Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linday Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2007, 01:15 PM
    Toilet water level too high
    When the bathroom toilet is flushed, the water level is higher than it should be, there is spluttering of water coming from the bath plug hole and knocking sounds from the air admittance valve fitted below the hand wash basin. Water draining from the basin also sometimes causes spluttering in the bath. The bathroom toilet water level returns to normal. But the downstairs toilet is not flushing properly and the water level remains high. Before this the level has been also very low. The symptoms are puzzling and variable.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 29, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Sounds like the AAV may be faulty. Replace it and see if things don't drain better with less noise. What does the downstairs toilet do that makes you think it's not flushing properly? Weak flush? Back up? What? Regards, Tom
    linday Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Sounds like the AAV may be faulty. Replace it and see if things don't drain better with less noise. What does the downstairs toilet do that makes you think it's not flushing properly? Weak flush? Back up? What?? regards, Tom
    Thanks for your reply. Both toilets flush normally but the water does not flush away immediately and it is not entirely clean water that remains. The level gets very high but does recede as it should in the upstairs toilet. In the case of the downstairs toilet, it remains high for considerable time (hours). Toilet tissue does not all get flushed away. The situation regarding downstairs toilet seems to improve late at night. I wonder if general water use is less by this time (morning showers etc). Could there be a partial blockage outside where water levels are building up there, when we discharge more water? But the AAV does make an odd banging noise and I do associate it with the problem. Your time is appreciated. We will have to get other professional help in but it is useful to have your opinion so that we can trust the advice we may get. Bad time of year to try to get any assistance! Just hope the problem doesn't escalate before we can find someone available!
    Many thanks, Linday

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Water Level [ 5 Answers ]

How do I lower the water level in a toilet? I just bought a condo and the water level is much too high, it has to be lowered. How would I do it without calling a plumber? Can anyone help??

My toilet flange is too high and not level [ 15 Answers ]

Yes yes.. I'm a rookie. OK... Just wondering what I can do with my toilet flange. After I installed it I realize that the flange is about 1/4" higher than the floor and it is tilted to one side. Do you think an extra thick wax ring will allow me to level out my toilet AND compress it...

Water leakage + toilet bowl water level [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a new house (1.5years old) and I recently noticed water leakage from the ceiling just below the master bathroom on the 2nd floor. I called the home builders (I have warranty on this house) and they said they could not find any leaks and that it happened because of improper usage. I am...

Toilet water level [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all, Does a toilet bowl water level fluctuate. In other words, my bowl looks to be fuller sometimes than others. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when I flush, it sounds like the toilet is going to get sucked through the drain pipe. Everything appears to be operating...

Toilet water level [ 3 Answers ]

Toilet water level to low in bowl how do I fixe it :confused:

View more questions Search