Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KPW Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 01:13 PM
    Vacation mode for water heater
    I have a gas, select state water heater with a manual pilot. We will be away on vacation for 3 months and I am wondering the best way to leave the water heater. I plan on turning off the water throughout the house, but will keep the house between 55-60 degrees. Should I completely turn off the water heater and drain? Should I just turn it down to its lowest setting? Or can I leave the pilot on, but turn off the water heater so it won't continue to heat the water? If so, how do I do this?

Thanks... Keith
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 10, 2007, 02:57 PM
    Shutting the water off to the house is the cheapest insurance you can ever have. Good thinking! Do not continue to heat the water while you're away. You may leave the pilot lite on if you wish but if you have other gas appliances I'd shut the gas off at the meter. Have a great vacation. Tom
    BobTam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2014, 02:22 PM
    If I leave a 40 gallon gas water heater on pilot for 4 months will the water evaporate with the water main valvw shut off.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 9, 2014, 04:23 PM
    (answered)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 9, 2014, 06:32 PM
    BobTam ,better to start your own thread when you have a question but I see yours is related. Answer is NO, you will be fine

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Connecting a tankless water heater and separate hot water heater [ 6 Answers ]

What I have is this. An oil fired boiler that generates hot water for my house baseboard heating system. Contained within the boiler is a tankless heater that is heated by way of the firebox in the boiler. The tankless heater is used only for domestic hot water. It has a separate CW supply to the...

Furnace turns off at 'ON' mode and will not operate at 'AUTO' mode [ 6 Answers ]

The furnace will not turns on at "ON' mode. After some reading, I thought it would be the pilot light that has gone out. I re-lighted the pilot light to see blue-red flame, but the furnace will turn off AGAIN after 3-4 hrs. Replaced a new Honeywell non-programmable thermostat today with the...

Furnace turns off at 'ON' mode and will not operate at 'AUTO' mode [ 2 Answers ]

The furnace will not turns on at "ON' mode. After some reading, I thought it would be the pilot light that has gone out. I re-lighted the pilot light to see blue-red flame, but the furnace will turn off AGAIN after 3-4 hrs. Replaced a new Honeywell non-programmable thermostat today with the...

Hot water heater - vacation [ 1 Answers ]

I want to shut off my water supply while I am on vacation. I plan to put the gas control valve on "pilot" while I am gone, and let the pilot continue to burn. Is this OK? Should I open a hot water faucet in the house to relieve any possible pressure buildup due to thermal expansion? The heater...

View more questions Search