Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    felixt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2007, 06:05 AM
    Gauge of Wire From Meter to house,100 amp fuses,200 feet run.
    Hello,

I am intending to replace some wire that runs for 200 feet, from my meter to my house.I live on an island, so the run is quite long !

At either end are breaker boxes with 100 amp fuses in each.Never had any trouble/ fuse blows etc.

The old wire (each of the 3 strands) are a little over 1/4 " in diameter. It's old so has no gauge indicator.

Do you think I should be looking at AWG 1 to replace it with?

Thanks for your help.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 31, 2007, 07:03 AM
    I think that if you suspect the wire to be failing you need to verify that. However, keep your hands off the wire if it belongs to the utility company.

Call the utility company and let them take care of their cable run. DIY stuff normally starts from the panel box to the inside of the house. Anything before the panel box belongs to the power company.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2007, 07:09 AM
    For this run, I would use #4/0 aluminum, if aluminum is allowed in your area.

If pulled through conduit, then use XHHW insulation, or if direct buried, then use URD 3 wire cable, assuming the Main breaker is located in the home, and not at the meter.

Check with your utility, I believe you will find this cable your responsibility.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wire service, wire gauge 100 amp [ 9 Answers ]

I'm installing a 100 amp service in the backyard with a separate meter on a pole next to sub-suface power tranasformer. I have a 100 amp meter box on one side of the pole and a 100 amp braker panel with a 100 amp main breaker on the other side. I'm going to place in it a 15-20 amp breaker for gfi...

Wire Gauge? [ 7 Answers ]

I've been looking for 2 days for an online wire gauge calculator. I'm going to relocate my meter to the side of my house (converting from overhead to underground service), then I'm going to remove the existing electrical panel (from the outside of the house) and install a breaker panel on the...

Connecting 14 gauge wire and 12 gauge wires in the same blue box. [ 2 Answers ]

I am wiring my basement. All the outlets are running off 2 independent 20 amp circuit breakers connected to each other by 12/2 wire. I wanted to run some stubs off my 12/2 outlets. All each stub would do is run to a small light (max 180 watts) and of course a light switch. Since I ran out...

Running THHN wire above 8 feet. [ 3 Answers ]

I am wiring a barn/shop area and have run all wiring in EMT conduit except above 8 feet where I have run some ROMEX to lights. My question is: I need one extra wire for a 3-way switch traveler wire. Can I staple this along side of the ROMEX wire above 8' in the hi bay area, or does it have to be in...

Gauge of wire? [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you for responding. I would like to know what size of wire I need to run a circuit 125 amp, 240V to a sub panel 244 feet away? Or, what size of wire I need to run a circuit 60 amp, 240V to a sub panel 244 feew away? Thank you in advance

View more questions Search