Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ttara81 Posts: 161, Reputation: 9

Nov 12, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Furnace blowing out cold air
    My furnace has not been used in a year. Just today, I filled up on oil. I have a Beckett oil furnace, model AFG Oil Burner. I am a single female, and I don't know ANYTHING about the furnace. I live in my deceased grandfather's house and I do not know the history of the furnace, only that it was installed in 2004. Well, after filling up with oil, I went to the basement, clicked on the power and it started right up. After about an hour, I noticed the house wasn't getting warm and went I checked a vent, the air coming out was cold. So, I went back downstairs, and there's a green light flashing on the front of the furnace. There's a red button under the flashing green light. There's a small set of instructions located right beside the red button that says if the green light is on, then its ready and is ignited. If the green light is flashing, its in "lockout". Now what does this mean? It says to push the red light to reset the lockout, and when I do that, the green light just continues to flash. What could possibly be wrong? I found out that the guy who installed it is in jail for attempted murder... great, huh?! Is there anything that I can do to solve the problem without calling someone out for a service call? Should I contact the Beckett company? Please help! I'm cold!! :mad:
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 12, 2007, 04:58 PM
    You probably need to have your oil pump primed especially if you ran out of oil. Whatever you do keep from pushing the reset button more than 2X. If the oil is spraying into the combustion chamber and not lighting it will fill it with raw oil and that is not good for when the service man shows up.

Since of your own admission you know nothing about a oil furnace I would suggest calling the oil company that delivered your oil for assistance. Many times the delivery driver will prime the pump for you if they are there delivering your oil.

Nov 12, 2007, 05:07 PM
    Comment on hvac1000's post
    This was very helpful... he sounds educated about my problem

Nov 12, 2007, 05:09 PM
    Thanks hvac1000... that does sound like it makes sense... the oil did totally run out last year... I hope I have not messed up the reset button... I will definitely call the people who brought out my oil tomorrow... thanks soooo much for your help and I hope that's what the problem is!

Nov 18, 2007, 10:35 PM
    OK, well I took your advice hvac1000 and called the oil company... the guy said in order to prime the oil pump, to hold down the red button for at least 30 sec until the green light flashed (which is supposed to be an indicator that it reset). The first time I did this, the green light came back on (steady), like it must've reset and I could tell that it was running normally. After about 30 sec. I could hear something cut off, and the green light starts flashing again. So I try again. Still, same result, works for about 30 sec. and then goes back to flashing green light. So what do you think could be the problem now?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 04:31 AM
    Do you get any oil smell? Follow the line from the oil tank to the furnace and see if there are any valves left closed.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 19, 2007, 04:44 AM
    There could be many problems including air getting into lines,single pipe system that has to be bleed with the bleeder valve open,ignition problems, plugged nozzle etc.

You gave it your best shot and tried the oil companies suggestion. Call the oil company back and have them get the burner running for you.

When they are out at your place discuss having a full burner tune up and furnace check. Oil is going to be real expensive this winter and a tune up will go a long way to save you money by making sure your burner is at top efficiency. Make sure you change your furnace air filter also.

Nov 19, 2007, 04:24 PM
    Ok. Thanks you! I appreciate your suggestions. I will be calling them back to see if I can get some additional help!
    fayfae Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Gas furance blowing cold air
    fayfae Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2007, 06:24 PM
    Gas furance blowing cold air and running all of the time

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace sometimes blowing cold air [ 7 Answers ]

We bought a brand-new house in May 2002. This winter (I don't think it happened last winter) when it got really cold outside, the furnace blew cold air. When it warms up outside, it starts blowing warm again. We had someone come and look at it and he told us it had a 30 degree heat pump?? And when...

Furnace blowing cold air. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Trane XE90 furnace that is 6 years old. The pilot is lit but it blows cold air and runs for long periods. I had it serviced including a fliter change in April and the technician said the high limit switch was stuck he got it to work but said it would not last very long. Can you...

Furnace blowing cold air! [ 2 Answers ]

i have been experiancing problems with my furnace blowing out cold air, the first time i checked the code light it was working normal, the second time it was flashing continuosly fast and it meant call for heat, the third time i checked it said to replace the IFC!! i have no idea what the ifc is,...

Furnace blowing cold air [ 3 Answers ]

Ruud oil furnace blowing cold air, fan running constantly

View more questions Search