Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chaplainvern Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2007, 07:08 AM
    3 wire 220 connecting transfer switch to generator
    I have a manual transfer switch that I want to use between my house circuits and my 5000 watt generator. I have 3 wire #10 receptical existing from the circuit box over to where my generator sets (it is exhausted outside). Can I use this 3 wire line to connect my transfer switch to my generator or do I have to go to 4 wire recepticals etc? Thanks
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 14, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Check with your local code authority. Manual transfer switches are not allowed in some jurisdictions unless it completely isolates the main incoming voltage from the pole or underground, and that switch is very expensive. Since this is 220 volts you will need a dedicated ground of some type because the neutral wire carries current when used in a 115 volt situation.

All work should be inspected because if not done correctly your generator can back feed into the utilities line and kill someone working on the line down the street. You do not need a lawsuit from this so get it inspected then if something does go wrong you will at least have a back up witness in court.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2007, 11:24 AM
    Is it 10-3 or 10-3 with ground? You need the neutral and ground isolated at the generator and then a 4 wire connection from it to your house wiring. Hots to the switch, and ground and neutral to the panel the generator is connected to. Check the receptacle, even a 3 prong one may have a 4 conductor cable to it. My old dryer does. If you don't have a solid 4 wire set up, your furnace may not work.

Expensive? For $150 I got a UL approved interlock plate that allows me to use any circuit in my house with the generator. You may get one for a modern GE or Square D box for less. If you already have a 240 volt circuit you can dedicate, that is all you need. Less work to install too. You may want to take the switch back. For details, see https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...se-123290.html

If you have to run new wire, I think the coil of 10-3 with ground I bought was only $30. You can't use the circuit feeding from the generator for anything else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting 3 wire to a 4 wire service panel [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to connect from a 3 wire system at the utility pole to a 4 wire service panel inside a new mobile home. I called an electrician for some advice and was told that I needed to drive an 8ft ground stake and attach a solid copper wire from the stake to the ground bar in the panel. Then I...

Transfer Switch & Generator Compatibilty [ 3 Answers ]

I have installed a manual transfer switch in my home. It says in the instructions to make sure the neutral is un-bonded to the generator. My Generator has a bonded neutral to the frame. What can I do to make the switch and the Generator compatible? Thanks

Connecting a generator to my house [ 2 Answers ]

How Can I connect a generator into my house electrical supply?

Generator relay switch [ 4 Answers ]

My main breaker panel does not separate ground from neutral. When I connect a (generator) transfer switch panel to it, can I safely assume that I am virtually extending the main panel and thus just connect the tranfer switch's ground and neutral wires to the combined ground/neutral bar in the main...

Complex Service Entrance/Generator Transfer App [ 24 Answers ]

Information: 1) Electrical engineering degree :) , but not an electrician :( , 2) need help understanding NEC requirements for this application, 3) will have commercial electrician help but want understanding of requirements beforehand, 4) there are no permits, no inspectors, no code requirements...

View more questions Search