Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    billbobby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2006, 04:24 AM
    Private caller
    [How do I find out who keeps calling my house when it comes up private caller?
    manutd4eva Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Jan 22, 2006, 04:31 AM
    it says private caller because hey have withheld there number by putting a prefix in front of yours (uk=141) so you are not meant to find out who it is but if they are making threatening or abusive calls go to your local police or phone provider as they know who it is and can get them in troble under the malicius communications act
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2006, 06:28 AM
    Hi, billbobby,
    Thank you for posting a question here at this site, and Welcome!
    To answer your question, you can't.
    The only way is to go to the Police, if it is threatening phone calls. If serious enough, they can trace calls, and other options.
    Meantime, do you have an answering machine?
    If you see the Caller ID has been blocked, then just let the answersing machine take the call. Probably there will be no message. But, the person doing it will eventually get tired of it, and hopefully stop calling. I do wish you the best of luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 22, 2006, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by billbobby
    [How do i find out who keeps calling my house when it comes up private caller?
    The FCC (in the US) really hamstrung the CallerID feature by allowing it to be blocked.

If you continue to get call like that you could use *58 (on some phone systems to put a Telco trace on the call. You then repoirt it to your Telco and if the calls are repeated, 3 or more times, the Telco will warn the caller. The best thing to do is discuss this with your Telco and ask what options you have. You didn't indicate where you are from which might have helped us provide a more definitive answer.
    Darth_Tanion Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

Jan 23, 2006, 05:24 PM
    Not sure where you are located Billbobby but in Australia here I get that happening all the time and there is nobody at the other end. Basically it just comes up private number then you answer and there is nobody there. Apparently it is call companies that have auto dialers. I've been told that what happens is it rings at your house but it also rings at the call company's end. They are supposed to answer and then you answer and they try to sell you something but if nobody is available to answer the ring at their end then it just hangs up. Unfortunately, I was told that there is not much the telephone companies can do about it so I guess it would have to be a matter for the police.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2006, 05:51 PM
    Maybe I should poke around Vonage's web site and see if they offer a feature to refuse calls without caller ID. If you can't let me have your phone number, I can do without your call.

Telemarketing is largely a thing of past in the US due to a federal law. Some states had banned it before that. Don't see why spam can't be banned too. At least my ISP stops most of it.
    Darth_Tanion Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

Jan 23, 2006, 05:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Maybe I should poke around Vonage's web site and see if they offer a feature to refuse calls without caller ID. If you can't let me have your phone number, I can do without your call.
    The only problem with that might be if somebody with VOiP tries to call you. We use VOiP at my office simply because it has cut our phone bill in half but when we ring someone with caller ID it comes up as private. If you block everyone with a private number then you will probably block all VOiP calls which are slowly becoming more popular.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2006, 07:26 PM
    I'll have to check, but I think my friends still get my number when I call. Vonage couldbe different from your provider.
    tanel Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 01:40 PM
    How do I find out the number of a private caller?

Mar 29, 2007, 01:45 PM
    How do I find out the number of a private caller in uk?

Mar 29, 2007, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tanel
    How do i find out the number of a private caller in uk?
    Did you bother reading the previous answers?

Mar 30, 2007, 07:10 AM
    How do I find out who keeps calling my house when it comes up private caller?

Mar 30, 2007, 07:22 AM
    Talk to your telephone company.
    acicomp Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Apr 19, 2007, 04:17 PM
    In the US, a "Private Caller" is someone that has simply chosen to block their number from outgoing caller id digits. Unfortunately, there is NO way to find out who it is. If the calls are of a harassing nature, you can contact you local phone company and/or the police department and get a case opened. The police and phone company will work together to find the source of your calls. They WILL NOT tell you who the calls are from. You also have the choice in the US to put on "anonymous call block" that will require the "private caller" to either identify themselves before you will ansewer or it will reject the call. Hope this helps.
    dave8080 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2007, 08:50 AM
    There are services like spokenbuzz where you can get a phone number that will automatically screen calls from unkonwn callerids. Then it will forward that call to your real phone.

SO you can give everyone your spokenbuzz number instead of your real number. Or, you can forward all your calls to your SpokenBuzz number and then have it forward to another number, like your cell, etc.

-Dave

p.s. I have noticed that the callerid of some blocked calls shows up on the forwarded call, so that might be the answer right there.
    shaqlee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2007, 07:30 PM
    The only ways to unblock a private call is to go to your phone provider and report the unknown call or go to the police for help
    ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Private Caller [ 7 Answers ]

Can anybody help me or give me suggestions of what to do when a privite caller keeps calling my moms cell and my house phone and saying my name and my sister's and my moms name really softly... it freaks me out that they call 3 in the morning... what should I do? Anybody knows how to unblock a...

Private numbers and caller ID on computer [ 14 Answers ]

Hello Everyone I have a question I would like to know so if you could help me I sure would appreciate it. Also this is my first time of on this site so bare with me a little please. I would like to know if I have a caller ID on my computer and the software can I received my calls on my computer...

Private [ 1 Answers ]

Can an anonymous e'amil be traced back to the sender if you use hotmail or Yahoo or some place like that?

Private IP Address [ 7 Answers ]

I'm having trouble connecting to the internet at my school via broadband connection. My computer will detect the network, but I keep getting assigned a private IP and cannot establish a connection. I'm running Windows XP. I've tried reinstalling the services and protocols, copying over clean...

Private Caller ID [ 5 Answers ]

Curious to know if anyone is familiar with receiving Private Caller from a calling card. I have a calling card that I purchased about 3 years ago that I keep adding minutes to. Anytime I use this calling card it shows on the receiving side as either a 720 or a 404 area code. Just recently, this...

View more questions Search