Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    c_y0rk3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Increased ammonia smell in urine
    I have 3 cats. All nuetered. One of them has urine that has the most potent ammonia smell I've ever been exposed to. I know he's not missing the box. The smell is the worst if one of his clumps break apart during scooping so I know it's not because of the box or the litter. He's perfectly healthy, no infections, not dehydrated, perfectly normal in every other way. Every website I visit blames it on spraying, dehydration, the plastic in the box is soakin it up, etc. I know for a FACT it is none of this and I can't seem to get a good answer. Please help!
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Dec 10, 2007, 05:40 PM
    My sister had a cat like that as well as my son does. I just assumed it was a male thing since my female cats urine is not that bad. I don't know.
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Dec 10, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Not a male thing, my female is like this too
    cindarama Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2007, 08:25 PM
    Comment on rpg219's post
    Not an answer
    cindarama Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2007, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by c_y0rk3
    I have 3 cats. All nuetered. One of them has urine that has the most potent ammonia smell I've ever been exposed to. I know he's not missing the box. The smell is the worst if one of his clumps break apart during scooping so I know it's not because of the box or the litter. He's perfectly healthy, no infections, not dehydrated, perfectly normal in every other way. Every website I visit blames it on spraying, dehydration, the plastic in the box is soakin it up, etc. I know for a FACT it is none of this and I can't seem to get a good answer. Please help!
    I'm looking for an answer to the same question.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 08:42 PM
    My idea about this is that it might have something to do with the diet. Take a look at this link about the amonia problem for people, and then apply that to cats.

Bodybuilding.com - Jeremy Likness - What Is That Ammonia Smell When I Sweat?

Not all of your cats will process the foods the same way, so each will be affected differently.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 15, 2007, 08:44 PM
    Is the cat male? If so, he may have been neutered after he became sexually mature. (Do you know?) If he was neutered before the age of six months, he may just have that odor in his chemical makeup.

If he urinates only in the litterbox, it sounds like it's not that big of a problem. You'll just have to scoop at least once a day.

I have a neutered male cat with strong-smelling urine. There are two more neutered males that use the same boxes. I scoop litter every evening and wash the pans thoroughly once a week (or more often). If I don't, the urine smell smacks me in the face when I come into the house from work.

P.S. I notice it makes a difference when I use certain brands and compositions of litter. The best for us so far seems to be a scoopable litter that has chlorophyll crystals mixed in it. I will post the brand name if you wish.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat urine smells strongly of ammonia [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter came home from school and brought her cat, male, fixed. We have a cat already and her litter box has never smelled. My daughter's cat's box really really smells of ammonia. It hits you when you walk in the front door and I have tried everything to get rid of it. Any ideas or...

Freshwater Fish Tank had ammonia,nitrites,ammonia again! [ 2 Answers ]

I am hoping someone can tell me what is going on. I unfortunately bought a new 33 gallon tank almost 6 weeks ago and the next day bought some fish. (1 Heroes Notatus(South American Cichlid), A Raphael Catfish, 6 Neon Tetras, 3 Glass Catfish and a goby Dragon) If I knew then what I know now then I...

Urine smell Comes and Goes [ 3 Answers ]

We have a cottage in which we are getting very intermittent smells of urine (we believe). It shows up at odd times in one of our three bedrooms. Stays around for a few minutes and then after opening a window disappears. The bathrooms do not smell. I have checked the plumbing in the crawl space and...

Ammonia cat urine [ 1 Answers ]

Hey there Quick question ~ I am a new cat owner (1 yr) and I have a sweet loving male neutered cat (Sir Chiggy) and I have just noticed over the past week that his urine smells very strong of ammonia. Never has before! To the point that my eyes water. Is this normal? Possibility of a UTI? ...

View more questions Search