Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kcastor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2007, 09:06 PM
    3 prong dryer outlet
    I just moved into an old farm house. The 3 prong dryer outlet has a different configuration than the 3 prong pigtail on my dryer. All three outlet connections are a flat. My dryer cord has 2 flat and 1 that is a 90 degree plug. Do I have to replace the actual outlet or is there a cord I can get to fit this old style?

Thanks,
    Kelly
    hixton Posts: 146, Reputation: 5

Nov 30, 2007, 09:12 PM
    Usually you can purchase the cord you need
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2007, 09:48 PM
    You may want to verify the wiring is adequate for your dryer. The 2 plug styles may be for different ratings. If your dryer draws less than the breaker feeding it, fine, go with the new cord or outlet. If your dryer draws more than the breaker, changing the cord bypasses a safety. Let's hope the breaker matches the wire.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 06:45 AM
    The 3 flat blades are 50 Amps, the 1 with the 90 degree prong is 30 Amps.
    I would change receptacle to match dryer, then change breaker to 30 amps
    applsvcgirl Posts: 112, Reputation: 9

Dec 1, 2007, 06:47 AM
    May I interrupt? You have 2 flat and 1 L shaped on your dryer cord which is a correct set up for a dryer. 3 flat is the correct set up for a range. Check your breaker and verify it is a 30 amp breaker for a dryer. Now change the receptacle from a range receptacle to a dryer receptacle. Ta Da! All better!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 07:34 AM
    Here are pictures of each the 30 amp receptacle on the left and 50 amp receptacle on the right.

While you may have a 50 amp outlet and a 30 amp plug, using a 50 amp cord and plug on a 30 amp circuit is not a problem. However, since the circuit and appliance needs a 30 amp breaker, there is a possibility in the future of someone coming along with a real 50 amp appliance and being able to plug in and use the circuit, which will trip the 30 amp breaker by overloading the breaker.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 07:50 AM
    I was thinking, If it had a 50 amp cord on it. In the future, someone may try to use on a 50 amp circuit.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2007, 07:55 AM
    It seems backwards to me to be able to plug a 50 amp dryer into a 30 amp outlet. We would hope the breaker does just what it is meant for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting a 3 prong to a 4 prong outlet [ 4 Answers ]

My dryer is a 3 prong outlet and I moved to where there are 4 prong outlets, how can I hook it up?

3 prong to 4 prong dryer cord [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I wanted to know when converting to a 4 prong dryer cord , what do you do with the green ground wire that is already connected to the frame. Do I replace it with the green ground wire that's on the cord or do I leave it alone, and place the green wire from the cord on another screw.

Changing 4 prong dryer plug to work with 3 prong outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dryer I haven't been able to use. I moved into an older house and bought a wall outlet to match the plug that's on the dryer. The problem is, any way I rewire the outlet with given wires it won't work.

4 prong plug for dryer - new dryer installation [ 3 Answers ]

We are installing a new dryer with a 220 volt 4 prong plug, old dryer had only 3 prongs How is the house wiring attached to new receptacle? cgfryar

Three prong dryer element [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend that has a dryer problem. First the breaker was shot. I replaced it. Next the thermoswitch was shot. I replaced it. Now I only get 110 too all three of the dryer connections. I cannot get 240 across these connections. Am I too assume this dryer has two elements since there are...

View more questions Search