Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chris Petinaud Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2006, 12:48 PM
    Availability of passport for convicted felons
    My fiancée and I are planning out our honeymoon, but recent media articles have put a damper on these plans. We've read that in January 2007, all American citizens traveling throughout the Caribbean, and Mexico must be in possession of a U.S. passport. This even applies to simple border crossings. Unfortunately, this has forced me to revisit my status as a convicted felon once again. Will I be able to obtain a passport?
    aduckart Posts: 32, Reputation: 6

Dec 11, 2006, 01:44 PM
    What you will want to do is become very familiar with all of the information on the US Department of Travel Passport site (http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html). My husband and I are going to Australia/Fiji in April for our honeymoon and we also had to do some major research on the subject.

I'm unsure about the details about a convicted felony but this is the information from the site about the specific passport requirements come January 2007 and January 2008. Please note the highlighted:

Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

Again, please read the site as you'll save yourself a lot of headaches (missing information or what not) and good luck! Have fun on your honeymoon and congratulations! :)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2006, 09:06 AM
    Hello again, Chris:

Dude! What am I chopped liver?? If I wasn't cruising around, I would have never seen your question.

Here's the answer. I'm a convicted felon. BOY, am I a convicted felon, and I have a passport! IF you haven't been convicted of terrorisim, there is no law that prevents you from obtaining a passport. You're an American citizen and you have a right to one, just like any other American.

Here's the clincher. Apply. Pay your $90 or $120 bucks (I don't remember), and wait by the mailbox. It'll come. I promise. If it doesn't, let me know, and we'll go kick come State Department butt.

excon
    Chris Petinaud Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2006, 06:55 AM
    Thanks Bro. That really takes a load off the shoulders. Sounds like I could learn a lot from you. I'm assuming that you are familiar with my "obstacle", so I'll just ask you. How the heck did you rise above the mistakes of your' past, and regain forward momentum with your' life?
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2006, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Petinaud
    How the heck did you rise above the mistakes of your' past, and regain foward momentum with your' life?
    Hello again, Chris:

And, what makes you think I've risen above anything (he writes from his lonely cell on death row - where they allow him internet access)... Nahh, just kidding.

Look. I'm no better than you. I've had plenty of people out in the free world look at me with disdain. I got awfully tired of asking people for something, a visit, a better cell, a parole, an apartment, a job, a damn license for driving a lousy taxi cab, for crying out loud.

The person in the taxi department of the state thought I was the lowest of the low. But then decided, because he was so benevolent, to grant me one wish... I wonder what would have happened if wanted a job as a street cleaner...

So, I decided, that I'm not going to ASK for ANYTHING. Just like I don't suggest that you ASK for a passport. Demand it - don't ask.

Yes, that position limits me. But it also opens up opportunities. I'm self employed in a field that doesn't require licensing from ANYBODY.

Next. You're not a crook. You're a druggie. There's a BIG difference. The drug business is the most honorable business I know. Take those concepts into the legal business world, and you'll make a fortune.

excon
    exdetroit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2007, 03:50 PM
    I am in the same predicament! I am really scared, and once again embarrassed by my past. I know that Canada turns felons away, but I have no idea of anywhere else. I don't want to waste the money if I can't get a passport. Has anyone successfully traveled with a passport since a conviction, or applied or renewed a passport for that matter?
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2007, 04:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again, Chris:

Here's the answer. I'm a convicted felon. BOY, am I a convicted felon, and I have a passport! IF you haven't been convicted of terrorisim, there is no law that prevents you from obtaining a passport. You're an American citizen and you have a right to one, just like any other American.

Here's the clincher. Apply. Pay your $90 or $120 bucks (I don't remember), and wait by the mailbox. It'll come. I promise. If it doesn't, lemme know, and we'll go kick come State Department butt.

excon
    Hello detroit:

Like I said above.

excon
    CellerDoor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2007, 07:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Petinaud
    Thanks Bro. That really takes a load off of the shoulders. Sounds like I could learn a lot from you. I'm assuming that you are familiar with my "obstacle", so I'll just ask you. How the heck did you rise above the mistakes of your' past, and regain foward momentum with your' life?
    Chris:
    You overcome it by knowing yourself, and not allowing those a$$wipes to define you. The biggest problem I had to overcome was the idea that I COULD strive for better. That I wasn't just an ex-con but a regular guy who Fu(kd Up! All they teach when you are in prison, if you use any of the programs available is that hoping to get a job as a manager isn’t realistic, because you are scum (paraphrasing of course). They use words like realistic and rehabilitation, when really they want you to be programmed to be punishing yourself so they don’t have to. I have issues of course, but the thing I can say, the one thing that got me through this was decision to redefine myself –
    To: HardWorker/Thinker/Husband/Father.
    It gets tough, there will be times when the temptation will be huge, but the benefits in the end are worth it. At one time I was working at a job, my girlfriend was pregnant (she was bedridden), and wham they discovered my conviction and I was fired on the spot and black balled from most of the work in the area (this was while I was in Tucson AZ). It was tough, I ended up moving out of there to California once my daughter was born. We lived in the back room of one of our friends for almost a year, working temporary work until I worked my way up into a full time job (3 years), and I’ve been at that job for over 7 years now.
    I guess what it comes down to, is that you can live up to what is expected of you, or make your own expectations and live up to them.

Have a good one.
    steelo72 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jan 2, 2008, 02:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CellerDoor
    Chris:
    ....... I have issues of course, but the thing I can say, the one thing that got me through this was decision to redefine myself –
    To: HardWorker/Thinker/Husband/Father.
    It gets tough, there will be times when the temptation will be huge, but the benefits in the end are worth it. ......I guess what it comes down to, is that you can live up to what is expected of you, or make your own expectations and live up to them.

Have a good one.
    HE'S RIGHT!!

To all ex felons trying to do better: They will continue to kick you as long as you allow them. If your sentence has been served then it's up to YOU to ut the past behind you and shrug off the ignorance in our society that says you're scum. Martha Stewart had a television show and her company stock has risen since her release. Yeah, she's rich but we all have an opportunity to improve ourselves and HELL YES it's going to be hard. Best wishes to all of you in 2008 and I pray that God allows you to prosper beyond measure!
    jimstewa1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 18, 2008, 09:15 AM
    I am a convicted felon a 3rd degree drug trafficking charge and I just received my passport in November took about 45 days, I went on a cruise and went to jamaica and the caymon islands. All they did was look at passport nothing was ever said.
    jimstewa1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 18, 2008, 09:18 AM
    The us will give you a passport but not all countries welcome convicted felons, like canada australia just check before you travel.
    crjslick50 Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Apr 18, 2008, 05:48 PM
    A felony conviction will not stop you from getting a passport, I got mine 2007 2 months out of the pen.
    will1265 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 07:38 PM
    Many countries do not allowed felons to enter passport or not. Canada is one for sure. Here is a link to the Official Visa web site that will allow you to click on each country and check their requirements
    Visa Services
    cajoler Posts: 7, Reputation: -1

Aug 20, 2008, 05:51 AM
    It is no problem I have a felony conviction and got my passport with no problem. If you want to travel to europe land at shipol airport in the netherlands you can cruise anywhere from there. YOu'll find Amsterdam to be Very laid back Don't worry about your felony.

Aug 20, 2008, 05:57 AM
    It is no problem. It is your right to have a passport if you want one. Nowhere on the form are you asked if you have been convicted of a felony, so don't worry about it. Go have a good time. Try Amsterdam!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2008, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cajoler
    It is no problem. It is your right to have a passport if you want one. Nowhere on the form are you asked if you have been convicted of a felony, so don't worry about it. Go have a good time. Try Amsterdam!!

US grants passports to felons - no problem. US doesn't care if you leave. Other countries care if felons enter so a visa can be a problem.
    will1265 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2008, 08:23 AM
    Yes, passport are no problem however, three things
    #1, big difference between passport and visa, some countries also require a visa for US citizens and those who do are not likely to let you in
    #2 Some Countries such as Canada do not allow US citizens convicted of felonies to enter without a long review process
    #3 Even with a passport, if you are a felon, you are more likely to be detained for further review upon re-entry into the US.

Aug 21, 2008, 09:50 AM
    Most countries do not ask for police reports when you apply for a non-immigrant visa. In other words most places don't ask.
    Use a passport/visa expediting service when applying for a nonimmigrant visa. You'll get your visa
    Canada won't allow you in if you have had a DUI. Real hosers there eh!
    All 27 EU countries do not require a visa. You can travel country to country just like going state to state in the USA.
    England is strange and can be hard assed if they don't like they way you look however if you land at schipol international airport outside of Amsterdam Netherlands there will be no problem.
    Once you are through customs/passport control you can go anywhere in europe without a problem as long as you go by car bus train hitchinke bicycle walk.
    Once you land in europe and go through the airport it will usually be the last time anyone looks at your passport except at hotels and did you know you can make a copy of your passport for them to hold so you do not have to give up your original one.
    Most of Africa except for South africa requires a visa
    Most if not all of the middle east requires a passport
    Most of asia does. Japan does not
    Most of South America does not require a visa to visit
    Most of central america does not require a visa to visit
    Who cares if you might be stopped for more questioning when coming back to the U.S. You are still a citizen and they have to let you in. Just don't try to smuggle

Aug 21, 2008, 09:52 AM
    Sorry about that it should read
    Most if not all of the middle east requires a visa
    Most of asia does also. Japan does not
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2008, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cajoler
    Canada won't allow you in if you have had a DUI. real hosers there eh!

At the moment Canada will not allow any felons into Canada - doesn't have to be felony DUI. Depends on whether the felony is in their computer system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

International travel for convicted felons [ 41 Answers ]

My friend is a convicted felon. I know he can't travel to canada until five years past the date of his crime or the end of his sentence (whichever is later)... But what about other countries? In particular europe? France, uk, etc. Will be denied entry? At the border? He already has a...

Future for felons [ 12 Answers ]

I am in my early 20's and have concerns that my felony for drug possession when I was 18 will come back to haunt me in my pursuit of an engineering career. I was wondering if anyone knew how difficult it is for an engineer to be hired with a felony conviction. Should I choose my college major...

Convicted Felons and travel [ 1 Answers ]

Can a convicted felon travel to the Caribbean? If so, is a passport required or will a certified birth certificate do?

Passport [ 2 Answers ]

I am going abroad in February and need to find out what steps do I take to change my passport to my new married name. I do not have much time to get this done since I just found out about this trip. Thanks for any information. PatS

Do I need a passport? [ 5 Answers ]

We are planning a trip to Memphis, from Canada. Is there a law yet, to have to have a passport. We are going in March. Do I need to do this?

View more questions Search