Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ConcernedFather Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 09:13 PM
    Child Support After 18 - California Law
    Hi, I am Concerned Father of an 18 year old daughter. She has been living with her mother since she was 7. Although we had JOINT Custody, the mother would not agree to let my daughter live with me at anytime after the divorce in fear of being alone. After 11 years of faithfully paying child support and other necessities and non during her adolescents, I have been asked to continue Child Support in addition Pay for College after she turns 18 while being full or part time student. I am of minimal income, yet steady employ and was looking forward to helping my daughter with her financial needs while attending school, but want to know if it is mandatory or is it a GOOD FATHERLY thing to do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 7, 2008, 09:21 PM
    1. Sorry don't blame your wife, she did it because you did not take her back to court to force her, you could have done that anytime if you had a joint custody. So basically you did not want her bad enough to take your ex back to court to have her found in contempt.

2. 11 years of paying child support, yes that was ordered and only right to pay for your child.

3. what does your child custody agreement says, many say you keep paying as long as the child is in college. So you get out your copy of the latest chid custody order ( assumign someone went back to court in 11 years) and see what it says you have to do.

Many people are back into court every year to three years fighting over some issue.
    ConcernedFather Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 09:44 PM
    Thanks for the quick answer.

1) I felt my daughter would be better to live with her mother, since I am still single and was living 1500 miles away. So, yes it was not to my daughters best interest to live with me.

2) I never complained about paying child support, mostly proud to be a part of it.

3) We Never have went back to court, I just doubled Child Support a few years ago on my own.

I just figure I need to ask if I continue to be a good father and continue with this support, is it possible (can I, or is it in my rights) to claim dependency for her now that she is over 18 years? Even if she lives with her mother still? Since I am paying for it?

I do not have great communication with my X, and if I suggested that I want to claim the education expenses on my taxes - well, it won't be pretty.

What are my rights now if there was nothing mentioned in the original divorce documents about further education after my daughter reaches 18 years. Is that just an unwritten law?

Thanks again - and thanks for removing the other post.
    I was trying to do that myself.

CF
    screar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2012, 11:52 AM
    My ? Is this, I pay child support for two of my children, one is 23 and the other is 30. This is not back pay as I been paying for 18 years for my daughter and about 25 years for my son. My daughter was 5 yrs.old when I moved away,her mother remarried about 10 yrs ago. Why are they still seeking money from me?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2012, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by screar View Post
    my ? is this, i pay child support for two of my children, one is 23 and the other is 30. this is not back pay as i been paying for 18 years for my daughter and about 25 years for my son. my daughter was 5 yrs.old when i moved away,her mother remarried about 10 yrs ago. why are they still seeking money from me?

They're seeking it because they want money from you.

A better question is why you're paying it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Continued child support when child quits school [ 9 Answers ]

I live in New York & this is my question... Does one have to continue paying support when the child quits school at 17? His mother will not enforce any rules on the child & will not make the child work or at least get his GED. Mother & father were never married, court ordered support payments,...

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

View more questions Search