Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    parque Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2006, 10:22 PM
    Hot water is brown! Help!
    Hi,

This past weekend we flushed out our Hot Water Heater (Electric-Rheems). There was all sorts of crud in there, we got a bunch of sand out of it and some other stuff. We followed the directions from the Rheems site for draining the hot water heater.

The problem now is our hot water has a brownish tint to it. We really notice it when filling up the bathtub or against any white surface. We thought maybe we stirred something up and that it would settle out after a few days, but it hasn't. Did we do something wrong??

One thing I notice on other sites (not Rheems), they talked about a power flush where you run the cold water in after the hot water drains out, to flush the system out more. Is that something we should have done? Could that be the problem? We never had brown water before, but now it's all brown and it doesn't seem to be clearing up any, after sitting, or letting it run.

Any suggestions?? If I don't have to drain it again I would rather not, (our water bill is going to be outrageous as it is) but if that's the only option, please let me know.

THANKS!!

April:(
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 17, 2006, 01:01 AM
    Hmmmm... you'll probably need one of the real experts - like speedball1 - to help you with this issue.

However, since I'm here anyway, might as well put in my two cents on that last part of your post:
    Quote Originally Posted by parque
    Any suggestions??? If I don't have to drain it again I would rather not, (our water bill is gonna be outrageous as it is) but if that's the only option, please let me know.
    I don't know what the Rheems website claims, but "flushing" the water heater does NOT involve pouring the entire contents down the drain; you just have to let a few gallons run until the water comes out clear. So don't worry about your water bill. ;)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 17, 2006, 05:23 AM
    Hi April,

"One thing I notice on other sites (not Rheems), they talked about a power flush where you run the cold water in after the hot water drains out, to flush the system out more. Is that something we should have done? Could that be the problem? We never had brown water before, but now it's all brown and it doesn't seem to be clearing up any, after sitting, or letting it run.
    Any suggestions???"

Draining your water heater is just a tad better then doing nothing. Draining the heater does just that. It drains using gravity as a force. In a 40 gallon tank that will give you a head pressure of a little over two pounds.
    Flushing your heater will blast out that ugly brown,(iron oxide, rust) that's lurking in the bottom with 45 to 50 pounds. Let me show you how.
    For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures. Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps, Tom

Jan 17, 2006, 07:15 AM
    Thanks and some more question...
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hi April,

"One thing I notice on other sites (not Rheems), they talked about a power flush where you run the cold water in after the hot water drains out, to flush the system out more. Is that something we should have done? Could that be the problem? We never had brown water before, but now it's all brown and it doesn't seem to be clearing up any, after sitting, or letting it run.
    Any suggestions???"

Draining your water heater is just a tad better then doing nothing. Draining the heater does just that. It drains using gravity as a force. In a 40 gallon tank that will give you a head pressure of a little over two pounds.
    Flushing your heater will blast out that ugly brown,(iron oxide, rust) that's lurking in the bottom with 45 to 50 pounds. Let me show you how.
    For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run untill the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures. Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps, Tom
    Thanks for answering so quickly, Tom. I am a little confused and need some clarification though...

Should I drain the system first or should I just turn on the cold water and let it run as I let the water drain out the bottom? Now that the water is brown, do I have to drain the entire tank to get rid of that brown stuff??

Thanks again.
    April

Jan 17, 2006, 07:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmMP3
    Hmmmm... you'll probably need one of the real experts - like speedball1 - to help you with this issue.

However, since I'm here anyway, might as well put in my two cents on that last part of your post:

I don't know what the Rheems website claims, but "flushing" the water heater does NOT involve pouring the entire contents down the drain; you just have to let a few gallons run until the water comes out clear. So don't worry about your water bill. ;)
    On the Rheem website and several others I looked at, they tell you to let the water tank completely drain out so that's what we did. That may be out problem!
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 17, 2006, 08:04 AM
    You may shut off the cold water supply to the heater and drain it with a head pressure of a little over 2 PSI or you can leave the cold water on and flush it out with 45 to 50 PSI. Your choice. Regards, tom

Jan 17, 2006, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    You may shut off the cold water supply to the heater and drain it with a head pressure of a little over 2 PSI or you can leave the cold water on and flush it out with 45 to 50 PSI. Your choice. Regards, tom

Thanks, Tom. I left the cold water on and flushed it and now the brown color is gone. Yay! Some gross white chunks of stuff came out so I'm glad I did use the higher pressure method. Thanks for your help!!

April
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 17, 2006, 04:27 PM
    April,

Just for future reference: you will probably never need to drain your water heater (by shutting off the cold water and letting gravity force the water out the bottom), unless some internal component (like one of the heating elements) has to be repaired, or unless the entire boiler needs to be replaced. Basically, draining a water heater generally should only be done when you need to (as the name implies) empty out the tank, so that you can either access the inside of the tank (or remove parts from it), or remove the tank from your house completely.

On the other hand, flushing the water heater (by leaving on the cold water) will keep the tank full, so it's useless for a job that involves accessing internal components or removing the tank; however, it's extremely useful for getting rid of impurites (like rust, calcium chunks, dirt, etc.) due to the high pressure involved.

In summary, here's a general rule of thumb: The purpose of DRAINING is to get rid of the water so the heater can be accessed/removed, while what happents to the water is irrelevant; the purpose of FLUSHING is irrelevant to the heater (of course, the heater will definitely benefit from it; I mean that the purpose is not to do anything to the heater itself), but will significantly improve the water supply.

HTH,
    Moishe

Jan 17, 2006, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmMP3
    April,

Just for future reference: you will probably never need to drain your water heater (by shutting off the cold water and letting gravity force the water out the bottom), unless some internal component (like one of the heating elements) has to be repaired, or unless the entire boiler needs to be replaced. Basically, draining a water heater generally should only be done when you need to (as the name implies) empty out the tank, so that you can either access the inside of the tank (or remove parts from it), or remove the tank from your house completely.

On the other hand, flushing the water heater (by leaving on the cold water) will keep the tank full, so it's useless for a job that involves accessing internal components or removing the tank; however, it's extremely useful for getting rid of impurites (like rust, calcium chunks, dirt, etc.) due to the high pressure involved.

In summary, here's a general rule of thumb: The purpose of DRAINING is to get rid of the water so the heater can be accessed/removed, while what happents to the water is irrelevant; the purpose of FLUSHING is irrelevant to the heater (of course, the heater will definitely benefit from it; I mean that the purpose is not to do anything to the heater itself), but will significantly improve the water supply.

HTH,
    Moishe
    Ooops. Think I commented, when I meant to respond!!

Thanks for the information. I was just following the lead of the Rheem site. They actually call it "flushing" but what they describe is 'draining'. Now I know so I am good for next time. Thank yoU!!
    msfixit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2006, 05:32 PM
    This technique worked! I started by doing what Ruud stated to do, and all I got was brown water... then... I found this site and did what you suggested to do, just drain out a few gallons of cold (well a little more than a few) and it worked!. after a lot of work... (I had to use a shop vac to evacuate the water, a hose would not fit in the space, nor would the drain contain the water) but now I have clear hot running water... It was well worth the effort and it saved me the cost of a plumber... I cleaned all the screens to the faucets... as well. Thanks for your suggestion Tom.

msfixit:-)
    kekj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2009, 04:04 PM

Brown hot water
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 03:57 AM

kekj,

What is your question? Thanks.

John
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 12, 2009, 07:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kekj View Post
    brown hot water
    For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures. Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my answer. Tom
    Gus_19 Posts: 54, Reputation: 2

Mar 18, 2009, 05:13 PM
    I've actually had the same problem since moving into my new home 1 1/2 yrs ago. Currently my plumber does not think it's the water heater so he's having the water tested (other than the hardness test before). I've tried explaining to him that the cold water is crystal clear in our whirlpool tub, but the hot water is brown. What you've described about "flushing" the system is perfectly fine. As far as a power flush, it has been recommended by the plumbers I've talked to kind of creating a powerful downward pressure to break things up. As of right now, I don't have an answer, though I still tend to think it's something with my water heater. I can't give my make/model though it's run off propane as I'm not home now. If/when I do find something, I will gladly let you know. Keep me posted as well!
    nalinortho Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2009, 09:23 PM
    I'm having the same problem. One year old house, on well water, and the hot water comes out brown with the cold water clear. I flushed the hot water heater for about 10 minutes, and brown water still came out of the hose (kept the cold water one for more pressure.) What else can it be, or is my tank so dirty it needs something else (hard to believe on a brand new heater.)
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 15, 2009, 07:54 AM
    All I can say is follow the flushing directions posted above. Keep fuushing until the water runs clear. Don't just "drain" the heater. Power flush it by leaving the pressure on. Good luck, Tom
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2009, 09:25 AM

One thought on this subject. When "power flushing", cold water enters the water heater through the dip tube as seen below. Coming in at 50# of pressure could easily have the effect of keeping the discoloration "stirred up" in the tank. In that case, simply draining the tank might be a wise alternative. Just a thought. I will certainly agree that the power flush idea is generally the way to go.

BTW, If you are going to drain it, be sure to turn it off first.

Jun 15, 2009, 04:54 PM
    My plumber came in and installed a commercial grade water softener. According the water test completed by a third party, I had 60gpg of hardness. The original softener could only handle about 25-30gpg. With the new one I have it set to 100gpg and have not had one issue with the water. Even some of the scum rings left in the toilet after time have disappeared.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2009, 07:42 PM

Gus, were you also having problems with iron?

Jun 16, 2009, 06:09 AM
    I was told the amount of iron, but cannot remember specifically what the level was. They told me it wasn't a terribly high amount, but I figured it must have been a higher than normal since the yellow scum stains have disappeared from the toilets.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Brown hot water [ 1 Answers ]

The hot water coming out of my faucets is brown. I drained the hot water heater, letting it refill a few times between drainings but it s still brown. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Brown Water [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I'm seeing brown water from my bathtub facuet (hot only) when I fill my bathtub. It only happens in the tub, though; Not in the shower or sink. I saw some other posts that talk about draining the hot water heater, but I don't think that is the issue, because I am not seeing it anywhere...

Brown smelly water backing up in tub... [ 1 Answers ]

This evening when my wife was washing her face in the bathroom sink she noticed that brown smelly water was coming up through the tub drain. This only occurred when she was running the hot water and would slowly drain after the hot water was turned off. Although our tub has always drained slowly...

Brown water [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a housing complex. Sometimes our water runs out of the bath tub or the sink brown. Can someone tell me what this means. Is it unhealthy for us to use the water? Is there some action that I should take? Is there something I can do to make it stop running brown? Thanks, Lisa

Brown Water [ 3 Answers ]

My warm water was brown and I flushed the water heater twice already - it stays clean for 3 days then it turns brown again. (It is a natural gas waterheater.) Any ideas on what I should do. Thank you

View more questions Search