Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mingus69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2007, 08:00 AM
    Washing machine to sink waste?
    This question has been asked many times I'm sure but I've attached a sketch of my condition... can any when tell me if this will work? Or should I use the standard washing machine p-trap assembly? I just thought it would be better to have the washing machine drain into it's own 2" line then almost directly to the 2" waste at the wall.
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 5, 2007, 08:09 AM
    Your drawing looks like it should work. The stand pipe should be at least 33" tall. If you ever get any backup up you can add a water tght collar at the top but this rarely is needed. Some new Maytag washer pump a lot of water and can cause even a 2" pipe to back up with no clog or restriction in the pipe.
    Cheffie Posts: 32, Reputation: 4

Dec 5, 2007, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mingus69
    This question has been asked many times i'm sure but I've attached a sketch of my condition...can any when tell me if this will work? or should i use the standard washing machine p-trap assembly? I just thought it would be better to have the washing machine drain into it's own 2" line then almost directly to the 2" waste at the wall.
    I have done a similar set up like your drawing and it works fine, when I set up mine I figured that when the water begins to go through the waste water line it would create suction and draw the water away from the bathroom sink, and it does.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 6, 2007, 06:21 AM
    This set up should drain OK. My only concern is the elevation of the sink. A partial clog or a high output washer pump, such as a Maytag, could force the discharge back up through the sink. HGor high is the sinks rim in relationship to the washer stand pipe. If this does occur do you have a way to seal off the sink? That would solve the problem. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing machine draining into sink! [ 2 Answers ]

When I run my waher, the kitchen sink fills up with soapy water! It does not overflow but almost! My washer is obviously not draining correctly! Please help!

Washing machine discharge goes into sink [ 12 Answers ]

I live in a raised ranch. The toilet and shower are backed up to the laundry room. The sink and the washer use the same discharge pipe. When the washer drains, the water backflows into the sink and out onto the bathroom floor. The plumber has been here twice and installed a vent in the pipe but it...

Washing machine backing out at kitchen sink [ 2 Answers ]

When washing machine is in rinse mode it slowly starts to fill my kitchen sink.what can I do ?before calling a plumber.

Washing Machine Water In Sink [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys, I thought I'd draw a diagram of my problem as well as describing it! (Busy at work as usual! :D ) So, here is the setup; http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/JtotheBtotheS/kitchen.gif As you can see (hopefully), my washing machine drains into the outlet pipe of our kitchen...

Washing machine overflows into sink (and over) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a house that is more than 100 years old. Our washing machine is in the basement. About 30 feet over, we have a half bath. Whenever we run a large load, water drains out of the washing machine OK, but backs up into the bathroom sink, and eventually over the counter and onto the...

View more questions Search