Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JJsMom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2007, 03:42 PM
    1966 Singer Sewing Machine with the Desk
    How much is it worth? It's a 1966 Singer Sewing Machine with the solid wood and wrought iron molding "Singer" is scrolled in the wrought iron. It has the electric foot pedal, the original owner's manuel, and all kinds of little original extras. I know that it has to be worth something, but it's not for sale. I would just like to know what I have found.
    Thanks to whomever can help!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 10:37 PM
    Hello, JJsMom!

Basically, it's worth what someone would be willing to pay for it. Does it look anything like the one in the picture on the following link?

Singer Sewing Machine

The seller there is wanting $250.00 for it. I am sure that if the condition of your machine is really fine and if all the parts are working well, that it should be worth at least $200.00 and up.
    fireftnchick Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Dec 14, 2007, 08:35 PM
    There are a number of factors that effect the value of a treadle sewing machine. The model of the machine, the condition of the machine and cabinet, including any rust, pitting, veneer chipping or lifting, scratches or discolorations. Is a manual is still with the machine? Are accessories present?

With a picture and the serial number off the metal plate, on the bed by the pillar of the machine in front, I can assist with identification and possibly dating with the help of Singer's web site. You can research further from there, but it will give you a starting point.

Many people assume that since they are old, they are valuable. Unfortunately this is not the case. Only very rare, old machines have any real collector value. Most Singers are not rare. There are a few cabinets that are more highly desired than others. An [I]asking price does not translate into a sale price. Many antique stores shy away from sewing machines, they move too slowly or not at all. I was told by others, Estate sale and auction attendees walk right past sewing machines.

They are large items, not very functional unless you sew, and let's face it, there are less and less people sewing these days.

There is a group out there called treadleon that promotes the restoration and USE of these beautiful machines. I am a member and have several myself that I USE to sew. I am NOT a dealer.

$200 would be appropriate for a mint condition, perfect cabinet, perfect decals with a less common machine like a 15-88 or 201k or a machine with uncommon decals (see needlebar.org and go to the Singer decals page). Otherwise, I would say more in the ballpark of $25-$100.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Originally Posted by fireftnchick
    There are a number of factors that effect the value of a treadle sewing machine. The model of the machine, the condition of the machine and cabinet, including any rust, pitting, veneer chipping or lifting, scratches or discolorations. Is a manual is still with the machine? Are accessories present?

With a picture and the serial number off the metal plate, on the bed by the pillar of the machine in front, I can assist with identification and possibly dating with the help of Singer's web site. You can research further from there, but it will give you a starting point.

Many people assume that since they are old, they are valuable. Unfortunately this is not the case. Only very rare, old machines have any real collector value. Most Singers are not rare. There are a few cabinets that are more highly desired than others. An [i]asking price does not translate into a sale price. Many antique stores shy away from sewing machines, they move too slowly or not at all. I was told by others, Estate sale and auction attendees walk right past sewing machines.

They are large items, not very functional unless you sew, and let's face it, there are less and less people sewing these days.

There is a group out there called treadleon that promotes the restoration and USE of these beautiful machines. I am a member and have several myself that I USE to sew. I am NOT a dealer.

$200 would be appropriate for a mint condition, perfect cabinet, perfect decals with a less common machine like a 15-88 or 201k or a machine with uncommon decals (see needlebar.org and go to the Singer decals page). Otherwise, I would say more in the ballpark of $25-$100.
    I'm not going to give you a disagree rating fireftnchick, because that would not be the way to properly welcome a newbie to this site. I can't remember the last time that I gave someone a "reddie." I was tempted to give you one. However, I do disagree with your answering of the question that was asked by JJsMom because it would appear that you didn't read and assimilate everything into your thought process from the original question or from the answer that I gave. I do think that you gave a pretty good answer with a number of good points, if indeed it had been about the kind of sewing machine that you thought it was.

You think that the question was about a treadle sewing machine. It's not. It's an electronic sewing machine that was manufactured in 1966. The question also mentions that the machine has an electric foot pedal. I had to read the question a number of times in order to grasp what kind of machine it was that JJsMom was describing.

In the question, it is stated that it has the original owner's manual as well as all kinds of little original extras. You asked if a manual was still with the machine? And, also "are accessories present?"

I gave a factually correct answer based upon what I had read in the original question and also because of the research that I had done. Too bad that the link to the picture that I provided no longer works, because I did find a machine that probably looked very close to if not exactly like the one in question.

If JJsMom had been asking about the value of a really old, treadle sewing machine, then I would have let her know what I thought about "value" in both the monetary and sentimental sense. If you would like to see what I think of the values of old, treadle sewing machines, please type sewing machine into the search function at the top of this page. There will be at least 15 questions on just the first page that I have answered concerning that.

I do agree with you that "an asking price is not a good reflection of value" IF the machine had been an old treadle sewing machine. However, this was about a modern day, electronic sewing machine. I have my mom's sewing machine that my dad and I purchased for her back in the late 1960's. It was the $600.00 model. It works perfectly! If I were to be selling it now, I would definitely try to get anywhere from $200.00 to maybe even $350.00 for it. However, it's sentimental value to me is priceless!

I'm going to give you your first "greenie" that you will have received on this site. Not because I agree with you concerning the question that was asked, but to show you how I at least, treat new comers to this site.

In the future, please be kind enough to read everything before jumping on the band wagon with thinking that you have the correct answer.

Thank you, kindly.

Greetings and WELCOME to the site, fireftnchick!
    fireftnchick Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Dec 15, 2007, 04:46 PM
    Thank you for the input. I do hope I did not offend anyone. I was only trying to help. I belong to a number of sewing machine groups and this subject comes up continually.

The references to wrought iron threw me off. While it was a 1966 machine, treadle machines were made well into the 60's in Singer's Kilbowie plant and in Germany. I have done hours and hours of research, picked the brains of international experts and used vintage and antique machines to sew for a while now. I also have some experience with Vintage electronic Singers of that era. I have seen a number of treadle machines that were electrified later. A picture would have cleared that mistake up easliy, but unfortunately the link is gone.

The 221, the 301 and the 401 command $, the 221 specifically. Though, the 221 featherweight is the only one I have ever seen really get over the $200 mark. 99's are valued by collectors at around the $20-$50 range. 99's are a 3/4 size portable belt driven machine, usually found in a wooden domed, bentwood case. The value is toward the upper end if it has the knee bar and reverse. This machine can be converted to hand crank easily. The 185 is the green, updated version of the 99. It came in a plastic green carrying case and is valued around $25-$30. The 15-88/89/90/91 are 15 class machines with the tension dial on the face plate and have a vertical bobbin. These are very solid, sturdy machines that can sew through anything. They can free motion quilt as the feed dogs drop. They came in numerous ways. They are valued in the $25-$150 range. The 15-91 is gear driven, the others are belt driven and can be converted to treadle or hand crank. The 201's (a full sized, gear driven machine) maybe a bit higher depending if it is a portable version or in a cabinet and the type of the cabinet. The 201K was make in Kilbowie Scotland and can be converted to treadle. The 48 is the most sought out cabinet for this machine. It was only sold with the 201 and was considered higher end. The 99 and 201 are low shank, straight stitch machines. The 215G was made in Germany beginning in the 1950's and also came in a treadle version. The 221 is a half sized portable that came in a black case. There were folding tables and one table that were made to fit a featherweight and are very highly sought after. The featherwieght came in black, tan and green. The black is considered to perform better than the other colors. The 222 was the free arm version and is VERY rare and commands upwards of $400. The 301's and the 400 series were the beginning of slant shank machines. The 301 was still a straight stitch and the 401 had zig zag decorative stitches and more could be made with the use of top hat cams. Germany made a version of the 401 that can be converted to treadle. The 403 was a straight stitch machine requiring the 0 and up cams for anything beyond a straight stitch. The 206,306 and the 319 were more prosumer type machines and take a special size needle and look completely different. The 500, "the rocketeer" is also a sought after machine. The 301 came in black, but the 400 series on were usually tan. Many of the other numbers in between were not considered Singer's best machines. Machines after the 603 used nylon gears that tend to crumble and are considered to have little value to collectors due to this problem.

The references I made to value were generic and I should have clarified that, I owe you an apology. I was trying to explain to someone who has never experienced this what collectors are looking for when they choose to buy a machine and how they arrive at a value they are willing to pay.

In my experience, only a featherweight will command over $200 on a regualr basis. Normally, the avarage for other models is $150 or less. Though I have seen a few exceptions here and there. There are also regional differences that have to be considered. I am only speaking form a collectors point of view and what collectors I know and have run into are willing to pay for various machines. Auctions may vary considerably, as well as private sales.

There are a number of references:
    1)needlebar.org-has forums for discussion and a ton of reference info
    2)ISMACS.net-has a digest you can sign up for free to ask questions
    3)Treadleon.net-lots of info regarding people powered machines and converting electric machines to people powered
    4)vintagesingers Yahoo group
    5)wefixit Yahoo group
    6)Singer attachments Yahoo group
    7)Charles Laws references on Geocites, I unfotunately am on the wrong browser and don't have the link right now. Charles law wrote the encyclopedia of sewing machines that is used as the "bible" for ID of machines.
    8)Carter Bays books
    9)Sitches in Time-vintage sewing machine dealer, also sells parts and fabric and runs a museum
    10)Wofgangs collectables on Ebay-excellent machines and very experienced
    11)relics-sells old manuals and needles for antique/vintage machine
    12)Katie Farmers site on webshots regarding the ezxtensive White project.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a Singer Sewing Machine "singer merritt 4525" us a free motion foot [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I saw one that's cleaver and free-motion sewing machine foot being use. My sewing machine is a singer merrit 4525. Can I use a free-motion foot on it? Also, Does anyone know a place online to get or lookat a free manual for that model? Thank for the help, Kathy Hamann

Singer Sewing Machine [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Singer Sewing Machine that belonged to my God-Mother the serial number off the machine is: 1172500A. Does this machine have any value?

Collectible Singer Sewing Machine [ 3 Answers ]

I have a very old & heavy Black Singer Sewing Machine in a Key-locked Hand made wooden case-I can't find a model number ut the serial number is AF298836. Do have any idea of it's value-or would anyone be interested in it?

1885 singer sewing machine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1885 singer sewing machine I would like to know what it is worth today and if you buy collectables

Singer sewing machine parts [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have acquired a 1917 Singer Sewing Machine, and I am looking for parts. Any ideas as to where I could locate some parts for it. It is a model 127. I am specifically looking for a caster for the bottom of the frame, a belt that goes from the treddle to the actual machine and a knob for one of...

View more questions Search