Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpopper Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Optimal thermostat settings fro 2- zone heating
    Hi,
    I live in a 2- story home with 2- zone heating. Bedrooms are on the 2nd floor. During the day we set the 1st floor thermostat to about 66 or 67 degrees. In the evenings the thermostat for the 1st floor is set to 58 degrees as the entire family will be asleep upstairs. (I live in the northeast.)

What would be the ideal, (most efficient) setting for the 1st floor thermostat in the evening? My concern is that perhaps we are using more energy to re-heat the 1st floor in the mornings, so perhaps we should only reduce the setting by 2 or 3 degrees.

Also, during the day we greatly reduce the upstairs setting as the 1st floor is heated and the heat naturally rises to the 2nd floor.

Any thought on the subject will be appreciated. Thanks for looking...
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 31, 2007, 11:45 AM
    What kind of heat do you have?

Dec 31, 2007, 03:22 PM
    Sorry for omitting the obvious. Natural gas is our fuel, supplied by con Edison. 2nd floor has baseboard devices. st floor has radiators. House was built in 1909. We live 25 miles north of New York City.

Dec 31, 2007, 03:31 PM
    With natural gas its is OK to set back as much as you want actually. The only thing a set back does is slow up the rate of thermal transference. In other words at a temp of 72 more heat will be lost than at 65. When you go to reheat to 72 you will use more energy BUT your heat cost will be less overall since the zone was lowered for so many hours and in turn it lost less heat during that time.

Set back thermostats are not miracles. It will only save a small % of fuel but in this day all savings count at the bottom line.

Jan 1, 2008, 05:25 PM
    Thanks for the speedy reply and great info. I was just floored by the amount of last month's bill, compared to same period last year.
    therinnaiguy Posts: 153, Reputation: 5

Jan 2, 2008, 10:43 AM
    I always suggest to my customers that they do not lower the non-used zones by more than 5 degrees. Hvac1000 is correct in his reasoning of heat transference. Cold objects radiat cold, warm objects radiat warm. By keeping everything within a few degrees of each other, you are not using more fuel to keep them at a constant. However if you try and heat up an object more than 5 degrees, you use twice the energy.

Jan 2, 2008, 12:33 PM
    My thinking may be flawed but consider this... By lowering the 1st floor temp, we are not using the heating system for about 8 hours per day. It's hard to imagine that re-heating the 1st floor in the morning will use more energy than we save by keeping the system set in this manner. Of course I may be incorrect with this theory, which is why I'm posting this topic.

Jan 2, 2008, 12:49 PM
    To a degree your thinking is correct. My advice is to try different settings and see what in your opinion is a comfortable length of time the system takes getting the first floor to your liking. Get a programmable thermostat where 1 hour before you get home or get up in the morning, it raises the temperature to your comfort range. Going from 5 degrees to 10 degrees below comfort point will change the length of time needed to get the first floor up to temperature. Try it!

Jan 2, 2008, 03:32 PM
    That's my plan. I intend to carefully monitor setting and compare the next bill to the previous one. I will post back the results. Thanks for your response and interest.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by therinnaiguy
    I always suggest to my customers that they do not lower the non-used zones by more than 5 degrees. Hvac1000 is correct in his reasoning of heat transference. Cold objects radiat cold, warm objects radiat warm. By keeping everything within a few degrees of each other, you are not using more fuel to keep them at a constant. However if you try and heat up an object more than 5 degrees, you use twice the energy.
    Cold objects absorb heat. There is no such thing as cold, cold is the absence of heat.

Jan 2, 2008, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernHeat
    Cold objects absorb heat. There is no such thing as cold, cold is the absence of heat.
    Keep it stupid simple, I try not to impress people with too much techno-babble.

Jan 2, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Sorry rpopper for my less than 100% politically correct scientific explanation of how heat seeks cold because I have been publicly disciplined in the fact that there is no such thing as cold. Well good lord' there is a big absence of heat out there tonight!
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 06:52 PM
    Lol, Just trying to keep information straight for others who may read these posts for years.

Jan 4, 2008, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by therinnaiguy
    Sorry rpopper for my less than 100% politically correct scientific explanation of how heat seeks cold because I have been publicly disciplined in the fact that there is no such thing as cold. Well good lord' there is a big absence of heat out there tonight!
    Well, clearly I'm no expert, but... the production of heat requires energy. A simple law of physics. So, where there is no energy we have the absence of heat, i.e. COLD. It's very real and I suspect that it is defined in the dictionary as well as in physics & chemistry text books. To say there is no such thing as HEAT, is simply incorrect!

Jan 4, 2008, 01:47 PM
    I guess instead of saying it is cold we should all say we sure are missing some heat today. LOL Then all the old cold jokes go out the window. Johnny Carson would be up set since he always used the how cold is it scenario for the beginning of some of his shows.

Example How cold is it. Answer It is colder than a well diggers A$$. LOL

How cold is it. It is so cold it froze the balls off the Brass Monkey.

Brass Monkey was the British ship term for the brass cannon ball holder on ship deck. The cannon balls were made of iron. When it would get real cold the brass would contract causing the iron cannon balls to fall off and roll around the deck. A very dangerous situation. History lesson 101.
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    I guess instead of saying it is cold we should all say we sure are missing some heat today. LOL Then all the old cold jokes go out the window. Johnny Carson would be up set since he always used the how cold is it scenario for the beginning of some of his shows.

Example How cold is it. Answer It is colder than a well diggers A$$. LOL

How cold is it. It is so cold it froze the balls off the Brass Monkey.

Brass Monkey was the British ship term for the brass cannon ball holder on ship deck. The cannon balls were made out of iron. When it would get real cold the brass would contract causing the iron cannon balls to fall off and roll around the deck. A very dangerous situation. History lesson 101.
    I've heard that before also, but just about a year ago I heard the brass monkey theory was but a myth, lets ask Myth Busters.

Cold is easier to say than a total lack of heat energy, plus the word cold has been around longer than physicis new what heat energy was, but ancient people new what an absence of heat was "COLD!"

I only said something about it because of the statement "cold radiates cold" which was incorrect, I f you had said cold absorbs heat I would have been fine with it. And now you are trying to compare that with the new statement, because heat is a form of energy there is no such thing as HEAT. So I went back to 2 college physics books and the word cold is not even in the glossary or the index. So then I went to the dictionary and it says
    1 "The absence of heat"
    2 "the sensation produced by low temperatures"
    3 "A mild viral infection involving the nose and resperatory passages (but not the lungs)"

I'm done with this post now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Optimum settings for dual zone heating and air conditioning [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 5000 sqft home with dual natural gas furnaces and AC Units. The main unit covers the basement and main level of the home. And the second unit is installed in the attic above the bedroom level (3rd level). The thermostat for the main unit is in the family room and the thermostat for the...

2 Zone Heating System [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2 zone hot water, gas heating system in my home (1 heater, 2 zones). When the temprature drops below 35 degrees, hot water does not cycle through my 2nd floor heating zone. The zones works fine when its above 35, but when its below not hot water circulates thorught the zoen. My 1st...

Heating one zone not good [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: :confused: hi, I am having trouble with my heating on one floor only, the thermostat reads 68 degrees, this is correct we have verified it with another thermostat, the thermostat doesn't hold the temperature that it I enter (it is digital), the boiler pump works the hot...

Dual Zone Heating [ 2 Answers ]

I have forced hot air dual zone heating at my home. When I set the temperature at 70 in the first floor.. The fan is also blowing in my 2nd floor and the temperature increases in the 2nd floor to 70. Where as the thermostat in the second floor is set to 62. I looked at the furnace and saw a...

View more questions Search