Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Selaina Miller Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 02:27 PM
    Circuit breaker OK, but no electricity in living room/dining room
    I have a 100 year old farm home. The lights went out in living room and dining room Thanksgiving night. The circuit breaker appears normal and the panel is OK.

What went wrong?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Most likely there is a loose connection somewhere in the circuit between the panel and the first dead outlet.

This can be a loose screw terminal on an outlet, or a loose splice in any junction box.

With the home being so old, you may have Knob & Tubing wiring hidden in the walls or ceilings, with Romex or BX cable exposed in the attic and basement.

The connections for K&T wiring are all buried in the walls/ceilings.

Each box, light, outlet, etc in the circuit will need to be opened looking for this bad connection.

A voltage tester will come in handy, without it, you will only be guessing hoping to find the obvious problem.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2007, 04:13 PM
    Some times a circuit breaker that looks Ok is off. Turning it all the way off and back on, may do it. Otherwise, good luck.
    Cobraguy Posts: 140, Reputation: 11

Nov 28, 2007, 06:09 AM
    The first thing to do is check the voltage on the load side of the breaker. Make sure you don't have a faulty breaker... or one that's actually tripped as labman suggests. Remember... K.I.S.S.
    Selaina Miller Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 11:45 AM
    Thank you all for the responses. I called in an electrician and he found the loose connection close to the main panel and before the first dead outlet.
    That worked out as I have blown in insulation in the walls.

Thanks again
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Thanks for letting us know the problem, and that I was right again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Living room painting [ 3 Answers ]

Please help I live in a mobil home so I don't know if the walls are different than a regular home they are not shiny the people before painted them beige and white sponging any way I want to paint them green my problem is I picked a nice soft slightly olive green color and I tried it on the walls...

Leak on the ceiling of living room [ 2 Answers ]

I have a water leak about 1 1/2 inch in diameter in the ceiling of the living room. The upstairs bathroom is above the leak. How can I find out if it is coming from the shower or the toilet? Or does it matter? Does the water from both drain through the same pipe?

Possible leak in the living room from the shower above [ 5 Answers ]

I need some assistance here. I have about a foot long portion(straight line) of my ceiling that is making me wonder if a leak from my shower in my master bedroom. THere is a portion of my ceiling that looks like it was a bad tape and plaster job, and it is directly underneath my upstairs...

Leaking living room [ 2 Answers ]

Every time there is a heavy rain water comes up through the floor against one wall. I also have a problem with standing water on half of my yard. Are these connected or 2 different problems. Yes, I have a french drain

Sewer smell in living room [ 7 Answers ]

New to the forum and I am impressed with the content. I have looked everywhere on Google and this and other forums, for an answer to my problem. I have a 5 year old bungalow on a septic system that has an absorbent well instead of a weeping field. We have been experiencing a sewer smell in our...

View more questions Search