Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bob6831 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2006, 05:21 PM
    Snowblower Carb Problem?
    Hi.
    I have a small Murray Ultra 5 HP, 22" snowblower.
    I have been a bad boy and have not taken care of it very well, no fuel stabilizer over summer, etc.
    The problem now, after about 3 years, is that when start, engine does not run smoothly, and will die under load. Also, looks like is firing at muffler point?
    I have drained the fuel from carb and tank and put in new fuel. Also have replaced the spark plug.
    Still no difference.
    I suspect the carb needs work.
    I started to take apart to get to carb but looks like carb is pretty well enclosed and not easily accessed to spray carb cleaner in.
    My question is... would something like Gumout into the gas work... or will I need to take carb apart and clean?
    Thx.
    Bob
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2006, 06:20 PM
    So it sat over the summer, or 3 years? No matter what you try in the gas (gumouts overpriced anyway) is going to help, carbs got to come off (would recommend you take all the numbers off the engine, and take the numbers to a small engine shop, and get a gasket kit) take it off, tear it apart (remember how it goes back together) get some carb soaking dip, at any auto store, soak it, and the parts overnight, take it back out, and spray carb cleaner through any hole you can find really good... wear gloves, it drys you hands out bad.
    What brand engine is on it?

Then after all is said and done, get some stabilizer for the gas...

And also, check the float, for heaviness or sloshing, if it is, get a new one or you'll run into more problems...
    Bob6831 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 05:48 PM
    Hi.
    Is Tesumcuh(spelling?) engine.
    Ok, I took carb off and apart and sprayed with cleaner...
    But piece fell out and not sure where it goes.
    Suspect it is a needle valve? Small part with pointed end with little spring like wire on other end. Does it just sit in hole where gas comes in and then float rests on top of it... or does the spring end go into/over/around something??
    Bob
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2006, 10:05 PM
    I would soak it, not just spray it out, makes for less headaches and a cleaner carb. The inlet needle, which is what controls the intake of fuel into the bowl, the float hangs off the needle, that spring holds onto the float, should be a lip on the float at the hinge to hold that spring. The inlet valve into the hole, then insert the pin to hold the float in place, make sure the float pin moves freely in and out and the float moves freely.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2006, 08:39 PM
    If I might add to the cleaning of the carburetor. I worked in a small engine shop for several years, and there are two absolutes that every carb job seemed to require. You need to get a piece of "tag wire", like which would be on a repair tag, and go through every little hole on the carburetor. The varnish that builds up in old gas won't flush out in most carb wash fluids. The other absolute, is to use a product called "Bleach White". It is a whitewall tire cleaner, but it has a solvent that will break up the varnish.
    BE CAREFUL. It's caustic, and you need to have a very well ventilated area to use it. If you have sensitive hands, it will surely aggravate them. It used to take the tan off my hands with excessive exposure. If you have any doubts about using that product, you should just take the carb in to a shop and have them replace gaskets and clean it.

Best of luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low carb diet [ 8 Answers ]

Hi! I've been preparing to go on a low carb diet;but most of the recipes I find that need a flour are calling for all kinds of nut flours eg;almond etc. I'm ALLERGIC to NUTS! Is there any alternative?Got to get off the refined white flour. Thanks Robin

No fuel in carb bowl [ 3 Answers ]

I recently obtained a briggs and stratton 20hp riding mower that won't run. Free of course. The original owner said it quit running one day while cutting the yard. I took the carb apart and cleaned it. It was reinstalled and an attempt was made to crank it. When it did not crank, I squirted gas in...

Nikki carb adjustments [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to adjust a Nikki carb on a kohler command ohv engine? I can't find any screws for this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The engine will only run at full choke. I have ajusted the govenor.

Tiller/snowblower [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone know where I could find sears/craftsman impliments for a 1977 sears 16/6

Kswasaki 1980, 250cc, help with the carb. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1980 250 Kawasaki and whin I shot off the gas to shift is run at that speed (3000rpm) for a second before it drops down. HELP! I've cleand the carb and have 2 other ones and the other ones run a lettle ruff but don't do what this one does. This one is the smooths and would like to...

View more questions Search