Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Briz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 10:35 PM
    Blonde streaks turning green if dyed brown?
    Hi, my hair colour is a natural dark brown and I have always used box dyes inorder to colour natural sun streak etc. About a month ago I got my first professional hair dye, a full brown rinse and blonde patches. I really like it but I have a formal event and think I would like to go back to full dark brown. I have heard that to change from blonde to brown you have to dye it redish first or it will go green? What can I do, would it be OK to buy a dark brown to put through?
    Thanks heaps in advance to anyone who can answer:)
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Dec 4, 2007, 11:06 PM
    I've never heard that before. But, from experience, going from blonde to brown, get a brown lighter than what you want because it will end up darker..
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Dec 5, 2007, 04:28 PM
    If you have blonde hair and you want to go brown, you may need to use a reddish brown hair color first and then apply the desired color. When your hair was bleached blonde it took out all the pigments, including the red tones. So your hair can turned green or an unpleasant shade from brown hair colors that contains a green or blue base. The red color acts as a filler which may prevent your hair from turning green.
    Vision Expert

Dec 5, 2007, 06:32 PM
    That's a new one, I've dyed my hair brown from blonde many times, and have never had a green color...
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Dec 5, 2007, 06:49 PM
    This is nothing new. I've answered a lot of questions from members whose hair turned green from using a brown or dark hair color on their blonde or chemically lightened hair.
    Vision Expert

Dec 5, 2007, 06:53 PM
    I meant it was new to me...

I had never heard that before or had it happen to me before..
    babe00029 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2009, 10:05 PM
    That recently happened to me.I have been dying my own hair for years.I tried to go a darker shade of brown to go back to my natural colour over lighter highlights and my hair turned a horrible shade.It looks like it is green.Anyways what happened was I stripped the pigment and red tones out of my hair.That was what gave it a horrible colour.The best thing to do is have it professionally done if this happens.Your hair will be weak and the last thing you want to do is have your hair start snapping off while trying to fix it.It costs a little around $100.00 but it is well worth it... trust me :)
    babe00029 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2009, 10:05 PM
    That recently happened to me.I have been dying my own hair for years.I tried to go a darker shade of brown to go back to my natural colour over lighter highlights and my hair turned a horrible shade.It looks like it is green.Anyways what happened was I stripped the pigment and red tones out of my hair.That was what gave it a horrible colour.The best thing to do is have it professionally done if this happens.Your hair will be weak and the last thing you want to do is have your hair start snapping off while trying to fix it.It costs a little around $100.00 but it is well worth it... trust me :)
    oliviakoidis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2011, 11:39 PM
    I have had all sorts of hair colours all my life. Im naturally brunette but I have my hair blonde a lot of the time. Two days ago I had bleach blonde hair but I got tired of doing my roots every 3 weeks, I went to a hair professional and spent 120 dollars to get my hair to a light brown. When I went home my hair has horrible shades of green. I didn't say anything to the hair dresser because I was to shy.. but it looked horrible. The next day I went to shoppers and got dark aburn red hair dye. Im so upset with the colour and all I want is brown hair. I don't want to kill it and dye again.. should I wait a month until it fades out until I dye it brown?

Please helpppp... I used to be a cute little blonde and now I hate my hair.
    Kay19 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2011, 06:42 PM
    Hey my sister did that this year. She dyed her hair blonde and then three days later she dyed it brown. Couple weeks layer it turn green. It was funny because she didn't even know at the time. But now the green went away on it's own.
    April78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2011, 01:32 PM
    OMG I have been a hairstylist for 16 years One of the most common do it at home hair color problems... turning your hair GREEN by accident usually. Many times this is the result if you try to dye blonde hair darker. You CANNOT use a color that has an ash base... You can use a brown color that has a neutral base... but THE BEST thing to do is use a dark brown that has a reddish base like a really dark auburn, or chestnut. It will work the best!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black hair, dyed brown, how can I dye it ash brown? [ 19 Answers ]

Hi I have naturally very dark brown hair, its pretty much black. I have been dying it black for the past two years. Today I bleached it and then dyed it "light ash brown". Obviously it didn't come out "ash" at all it more like a golden brown. My hair is actually still very healthy after...

Already dyed hair (brown/orange) trying to turn it into a gold brown [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I dyed my hair last month opting for a nice brown that would show up a golden brown in the sun. However, it turned out a bit orange. The orange is not as strong as before. Probably because the color faded after washing my hair so many times. So my big dilemma is that I want to stay in the same...

Dyed hair brown, natural is sandy blonde, want it back. HELP! [ 3 Answers ]

Hey to anyone interested in helping me, I'm a natural sandy blonde, and I wanted a change so I dyed my hair brown from a box. It turned out very natural and I don't mind the color but I'd like a change. I want to go back to my original color and then dye it lighter, like with very blonde...

Adding dark streaks to colored blonde hair [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! I have colored my hair blonde w/ hi-light kits as well as a frost kit.. my roots are growing out and I want to add some darker streaks to my hair, red or brown or both! How do I go about this or is there even a way for me to do this at home? I would like to do it myself, but I have no...

Is there anyway to darken blonde streaks? [ 3 Answers ]

Today I went to my good friend at the hair dressers and asked her to put "honey-brown" highlights in my hair. She assured me they would turn out natural and "not too blonde." At the hair dressers my hair looked pretty good, a little blonde but nothing extreme. After getting a better look at my hair...

View more questions Search