Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cic3 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2007, 03:02 PM
    Moving Inside Washer & Dryer to Garage
    I recently purchased a single story home in FL. The layout of the home has the washer & dryer in the hallway. It's a narrow hallway and a small laundry space. The space really isn't conducive for a family with lots of laundry. I was considering moving the washer & dryer to the garage. The garage is right off the kitchen and would be easier to access. The garage also has a raised platform area that the washer & dryer could rest on that doesn't take away from the car slab space. But the garage is too small for a car (perhaps a mini cooper) so its basically a storage area. I am trying to determine if this is a good idea, how much it might cost and do you think there would be any issues with resell value. It's a small, cookie cutter house, so I wanted to use the current laundry space as a computer/office space to free up bedroom space. Please let me know your thoughts.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 04:49 PM
    The dryer is not any issue but the washer will require plumbing. Have you explored where you might get hot and cold water and is there a 2" drain line near the garage?

Dec 13, 2007, 09:57 AM
    I was hoping that since the garage is right off the kitchen that we can somehow tap into the plumbing... plus the hot water heater is in the garage near where I want to place the washer & dryer (but not on the same section of the wall). I don't know if there is a 2" drain. I haven't gotten much further than considering hiring a plumber or contractor (not sure which one would be best for a job like this). I'm still at the initial phase of this.

Dec 13, 2007, 10:08 AM
    If the heater is in the garage you can pull both hot and cold from that section of your plumbing. Your washer will need a 2" drain that is trapped and vented. Get a plumber to give you an estimate and ask him exactly how/what he would do. When you see his price and compare your skill level you can decide to hire him or do it yourself.
    Tommyjo206 Posts: 38, Reputation: 8

Dec 13, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    If the heater is in the gargae you can pull both hot and cold from that section of your plumbing. Your washer will need a 2" drain that is trapped and vented. Get a plumber to give you an estimate and ask him exactly how/what he would do. When you see his price and compare your skill level you can decide to hire him or do it yourself.
    I did not see what part of the country this house is located. The temperature in the garage can't fall below 32 degrees. Is the garage heated? If not, this really needs to be considered.

Dec 13, 2007, 11:21 AM
    The house is Florida. The garage is warm as its still 80 degrees.

Dec 13, 2007, 11:39 AM
    I guess the two give aways are the FL in the first sentence and the fact that the water heater is in the garage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving washer/dryer hookups [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a stacked washer & dryer in my laundry room. I need to move the water hookup and drain box. It will be on the same wall , I just need to move it over about 3 ft. I was planning on cutting out the drywall to expose the piping and then do whatever is needed to move the hot & cold...

6/3 nmb exposed inside garage to spa [ 6 Answers ]

Project is to feed a spa, above ground pool pump and 1 pool light 100-125 feet from 200 amp main siemens panel. (the light is an aqualuminator that has a transformer and plugs into gfci outlet and installs in pool return line) I've got 6/3 nmb for inside garage run to spa that will exit bottom...

Kenmore Washer dripping inside tub [ 1 Answers ]

My Kenmore Washer constantly drips inside of the tub after a wash cycle has completed. I have to turn the water off after each wash to stop the washer from dripping. Do you know what could be causing this problem?

Moving washer and dryer to basement [ 3 Answers ]

I am buying a new house that has the washer and dryer located on the main floor, but I want to move it into the unfinished basement (as well as add a laundry tub). There is a rough in for a bathroom directly below where the washer and dryer are currently located, and I'd like to move the washer...

View more questions Search