Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nhouseholder Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2008, 07:03 PM
    Discoloration of front tooth
    Recently, my son fell and hit his tooth on the cabinet counter top (about a week ago). We have notice that the tooth is discolored and is starting to turn black. What should we do? Is this long term damage or can it be reversed. He is 5 years old. The tooth is not chipped or cracked nor does it bother him with pain.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 6, 2008, 07:10 PM
    It sounds like the nerve is dying. The dentist can bond it with a white covering or even put on a crown. The permanent tooth will grow in in a year or so.

You can leave it alone as long as there is no pain, but your son probably will be subject to teasing about the black tooth. (My son was in a similar situation.)

At least have a dentist check out what's going on.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2008, 06:20 PM
    The tooth is probably dead or the pulp chamber is bruised. The tooth will probably fall out in a year or so (maybe sooner). The dentist should take an x-ray to make sure there was no damage to the adult tooth.

If there is no damage to the adult tooth and there is no sign of infection on the baby tooth there is no reason the tooth couldn't be left until it falls out on it's own. If your son starts to avoid biting with this tooth, or says it hurts when something hot or cold touches it, or if there is a pimple like bump on his gum above this tooth then the tooth should be removed.
    It won't take long for the adult tooth to come in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broken Front Tooth. Looking for best treatment [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am Rahul from Bangalore, India. 10 years back, I fell and lost half of my front tooth. I haven't feel any pain in that. Till now, I was not in the position to pay for that, But Now I want to repair and want it exactly to be as close to the natural as possible. I am not worried about its...

Hole on front of tooth [ 11 Answers ]

Eeek! I've noticed a hole developing on the front of one of my teeth just above the gumline. I'm completely freaked out by this as I'm 27 and never had anything wrong with my teeth. Can anyone tell me if they know what this sounds like? I thought tooth decay happened from the inside out? Could...

3rd Front Tooth in 6 year old [ 1 Answers ]

My son had his right centre front baby tooth removed due to an accident and the new (second) front tooth grew in its place. However the new tooth that grew still looks like a baby tooth and is crooked. There now appears to be a third tooth growing in the same place. Is this possible? Will this...

Missing front tooth [ 2 Answers ]

My 13 year old daughter has a missing front tooth. She is very self conscious!:( Her milk tooth came out late, when she was about 10. As a result of that her adult front tooth is on the front of her gum and has not come down yet The dentist just keeps saying it will come down but I really don't...

View more questions Search