Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaylaj6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 09:42 PM
    Gnats and flies!
    I've had a problem with gnats ands flies for a long time now. I have 3 rabbits, 2 cats 1 puppy and I keep their areas of the house clean. They were usually in the kitchen but now they are everywhere. People can't come to my house because I'm afraid of what they may think of my housekeeping skills, even though my house is clean. They get into the fridge the sink the bathtub everywhere. I tried cans and cans of spray but they just keep coming. I love this house but I can't take it any more. Also my garbage disposal is broke
    Can any one help me with some suggestions? PLEASE!!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 09:48 PM
    Is it little swarming black bugs? Wipe out your sink, do not leave any dampness in those areas. Keep your toilet lid down, wipe down shower/tub. Do not leave dishes in drainer. Keep all fruit,bread,food put away. We usually have them for a few weeks in the fall but as soon as it gets colder they leave.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 09:49 PM
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/pest-c...tml#post807112 excons has the same problem... nohelp gave him some good suggestions.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 09:56 PM
    Flystrips might work. I put oil of lemongrass on surfaces near places that they like. Bugs hate lemongrass oil. Orange oil, which is in some cleaners will kill bugs too and it doesn't hurt people or animals like bug spray. Citronella candles work too.

I have a gnat/fruit fly infestation in the hottest months of summer if I don't keep my bird cages really clean. There's something about certain wood chips that they like to breed in. Big flies like the cat box. I'm not sure what rabbits attract, mine seem quite bug free. In any case, the bugs like your house. That means that there is food for them, warmth, whatever and they keep on breeding. If they had nothing to eat, they would move on.

I'd get the garbage disposal replaced, or removed soon. Those things are nasty when they aren't working right.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2008, 09:58 PM
    Also use bleach to clean.
    Pieces of cedar repel some bugs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Flies around my head [ 10 Answers ]

Hi I have a question that may seem strange, but my problem has been going on for too long. Is it possible for fruit flies or something that looks like it, to live on my head or hair? I ask this because these flies seem to follow me everywhere for about a 2 years now. If I'm asking this it is...

Fleas or gnats [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: I got 'em flying around, but how do you tell what they are, and are they on my cat? excon

Stinky smell BEHIND shower. AND GNATS! [ 1 Answers ]

About a month ago, I noticed a very foul odor in my upstairs bathroom and I was almost for certain that it was coming from there... but to my surprise, it was coming from the downstairs bathroom (the 2 bathrooms are stacked one on top of the other).. I found out that its coming from the downstairs...

Gnats - could the Septic Tank Cleanout be the Culprit? [ 6 Answers ]

We've noticed gnats in the kitchen area daily with no source found. Recently my husband mowed over one of the septic tank cleanout 's lid that protrudes up out of the septic tank. It is still covered, but could this be the cause of our gnat problem? The septic tanks are working just fine, but...

Gnats/flies in drain pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Sorry for posting another question so quick after you answered the first but I had something else I wanted to get your opinion on. This is my first house and I am still learning on how to work simple plumbing jobs. We have a clean-out on the outside of our house so you can access the pipe that runs...

View more questions Search