Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetpie88 Posts: 104, Reputation: 2

Nov 14, 2007, 12:38 PM
    Does anyone have a red eared slider turtle?
    Ok I have a male turtle that I had for a month and since then I can't get him to eat the food pellets that I brought. My dad gotten a big tank for him but he had to get rid of the tank because he couldn't take the smell and he doesn't want to have to clean it every month. I have my turtle in a square like bucket with water and it's easier for me to clean now. So how can get my turtle to eat?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 12:46 PM
    The plastic in the bucket may be toxic to him. Put him back in the tank, and if it smells, clean it. That's part of turtle ownership. I had a turtle for a long time, in a tank, and it had to be cleaned every 3 days just about, but that's the responsibility part of pet ownership. If it was only being cleaned once a month, that's why it stank, and you will have to clean that bucket about EVERY day to get rid of the smell.

As for not eating, are you sure he's not eating or do you just not see him eat right away? The turtle could be too cold, put him in the tank and pick your preferred way of providing heat (heat lamp, lounging rock, etc) and make sure that's not too hot for it.

It may also be the stress of being moved from its nice home to a bucket.

Water sanitation may also be an issue. With no cover on the tank, chemicals may accidentally get in the water, and also, without a filter, it's not as clean.

Try other foods too, and see if he likes them.

If he still will not eat after you do these things, take him to a vet to find out what's wrong with him.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 07:44 PM
    Here is some additional information. Click on this link and there are different subjects that may be helpful for you.Valerie Haecky's (Mostly) Water Turtle Information Pages
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

Nov 24, 2007, 04:15 AM
    My mums turtle also has to be cleaned every 3 days , turtles can eat a lot of different foods, try asking the shop what they used.. they also like to eat fresh and live foods to , we like to feed my mums shrimp/prawn, bloodworm, etc and they also like vegetables fresh, try pinning down a piece of cucumber in the tank ,
    Swap him from the bucket to his tank, get a better filter that is capable of filtering a 4 ft tank or bigger , give him some land and a bulb so he can come out and sun himself if need be...
    As mentioned the plastic may be releasing toxins into his water and making him ill, or he could be stressed, you need to get him back in the tank and if your dad doesn't want to clean him out then clean him out yourself, if nobody is prepared to do the work properly then maybe he is better off with a new owner who doesn't mind the 3 day cleanout.. don't mean this to be offensive vut the main concearn here is the turtles health, if you can't supply what he needs then let somebody else do it for him ;)
    petguy Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2008, 11:18 AM
    One question is hew wild caught or from a store..
    sweetpie88 Posts: 104, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2008, 08:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by petguy
    one question is hew wild caught or from a store...?
    I got him from the store, but everything is OK now because I finally got him to eat! He only eats the worms and lettuce, thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Red Eared Sliders [ 2 Answers ]

Hi fellow members! I am new here as you all can see, I was thinking of getting a red eared slider. I know all the requirements they need, such as: - Basking Light - Basking area - Water All the other stuff. The only thing I don't know is the gallons, how big does a tank have to be for...

Red eared slider with swollen neck [ 1 Answers ]

My red eared slider turtle has swollen skin around his neck, he also seems to be shedding skin. Can you tell me how to help him and what is wrong with him. Thanks

Red eared slider turtle [ 2 Answers ]

Our Red Eared Slider turtle is in a tank by the window to get a little sun. We moved from Texas to New Hampshire and she has stopped eating. Does she need a certain temperature?

Drop-eared elbow [ 2 Answers ]

How far behind the finished wall should I install the drop-eared elbow for the shower head? See the picture Any problems if is 1.5" behind ? Thanks

View more questions Search