Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nonie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2007, 05:28 AM
    How to remove the black tile glue from a conrete floor in the basement.
    How to remove the black glue from a concrete floor in the basement. We removed the tile, which was buckling and now we are left with a black, uneven mess. We would like to just paint the floor. Please help.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 31, 2007, 06:05 AM
    We had flooding in our basement and had to have it cleaned up and renovated under our insurance policy. I don't use my basement for a living area, just storage. The renovators removed the old tile (there was residue from the old black glue) and at my request just painted it all gray. It looks good and clean and tidy.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2007, 07:00 AM
    I would be afraid the old black stuff would bleed through before long. See if liquid cooking oil will soften it up. Wipe some on a small section and see if it softens it up. If not, you could try brake fluid. Although the brake fluid is toxic, neither produces fumes or evaporates. Both will require a good cleaning before painting.
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Dec 31, 2007, 07:36 AM
    You can go two routes:

1) a solvent, as labman suggested. What works for you will differ since there were so many kinds of mammy used.

2) Dry ice. It won't care what type of adhesive it is. It will freeze it and make it brittle enough to scrape off.

Regardless of the method you choose, you'll then want to use something like this to remove the offending adhesive:

<~~ long handled floor scraper, which utilizes a razor blade

Just keep in mind that mastic was not created with "ease of removal" in mind. It's a nasty job and there's no easy fix, but you can do it.

Final note: It is suggested not to attempt to glue another floor down after this. I have never tried myself, but it's said that the remnants of the old adhesive absorbed into the concrete will mesh with the new and cause failure. It's suggested that you lay a new subfloor down.

Thanks,
    Json
    mlynnhoward Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2012, 11:01 AM
    What is the best product on the market today for removing hardwood flooring glue?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing black adhesive from floor before installing new vinyl tile [ 6 Answers ]

I have a bathroom (at the church I belong to) that has a hard type of vinyl tile in it. A toilet has overflowed 2 times in the past and flooded the floor. As a result, a lot of the tile has come loose. I have the replacement VINYL tile, but need to know how to continue. Under the tile is black...

What is that black stuff under my vinly basement floor tiles? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I've seen posts about black mastic adhesive, but I'm not sure if that's what I've found. My basement carpet got wet during the nor'easter last weekend when my power went out, preventing my sump pump from working. It wasn't the 1st time this carpet got a soaking (no measurable water, but it...

How to rough in plumbing for a conrete slab floor [ 3 Answers ]

How deep should you dig and what type of pipe should you use for a concrete slab floor?

How to remove ceramic tile removed from concrete floor [ 3 Answers ]

There is a 3'x4' area of ceramic tile at the base of my stairwell between living and dining areas. Laminate flooring will be laid. Is it necessary to remove the small area of tile? Or, can laminate flooring be laid over it? If it needs to be removed what is the simplest way? :(

View more questions Search