Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zmedia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2006, 09:45 AM
    State and Local Wage on W-2
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=17149

Thanks for your info on another post, AtlantaTaxExpert. About the W-2,
    I am a little confused. I tried to read the W-2 guideline but still could not get it (I am new to this... ).

First what is the difference between State wage (box 16) and Local Wage (box 18) on W-2? I never paid attention to the numbers on my W-2... the one from my past employer.. box 16 and 18 are the same amount, but the W-2 from my present employer is showing different amount. I thought it supposed to be the same. In what situation, the amount will differ ('cuz mine is like 20k difference)?

Second the local income tax (box 19) is the tax you pay to the county where you live in?

Thanks a lot.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 22, 2006, 02:09 PM
    ZMedia:

Box 16 (State Wages) shows the wages earned in that particular state?

Box 18 (Local Wages) shows the wages earned in that particular locale, which could be a county but can also be a city.

Did you work in different locations? If so, that explains the different figures in Boxes 16 and 18.
    IvyL.Mo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2012, 02:47 PM
    Box 16&18 have different figures, I did not work in different locations, what do I do about box 18, should I add it to the box 16? Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 29, 2012, 07:24 AM
    Some states and localities do NOT recognize deductions which reduce the taxable salary, such as 401K or 403B contributions. Hence, the diffierent amounts for salary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regarding W2 and state/local tax.. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, When filing the state tax form, do we need to add both state tax (W2 - Box 17) and local tax (W2 - Box 19) for reporting the total tax withheld by the state OR the amount in Box 17 suffices? My status for 2005 was F1/OPT. Any help is appreciated! Thanks..

Question about yearly wage? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering if you could tell me if you think 55000 a year cdn is a good number or if its too low? I also was wanting to know what a good salary range is ?

I need advice! Wage garnishment? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I rented a car from AVIS, chose not to have to Loss Damage Waiver. Well it figures, while driving the convertible top flew open and bent the bars so it wouldn't close anymore. Right away I called AVIS and told them what happened, they said bring the car back. So, to make a long story...

Local Disk [ 3 Answers ]

Dear All, I just want to ask, since I don't know what to do yesterday about my 2 local disk partition, I decided to re-install the OS, and delete all the local partition that I have. What's left to me is the C:\ drive, I lost the drive that has a 7.8 MB free space. Is there a way I can retrieve...

AZ min. Wage? [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone knows what the minimum wage in Arizona is?

View more questions Search