Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chamberchic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Elevated B 12 levels
    My daughter was told by her physician that she had elevated B12 levels. When she asked what that meant, he told her the only time he's seen this was when a child had leukemia.
    First of all, I was furious he told her that before any sort of testing being done. Second, I have searched the internet and found hundreds of articles about low levels of B12, but not elevated levels of B12. Does anyone know where I can go to get info on this?

Thanks!
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2007, 03:07 PM
    Well, I know that vitamin B12 is needed to produce an adequate amount of healthy red blood cells in the bone marrow and a lot of times vegans are at a higher risk of deficiency but I'm honestly not sure what it means to have elevated levels of B12. I googled this several different ways and could not find a thing. If I were you, I would search for a different doc ASAP; the way your doctor handled that situation in front of your daughter was very inconsiderate. Good luck and I'll let you know if I find anything else out.

That website is not working... I will copy and paste this info I found on a website

Results
    A vitamin B12 blood test measures the amount of vitamin B12 in the body. Normal values may vary from lab to lab.

Vitamin B12 160–950 picograms per milliliter (pg/mL)
    100–700 picomoles per liter (pmol/L)(SI units)

High values
    High levels of vitamin B12 can occur in liver disease (such as cirrhosis or hepatitis) and some types of leukemia. However, the vitamin B12 test is not usually used to diagnose these problems.
    In rare cases, high levels may be found in people with diabetes or are obese.
    jenscag Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chamberchic
    My daughter was told by her physician that she had elevated B12 levels. When she asked what that meant, he told her the only time he's seen this was when a child had leukemia.
    First of all, I was furious he told her that before any sort of testing being done. Second, I have searched the internet and found hundreds of articles about low levels of B12, but not elevated levels of B12. Does anyone know where I can go to get info on this?

Thanks!
    I hope by now you received the answer to your questions. My family also has elevated B12 levels. This is due to a genetic mutation in the gene that produces the enzyme which converts B12 to its active form usable by the body. The reason why there is too much B12 in the blood is because it is not being converted to its active form. At least that is the issue in our case. Usually in this case you might see B12 deficiency symptoms because your body is not receiving the B12 it needs... it is sitting gin your blood. Hope this helps... good luck!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2007, 02:29 PM
    From everything I looked up it could be an inherited b12 metabolism problem.
    But I am having a hard time finding anything but medical terminology and bits and pieces

The bits and pieces
    Neuropsychiatric illness in a patient with cobalamin G disease, an inherited disorder of vitamin B12 metabolism.

Megaloblastic anemia despite high vitamin B12 levels suggests one of the following possibilities: a disorder of vitamin B12 metabolism (rare),
    pj3469 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2009, 08:10 AM

What type of doctor would I go to find out if any of the above problems exist for my high B-12 in my blood work?
    Latina1971 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2009, 09:15 PM
    I have a 15 year old, and she too has elevated b12 levels. I am going to an Endocrinologist to see why. I have seen cirrohsis and hepatitis also, but I hope and pray it's not either.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Causes of elevated liver enzymes in a 15 year old? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I am 15 years old and weigh about 130 lbs. I was recently prescribed by my dermatologist to get the acne drug "accutane". However, when I went to have my blood tested they would not give me the drug because my liver enzyme levels were elevated. Not sure what these mean, but he has circled...

Elevated liver count [ 2 Answers ]

My son apparently has Benign acute myositis. His liver count is 696 when I understand it should be under 41. Is this normal and are there certain things we should avoid or enforce during this time. Also when should it get back to normal?

Elevated Prolactin Level [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I recently had some routine bloodwork done and it was discovered that I have 4x's the "high" level of prolactin. I did a bit of research and found out about pituitary gland toumor. Does anyone know how often these things would turn out malignant? Or what the prognosis is for this...

Elevated ALT and GGT (Liver Tests) [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was required to undergo Liver Function Tests, full blood count and Hep Antibody tests. Everything came back OK but there was a rise in his ALT and GGT levels. ALT was at 67 and GGT was at 94. My questions are: 1. Is this treatable? What can he take or do to normalise the...

PH Levels [ 2 Answers ]

I'm wondering if there is a herbal alternative for balancing the PH levels in the body - Mine appear to go out of sync at various times - During which all the mucous in my body becomes so caustic that it burns the membranes in all orifices causing considerable discomfort - This can last for 1 week...

View more questions Search