Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mom3x Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 06:44 PM
    Taxes being reviewed for denied EIC
    Our daughter was disallowed from our 06 taxes. I have sent the IRS form8862 in July and got a response in September. I was then asked to send s.s. cards and birth certificates for all 3 children and proof from school or Dr. I sent that information on December 4. I received a letter today stating I had till February 17th to get a reply from them. Why does a review take so long and can I get help to speed up the process?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 07:35 PM
    Why was daughter disallowed? You did not state this. There is no way to prod the IRS along on anything. They take their sweet old time deciding anything.

Jan 10, 2008, 07:57 PM
    She was removed on her fathers 04 and 05 taxes because we were not married and I did not want to file jointly aned become common law married in our state. I claimed my 2 boys like I always have and let him claim our daughter. It went through in 03 but he usede rapid refund in 04 and was flagged. She did not attend child care and the Dr. information was in my name. I don't know many dads that solely take their children to the Dr. So we had no acceptable proof to claim her. I think its terrible. She costs us the most yet we can't claim her
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 08:54 PM
    Mom3X:

It has NOT yet been decided for sure.

Further, if she is disallowed, you can appeal.

You MAY want to get professional help, like an enrolled agent.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 08:56 PM
    If you are not married and have claimed your boys why would you not be able to claim her. Have you just been "letting" him claim her or is he just doing this on his own without your say so as he has got to stop doing that if you have full custody of her. They get pretty fussy with the EIC exemptions and that's why he got flagged in the first place.

Does she live with you more than 6 months of the year? If she does she should be your exemption, not his unless you have given him permission (or you two have some kind of agreement that permits him to do this) then there should be no problem. EIC does not mean the child has to go to daycare either. It means that the child lives with you and your income falls into the guidelines where the government offsets this child with a tax credit and you are eligible for money either taken off your taxes or money given to you as you made their guidelines money wise. Also her age comes into play in this as well. Is she under the age limit to be able to qualify you for EIC deduction?

Jan 10, 2008, 09:36 PM
    It was a mutual decision of ours. I felt like he deserved to be able to claim her since he is her father. It would've been unfair for me to claim her also considering the third child does not really count for EIC I have been told. No, children do not have to attend childcare facilities to be elidgeable for EIC that was just one of the ways the IRS stated we could prove she was taken care of by her father. They would also accept School records or Dr. records.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 09:47 PM
    Okay; let us know what the IRS decides.

Jan 10, 2008, 10:05 PM
    So you're telling me that the average American isn't able to get results by themselves when dealing with the IRS? I think that's a shame. Not everyone is trying to deceive the IRS. Nor can I afford to hire help to get the money owed to me. It's a messed up situation.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 10:43 PM
    Looks like you'll have to start claiming her if you want the EIC credit if they rule against you. He can still claim her if he wishes but can't do the EIC thing and get the extra money. I don't know what her share of the EIC refund would be as you have 2 other kids on your refund as well but you could give this portion to her father if you feel so bad about everything and want to help him out. That's a possibility for you.

The IRS as I said is rather touchy about the EIC deduction and they're the ones who made the rules. And yes, a lot of people like to try and sneek by the IRS doing things they should not do and honest folks are the ones who end up getting hurt.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 11:55 AM
    Mom3X:\

I PM'd the IRS URL for the Tax Advocate, as well as the toll-free phone number.

However, having re-read all the above posts, I believe the IRS suspects that you and your daughter's father are trying to perpetrate EIC fraud by having HIM claim your daughter and request the EIC even though she lives with you. That is why they want the school and doctor records, as those records usually indicate WHERE the child is living.

If the father is providing more than half of his daughter's support, he CAN claim her as a dependent, no problem. But to get the EIC, she MUST live with him as well.
    mcsassy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2013, 05:59 AM
    I have lived with my daughter from march 2011-thru present mar 2013. My daughter is disabled and I have claimed her on my tax from the beginning, my daughter also has a child (my grandson) this year I claimed him on my taxes and the eic portion was withheld. Got letter requesting info to be sent, ex: copies of birth certificate, proof of living statement from landlord, rent receipts, electric and water bills. Then I get another letter requesting addition info... I don't know what else they need.
    Has any one else had this problem
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2013, 09:07 AM
    EIC fraud is the #1 tax fraud problem, and the IRS is cracking down, so that requires you provide proof of your situation by submitting the requested documents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insurace denied [ 4 Answers ]

A friend of mines brother needs serious help, but no place with a bed for him is accepted by his insurance. He does have insurance, so he's not covered under a rule 25 n Minnesota, is there another way to get help paying. They are kicking him out tonight.

Acess denied [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to install a program from a set of CDs I bought but every time I put in the install CD I get "access denied." Help!

Access is denied ? [ 2 Answers ]

There is still a problem when I want to access to my ibm computer through my emachine PC I can access it easily but when try to access my emachine through ibm it says emachine is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource . Contact the administrator of this server to...

Love denied [ 1 Answers ]

My one and only split up with me at the beginning of this week. He is a Libra, birthdate 6th October 1981, born in Stafford. I am an Aries, birthdate 18th April 1982, born in Derby. (Both places in the UK). We were together for three years, and had many plans and dreams we wanted to fulfil...

Love denied [ 1 Answers ]

Hey there. I've been in a serious relationship with a man I really love beyond a doubt and deeper than the earth for almost three years. At the beginning of this week he split up with me out of the blue. I have recently graduated and have moved home which is not far away from him now, which...

View more questions Search