Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2HeadsRBetter Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 02:49 AM
    Hunter Ceiling Fan/Light w/remote installation
    Hello,

I am have a hunter ceiling fan and I am having trouble installing this correctly. From the ceiling of the wall I have 4 wires (Red/ Black/ White/ and bare Copper). From the fan there is are only 3 (Black/ White / Green). Please assist me with installing this fan. I have tripped the fuse on the circuit breaker 3 times and I am feeling a little beaten by the fan. Thanks for your help in advance.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2008, 09:43 AM
    Black to black OR red, white to white, green to copper, cap off the unused wire.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Jan 5, 2008, 12:04 PM
    I have the fan connect as you have stated. I capped off the red wire which was not used. I have attached a picture of a wall switch I has also purchased. Can you assist me with instaling this as well? Remember I did not connect the red wire from the ceiling into the fan, but the wall swith has all the wires connected to it. There is a change of the white wire into a black wire into the switch where they just added some wire, but I can clearly see where it is. Thank you for ryou help in advance
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 12:38 PM
    You can't use that wall switch and the remote.

Jan 5, 2008, 12:54 PM
    Would this not be compatible with the remote? The reason why I want this type of wall switch is because I do not have any way to control the fan other than from the remote. The current wall switch only turns on the light. So if the remote is ever broken or lost I need another way to control the fan from the switch. What would you suggest? Also the fan does not have any pull cords to operate the light or the fan, everything is from the remote.
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 12:59 PM
    That's the downside of remote fans. Actually, one of the many downsides.

You can buy a Hunter RF wall control and install that, provided the frequency matches the remote.

Jan 5, 2008, 01:21 PM
    Thanks for your help. What are some other downside to the remote fans, you made the statement as there are other problems I will run into later?

I am check the home depot website for another remote now. I will also look on the hunter web page as well.
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 04:57 PM
    They break down. A LOT. Hunters are significantly better than other brands that start with 'H'.

Ceiling Fan Brand & Manufacturer Recommendation - Ceiling Fans N More
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Ok that link has the wrong title, but it's the correct link.
    nia100 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2010, 01:29 PM
    I have a Hunter Universal Fan and Light remote control model 27185. Red wire hooked to the light, black to the fan. Now there is a white wire that connects to the common in ceiling. What is common? And there is a white/neutral and a black/hot to AC Power in. I have in the ceiling a black, red, white and bare. The fan I can hook up but the remote, I'm having the problem with.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2010, 02:47 PM

There should be 5 wires on the remote. Red goes to the light on the fan, black to the motor on the fan, white common goes to the white on the motor side. The other 2 black and white go to the power coming to the fan. You only need 1 wire in and you have 2, red and black. Pick what one you want-there should be 2 switches on the wall, connect it to the black in, wire nut and tape the other one and tuck it in the canopy. Bare wire goes to the fan mounting plate-there should be a green ground wire attached. You should be ready to go. Web site Hunter Fan | Hunter Ceiling Fans | Hunter Ceiling Fan and search for the remote model# will show you the diagram
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 06:28 PM

There should be two sets of wires on the fan. A set of three that connects to the fan, and a set of two that connects to the ceiling. Of the set of two, they connect to white and black OR red from the ceiling.

Ceiling Fan Wiring, Ceiling Fan Wiring Technical Help, Do it Yourself (DIY) - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hunter ceiling fan Remote control replacement. [ 22 Answers ]

This is driving me nuts. OK I know where the b and w wires go from the fan to the receiver also the " one " that says light out " which is red. What I have left on the receiver is Fan out and Common out. From the fan there is a brown wire by its self and a bundle with red, yel, gray,...

Hunter universal fan remote installation [ 3 Answers ]

Using fan with three wires... From fan: 1. black marked LIGHT KIT 2. black plain not marked 3. white marked NEUTRAL Hunter remote unit Five wires:

Hunter Remote with Hampton Bay fan & light [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay, Courtney Model 42-CN ceiling fan with light kit. It works fine. I am adding a remote control kit, Hunter Universal Model 27185. The directions for the remote call for a red wire leading to the light, but the wires from the ceiling are black, blue and white. Assuming blue...

Wiring Hunter Ceiling Fan w/ remote in older house [ 5 Answers ]

Okay I just made this whole post and it signed me out so now I'm doing it again. Situation: - older house, garage converted to 2 rooms - don't know what was installed in the ceiling before - wall dimmer switch - 4 sets of wires into ceiling box - hunter fan w/ light and remote control and...

Hunter Ceiling Fan Light Installation [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house with a Hunter ceiling fan with remote (no light). I went to the store and purchased a light to go with it. The instructions on the light say that I have to dismantle the entire remote system by unplugging it, but I don't see where I can do this. There are 2 black boxes with wires...

View more questions Search