Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ktarver Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 03:31 AM
    Cat coughing blood
    My cat that I dearly LOVE coughed up blood last night twice. She was very nathargic, wouldn't move and appeared to be dying. I wrapped her in a sheet and laid her beside me on the bed expecting her to be deceased this morning. About 1:30 am she starting moving a little bit. This morning she did get down and go to her litter box but she was still moving very slow. SHe has never acted sick in her life. She is about 3 years old. She is healthy, eats well, and is only outside a little bit each day. SHe has been fixed. She acted almost paralyzed last night, she wouldn't move! It scared me to death. Does anyone have any ideas, she is precious to us! She was a stray we brought home a year ago and has become the centerpoint of our lives basically. Could it have been she got into something outside? Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful PLEASE.

Thanks
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Apr 30, 2007, 04:59 AM
    Take her to the vet immediately.

Coughing up blood is a bad sign... it means that either she's eaten something that has injured her internally (a number of cats have a condition where they eat things pretty much at random), or has an illness that has caused her to hemorrhage inside. Neither of these are going to get better on their own before they get worse, and there's nothing that you can do yourself to fix it either way... that's what your vet is for.

Apr 30, 2007, 05:14 AM
    Thanks so much. Will get her in today if possible. She was better this morning but still a little slow... I appreciate your response!
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Apr 30, 2007, 05:29 AM
    Not 'if possible'. Take her in now... take a sick day at work if you have to, or drop her off and go in late.

Apr 30, 2007, 09:06 AM
    You are right, I am on my way! Thanks!:)
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2007, 09:13 AM
    Please get to the vet.

And for future reference, I've had fantastic care at our local emergency care clinic that is only open after regular vet hours. They were kind, helpful, and it didn't cost an arm and a leg like I thought it might. In fact, I know one procedure was less than I would have paid through my vet.

Just something to keep in mind for those after hours emergencies. If you have a pet, its worth knowing where the closest emergency clinic is, just as you'd know where the nearest hospital is for family.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

May 2, 2007, 10:29 AM
    When you do go to the vet, make sure she is tested for Feline Leukemia and Feline AIDS. Both of these diseases present with similar signs and there is no cure. Knowing she is positive, you can treat her symptomatically and not let her out to infect others.
    Right off the bat, I'm thinking ingested chemical or possibly heartworm infection-yes cat's get that, too... could she have been hit? Irritable bowel comes to mind also. Wish these guys could talk!
    Arseny Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 10:22 PM
    My cat is experiencing very similar symptoms. I would really appreciate it if you told me what the vet said about your cat. Thanks!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Arseny, the person that posted that her cat was coughing up blood has not been online since April the 30. For answers you need to take your cat to the vet.
    Arseny Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2007, 02:35 PM
    O, I know but I thought that maybe the user had some sort of email notification set up for when someone replies to their threads.
    dmdz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 09:38 AM
    Guys, found this page because one of my cats was coughing up blood same as the OP.
    Just come back from the vets today, and it turns out there was a tumour the size of an orange stuck to his Spleen... Which affected the blood, meaning it didn’t clot...
    Im waiting for results from the blood test, but am expecting the worst, and having to make the decision to send him on (hes about 25 so would have a tough time going through any op).

If your cat is coughing up blood please take them to the VET asap as there is a chance they could be saved.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2008, 04:15 PM
    dmdz, if your cat has lived to be 25 that speaks volumes about what wonderful cat owner you are. It is very good of you to share your cats problem in hopes of helping another cat owner. Thanks and you will be in our thoughts.
    ruth101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2008, 10:38 AM
    Hello my name is Ruth,
    I became alert this morning when I realized there were specks of blood on my covers where my cat was laying last night. He had been sneezing prior to this but I assumed it was just a cold and would go away on its own. I desperately looked for answeres online as to what steps to take next, I found a website that helped me in becoming a tad more knowledgeable and wanted to share with those whom are in a similar situation as myself,

Cat Coughs Treatments Symptoms and Diagnosis Cat Cough Causes
    spaz3350 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2009, 01:13 PM
    My cat was coughing like he had a fur ball, then he coughed up just a little blood, but seems OK today, should I be concerned or take him to the vet. He is 2 and never out side, ever.
    mitzi x Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2011, 09:49 AM
    My cat is 14 years old and last night coughed up blood and then the morning before found it hard to walk , drink and eat I am taking the cat to the vets tomr but I am scared and was just wondering if anyone know why he was going that ,
    Arlene63 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2012, 02:15 AM
    This has happened to my cat last night! Have been attending Vet for about three weeks now with cat vomiting a bright yellow stuff with the food through it. Been diagnosed with Chronic Airways Disorder and on meds. But didn't seem to be getting much better; went back got another antibiotic and seemed to be a little improvement then yesterday, wham, poor pet is now at vet in emergency treatment as I just couldn't bear to wait until this morning :( He's 8 yrs old and has never been sick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

3 Cats that are sneezing, coughing [ 6 Answers ]

I have 3 cats that are coughing( like they have a hairball), sneezing and 1 has some green mucus when he sneezed recently that I don't know what to do with. My One male cat has gone through it and he is getting better, no more sneezing & coughing but the other 2 are still couching and sneezing and...

Persistent coughing [ 1 Answers ]

I picked up an infection at the beginning of April this year that seemed to go straight to my chest. It gave me an awful, persistent cough which always left me struggling for breath and trying desperately to suck back some air into my lungs (even while the coughing fits, which sometimes lasted for...

The blood shed & the blood sprinkled! [ 4 Answers ]

THE BLOOD SHED & THE BLOOD SPRINKLED In the Old Testament and the New Testament sacrificial "Blood" is spoken of in two ways;i.e. "The Blood shed and the Blood sprinkled." IN THE OLD TESTAMENT WHAT WAS THE APPLICATION OF "SHED BLOOD" RE "ATONEMENT" (the 'moment the Blood became...

My cat is blood thirsty- ahhh! [ 2 Answers ]

My roomates are always accidentally letting my cat outside. The little sneak is quick. He always comes back so that's not the problem. The problem is he torments little animals and birds. I know it's nature, blah blah, but he kills birds, mice, rabbits,etc. One time he brought back a baby rabbit...

View more questions Search