Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joy2wrld Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Partial electrical outage
    I have a partial electrical outage in my home -- mainly my master bedroom. A few days before the electricity went out (overhead and plugs) there was a strong order like stagnet water or a fish pond. After the lights went out, the smell disappeared.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 10:41 AM
    I believe what you smelled is askril. That is when something in the electrical system burns up.
    You need to check the electrical circuit (s) for the bedroom to see where the problem is. A connection could have come loose and caused a over heat problem or a switching device or a outlet plug could also be at fault.
    It is always better for a home owner to turn off the power before you go taking things apart to find the problem.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 11:14 AM
    I am not familiar with that word. Askril. Are you sure of the spelling? I agree that something has come apart and I'd check the connections for hot and neutral starting at the panel and all along the circuits. I am assuming you have already comfirmed power is still coming from the panel and the breaker isn't tripped.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 12:15 PM
    No I am not sure of the spelling. But that is what it is called.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 01:44 PM
    Joy,

How experienced are you with troubleshooting circuits?

If the insulation that covers the actual copper or alum. Conductors melted then there is either a high voltage situation or a high current situation. My money is on a high current problem. This can be caused by something as simple as a light bulb fusing and causing a short any where on your circuit.

Start by finding the entire circuit in question. At you panel box, make sure all of the breakers are set to on. Then replace one bulb at a time to see if you get the circuit up and running.

If that still fails , get a volt/ohm meter and start up the circuit and physically check each junction box for burn marks, and 120 Volts AC. If the entire circuit is still dead and you haven't found any burn marks or short conditions, loose connections or melted wiring then I would drop back 10 and punt the problem over to an electrician.

Also, although some of the trouble shooting with power supplied, whenever possible, kill the breaker and avoid working on live lines.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC after power outage [ 2 Answers ]

After coming back from a family trip, we found that there had been a power outage. Several breakers were off position and some electronics (especially telephone) are completely dead. Now, after resetting the breakers, all the power problems are OK except AC. The control panel of AC seems...

Power outage Generators [ 7 Answers ]

Got my house pretty well up ;and running, with your help.. Today was informed, Electricity will soon be cut to 4 hrs a day.. so back up generator may be the answer.. Question is, how to tell what size genarator should I get.. Got a 150 Amp Svc, Elect stove, Washer, dryer, water htr, AC about 4...

Partial power outage [ 3 Answers ]

At Any Given Time The Power Will Go Out Only In The Living Room (outlets, Fans, Lights Etc.) And Also A Couple Of The Outlets In The Kitchen That Include The Refrigerator, Stove And 2 Add'l Outlets, All Others Work. Also The Ac Goes Out. The Rest Of The House Works. We Have A Devise That...

Worker's Safety during a power outage [ 4 Answers ]

How long can an employer in CA keep workers at a site, restaurant, during a power outage? Specifically, this power outage happens in the evening and no lights are on, no fire alarm is working and the emergency lights are the only illumination.

Electrical outlet outage [ 2 Answers ]

While watching TV last night the outlet went dead. It may have been overloaded. However, when I tested the outlet, the checker indicated that the Hot and ground were reversed. The circuit breaker looks good and I reset it for good measure. How do I go about solving this problem? Thanks, Lloyd.

View more questions Search