Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PGerard Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 07:31 AM
    Shower Drain Size
    Hi There. This should be a fairly simple one. I'm putting a standing shower stall in my basement washroom but don't have rough-in for a shower. The rough-in for the toilet and lavatory are there, however. The lavatory drain is 1 1/2" but turns into 2" about 8" above the concrete. Because I am plumbing above the floor for my shower, i have to put the shower on a raised platform. In order to do this and not have a huge step to deal with, I plan on draining my shower with 1 1/2" ABS pipe, so my vertical space requirement under the shower will be much less than if I used 2". The drain pipe will then travel about 8' into the bottom part of the lavatory drain, which is 2" at the junction. I plan on giving the 1 1/2" drain pipe about 1/4" per foot of slope, so the overall slop should be about 2". My vent for this drain will be about 18" from the shower p-trap, between the shower and the lavatory. I have included a drawing which I hope will help visualize the situation (though the view is from the top). Does this sound/look acceptable?
    Hmmm... I can't seem to put the picture in here for some reason... maybe I can email it to someone if this gets looked at..
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 13, 2006, 01:53 PM
    Looks good to me. The only thing I would change is the 90 coming out of the shower. I would use two 45's or a long sweep to do away with the sharp bend. I would also install a cleanout on the shower line for a little insurance.
    Good luck, Tom
    PGerard Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Looks good to me. The only thing I would change is the 90 coming out of the shower. I would use two 45's or a long sweep to do away with the sharp bend. I would also install a cleanout on the shower line for a little insurence.
    Good luck, Tom
    Thanks Tom... That's a very good suggestion considering my decision to go with 1 1/2" drain... I struggled with this a bit and you have definitely set my mind at ease. I have only been a member for 2 days but have reviewed many of your answers about plumbing and they have all been excellent... it's a learning experience. Thanks again.
    Trafcon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2008, 10:21 PM
    PGerard, You're probably done by now but a 1 1/2 inch shower is fine especially if you use one of the new lower flow heads. I'm building a shower right now myself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing Basement Shower Drain with Washing Machine Drain [ 5 Answers ]

Hi folks: I would like to install a shower that drains into the same drain as my washing machine. Right now the washing machine drain, 1-1/2" ABS, comes in horizontally about 12" above the concrete floor into a 1-1/2" Tee on a vertical pipe. From this Tee, the vent goes straight up to the...

Shower weep hole drain turned into tub drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my shower to a roman tub. The existing drain is a weep hole drain. Is there a plug for these type of drains? The idea is to use the same drain system and hot mop, tile, etc. around it.

Rebuilding Shower - Leveling new shower drain? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have come to the postings to get some help as I am a novice plumber. I've gutted my ensuite tilled shower down to the floor. In whacking out the cement pan, and I assumed that I've probably cracked the old drain so when I got to the wood floor I cut away the older PVC 2" piping back...

3" PVC toilet drain size performance? [ 2 Answers ]

How appropriate and adequate is 3" PVC drain for a toilet? It would solve the current issue I have with a ridge from trying to mate 4" PVC to cast iron. I could slip the 3" pvc right into the main stack and avoid the butting of PVC and cast iron. I do see that most PVC toilet goods come in both...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search