Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msppp1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2007, 02:57 PM
    Need 46 inch wide shower
    I need to replace one of my one-piece, fiberglass showers. It is 46" wide, 34 " deep. Does anyone know where I can find a 46 inch wide shower? All of the units on the market seem to be either 36", 48" or 60".

Thanks for your help!
    harlysdream66 Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Dec 31, 2007, 05:21 PM
    Must be and old one , why don't you build one out of sheet rock and tile it
    Try this site, signature hardware .com

But I think you will not find the one you want sorry
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 05:37 AM
    By cutting a few studs and doing some drywall patching you can put a 48" unit in.

I have retro-fit many units this way.

Ken
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 1, 2008, 10:32 AM
    I think you may find that your opening actually is 48" once you remove the old shower. The foberglass units are usually recesed into the wall, stud to stud should be 48"
    msppp1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 07:33 AM
    Thanks to everyone who has responded. I appreciate your help and input. I'll take the existing shower out and see what I've got to work with in terms of spacing between studs.

Thanks again everyone and belated happy new year to you all!

Jan 3, 2008, 11:10 AM
    I have used Swanstone Shower Walls & Floors with great success. Lasco and Mustee are also good brands I have installed, about $280.
    harlysdream66 Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Jan 3, 2008, 06:02 PM
    If you use sheet rock use the green 1/2 rock , its OK to use around water , and use a rubber membrain , up to three foot high. One thing my tiling friend taught me was when your tileing ,walls, measure , from the bottom , then only apply , two courses ,let that dry
    And your tile won't slide down , and only apply mud to the tile not the wall,you also use less,and waste less, mud , I wish you luck

Jan 4, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Harly, your friends technique of applying mud to the tile is partially what causes his tile to slip. We mud the wall and once the tile is set the excess thinset between the tiles helps to hold them in place, along with the proper spacer. In place of greenboard and a rubber membrane I install Hardibacker board which is in 3x5 sheets the thickness of drywall but as water resistant as cementboard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

5 inch wide pine flooring install and moisture content [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I bought 600 square feet of 5 inch wide pine flooring for my third floor - guest room and small office space. The rooms are currently old tongue & groove over joists subflooring with no finished floor ever installed since 1920. I was going to install the new pine running perpendicular to...

A room 8.5m long and 4.5m wide is surrounded by a balcony 2m wide. Find the area [ 1 Answers ]

A room 8.5m long and 4.5m wide is surrounded by a balcony 2m wide. Find the area occupied by the balcony

Framing for a 60 inch wide sliding glass door. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello - I have a closed in porch with windows on all 3 sides. As I am building a deck this summer, I would like to put a sliding glass door (60 inches wide) on one of the sides so I have access to the deck. Do do this, my plan is to replace 3 of the six windows on one side of the porch with the...

Looking for 30 inch square stall shower [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a plumbing supply house where I can buy a 30 inch square stall shower with removable walls to replace one installed in 1970? Thank you. hshields

A one inch offset for a shower drain? [ 2 Answers ]

I have removed the tile from by shower floor along with the drain. I then realized that the drain is not centered in the shower stall, it is off by one inch from center. The stall is on a concrete slab and the pipe is a 2" cast iron, I know they make off sets for toilets, but just wondering if...

View more questions Search