Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ZeusThe Moose Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Rottweiler not gaining weight
    My 6 month rotti is only 53lbs and should be around 77lbs!! He eats 6 cups of food a day (neutro large breed puppy)! What can I do to increase his weight? His parents were huge! He was the pick of the litter as well. I know it is not a worm problem, I keep him on his meds and he was recently checked. What can I do? His father weighed in at 3 yrs of age nearly 200lbs, and his mother at 3 is almost 160. Will he ever catch up?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2008, 07:43 PM
    It is hard to say. For now, what you want to do is keep him lean and avoid excessive weight gain.

There was an extensive discussion of weight in a recent newsletter from a service dog school.

''Obesity is the number one nutritional disease affecting dogs. It's estimated that 25-45% of dogs in the US are obese. Studies have shown that joint and locomotive problems increase by 57%, circulatory problems by 74%, respiratory problems by 52%, skin problems by 40% and cancer by 50% in animals that are overweight.

Large breed dogs that are overweight also are more prone to developing hip dysplasia. Obesity is especially dangerous for young puppies, as their underdeveloped frame cannot support the extra poundage that it must carry.''

The service dog schools have been very successful with a program of an early switch to adult chow slowing growth and reducing joint problems. As much as you want to see him reach his parents size, you need to give him more time so he will have the joints needs to support that weight. I am a little concerned about a 200 pound Rottweiler. I doubt he would pass this test, LongLiveYourDog.com - Life Span Study - Rate Your Dog

What I would do is make your next bag of chow the adult formula. Evaluate him as in that link and adjust what you are feeding as needed, not for fastest growth, but for ideal body condition. He would eat more if you gave it to him? There are dogs that insist on showing their ribs. In that case, leave well enough alone if it isn't too bad. What does your vet say about him? Some dogs turn out to be runts. My Lab, Xanthe, is about 35 pounds at 4 months.
    dogpoundbrenda Posts: 78, Reputation: 12

Jan 3, 2008, 11:24 PM
    I had a Rottie and she would maintain a weight average of 85-90 lbs.You don't want a fat dog especially one prone to hip dysplasia.Here is a link to Rottie info that may be useful
    To you... Rottweiler Information and Pictures, Rottweilers, Rottie, Rotties..
    paintballchic Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Jan 3, 2008, 11:39 PM
    Its all right that's normal plus you don't wan him 2 fat its just a phase don't worry 2 much he'll be plump again one day soon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why am I gaining weight? [ 5 Answers ]

About a month ago I decided I need to lose weight, I have started walking 30min a day 5x a week, stopped eating fast food, junk food and drinking soda. I eat breakfast now rather than skip it I sip on water all day about 6-8 glasses and I have been eating pretty healthy food (lots of fruits and...

Ideal weight of Rottweiler [ 1 Answers ]

What would be an ideal or max or weight range for adult male Rottweiler?

Gaining weight? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get me pitbull to gain weight?

Why am I not gaining weight [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have been lifting weights for about two month now eating good healthy food, and taking protein shakes at least three times a day. The problem is I am not gaining weight I am in fact losing weight. Why? I am lifting three days a week for at least an hour a day if not longer, but I am not...

View more questions Search