Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tp92867 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 04:06 PM
    Blended family equal inheritance
    My wife and I have been married 19 years in California. She had one son and I had three children prior to our marriage. We subsequently have one 18 year old son together. We want to make a trust to provide for inheritance. She wants a 50 50 split. I would leave half of our estate to my four children and she would leave half of our estate to her two children. In this way her son would get 25% our son would get 37% and my three children would get 12 1/2 percent each. I have been the major wage earner and owned the house before we married. (the house is now in Joint Tenancy). This seems unfair to me. I want to leave each child 1/5 or 20% sharing equally. But CA is a community property state - Do I and my three children lose?
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 29, 2007, 04:14 PM
    I agree with you, all children should get equal parts...
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 09:18 PM
    Have all the children lived with you? This could be a matter of perception... if "your kids" only were there every other week, I can see that they might not really feel like "family" to your wife. I know that I don't really consider my brother's step-daughter to be as much family as his kids, simply because I hardly ever see the girl.

On the other hand, you can point out to your wife that, once you two are dead, the only thing that the kids will have to rely on is each other. And nothing is as likely to cause lifelong rifts and dissension among the kids as being left different amounts. Because it's hard to see that as anything but "they loved you more".
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2007, 09:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tp92867
    My wife and I have been married 19 years in california. She had one son and I had three children prior to our marriage. We subsequently have one 18 year old son together. We want to make a trust to provide for inheritance. She wants a 50 50 split. I would leave half of our estate to my four children and she would leave half of our estate to her two children. In this way her son would get 25% our son would get 37% and my three children would get 12 1/2 percent each. i have been the major wage earner and owned the house before we married. (the house is now in Joint Tenancy). This seems unfair to me. I want to leave each child 1/5 or 20% sharing equally. But CA is a community property state - Do I and my three children lose??

I would think everyone would get an equal share but family dynamics and history play a big part in these decisions and every situation is different.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 30, 2007, 09:58 AM
    All the children should be equal, but be concerned, if you die first, and she gets everything, she can write your kids out completely.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    All the children should be equal, but be concerned, if you die first, and she gets everything, she can write your kids out completely.

They may have thought of this - they are talking about a trust instead of a will. Of course, if the wife can invade principal you're back to the same problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does assets equal [ 1 Answers ]

11000 liability 14000 capital stock and 32000 retained earnings what is the Asset amount

Blended family means family to me, should it not to my husband as well? [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I just really need to know if I am way off base here. Last night my husband told me that"you need to understand how it is going to be between my daughter and myself." " when it comes to special events, even if they conflict with your boys(his stepsons) and in the future if we have children of...

California Family Inheritance Law [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My father passed away three years ago with no will or living trust. He didn't have any stocks or monies left except for a house that he and my mom owned. A year after he died, she transferred the ownership of the house only to her name without telling my sister and me. She is now living...

View more questions Search