Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sanhwa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 08:31 PM
    Mortgage interest deduction on foreign held mortgages for second homes
    I am a little confused regarding second home mortgage interest on foreign held mortgages. Is the mortgage interest paid on a foreign held mortgage considered a second home with no rental income deductible on US taxes?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 5, 2007, 11:26 AM
    Yes, it IS deductible.

You just have to identify to whom you are paying the interest.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Mar 5, 2007, 12:47 PM
    I agree with ATE. Mortgage interest on a second home is deductible on schedule A as an itemized deduction, even if the second home is located outside the U.S. However, if you reside in the U.S. and the lender is a foreign person/bank, then you are required to withhold 30% tax on the interest portion of the payments, unless a lower treaty rate applies. Depending on the jurisdiction, a treaty may apply to reduce or eliminate the withholding tax. However, if you want to rely on the treaty, you need to obtain a Form W-8BEN from the foreign lender where the lender certifies that it qualifies for treaty benefits. In either case, you will need to also file Form 1042 and 1042-S reporting that you made interest payments to foreign persons.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2007, 01:24 PM
    Well said, INTL Tax
    epicurus Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2007, 08:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by IntlTax
    However, if you reside in the U.S. and the lender is a foreign person/bank, then you are required to withhold 30% tax on the interest portion of the payments, unless a lower treaty rate applies.
    I am confused, so I am paying the principle and interest, at the same time, I need to pay 30% of interest to uncle sam?
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 17, 2007, 08:56 AM
    No, you need to WITHHOLD 30% of the interest payment and send it to the U.S. government to insure the foreign bank PAYS U.S. taxes on the interest they collect.
    kevalshah Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 10:07 PM
    But withholding has to be done only if the bank's income is taxable in US right. If the bank's income is in the foreign country and it has not processed the loan here, how can we withhold tax and what tax to withhold if the foreign bank is not liable for taxes in US.
    kevalshah Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 10:10 PM
    The property is foreign property and so is the interest income for the bank - now how is the bank liable for taxes in US and why should we withhold taxes on such interest payments.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 10:51 PM
    If the property and the bank is on foreign territory, you do NOT withhold the 30% in interest.

You withhold it only if the property is in the U.S.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Jan 6, 2008, 01:23 PM
    IntL Tax is right. It is the residence of the debtor that governs the source and here it seems it is US source.

Second, you should think about the potential for a foreign exchange gain when you repay the foreign loan.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 6, 2008, 02:42 PM
    TTE always thinks of issues we normal tax pros NEVER think about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mortgages for mobile homes? [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: Can anyone tell me if they now of any company that will give mortgage for a mobile home with back credit? Please help

Mortgage Interest Deduction on Sold Home [ 1 Answers ]

We sold our home in 2005 moved bought a new home. Can I deduct the mortgage interest on the sold up until the date we sold? Thanks

US Tax on foreign property? Interest Deduction? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a US Citizen (US Marine) who has a Swedish Wife (with Green Card). We have bought a house in Sweden. We pay Swedish taxes on the house, and the rental income. Do I have a tax obligation to the IRS? Can I deduct the mortgage interest on my US Taxes? Any advice greatly...

Foreign Tax on you.S. Bank Interest [ 1 Answers ]

To Atlanta Tax Expert Thank You for your response

Tax deduction on foreign company invoice [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a S-Corp which is mainly engaged in web site design and software development for US customers. I am going to sign an agreement with a foreign company located in India for web site design works. Foreign company will invoice me for the services. All work will be performed outside the US....

View more questions Search