Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sillyxone Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Furnace's draft motor keep running
    Hi,

My furnace recently starts acting weird. After running up to satisfied temperature, the thermostat stops normally, then the blower stops 30 seconds later as usual, but the draft motor sometimes keep on running forever. Turn off then on the power to furnace obviously reset it to normal, removing the thermostat from the wall won't stop it, but switch the thermostat to "FAN ON" then switch to "FAN AUTO" will stop it.

It's hard to troubleshoot since the problem is not consistent, it happens every 2-4 days, sometimes after a long run, sometimes after a shot run.

I check the pressure switch, got 24V when the furnace is running, but got nothing when only the draft motor runs. The drain is not blocked. I just don't know what control the draft motor. I also cleaned the flame sensor, although it doesn't seem to be related.

I can attach some photos of the furnace and the wiring diagram if needed.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
    tsa7man Posts: 154, Reputation: 9

Nov 20, 2007, 07:30 PM
    Do the following test, shut off the t'stat for a call heat, power off the furnace to clear any issues with the control. Now, in the burner compartment, with the power back on, find the main limit switch, which usually located right over the burners ( should have two wires going to it)... take off one of the wires, and see if the main circulation blower starts, or does just the inducer blower start?? If just the inducer blower starts... your problem is that the main limit is trippping during a heat cycle, and the inducer continues to run to cool down the heat exchanger. This can be caused by a dirty air filter, closed or blocked room vents, and / or too slow of a main circulation blower speed, and in some cases, gas pressures not set correctly on the gas valve, and rare but possible defective main limit switch.

Nov 21, 2007, 04:34 PM
    thank you so much

I removed one of the wire from the limit switch, the burner fire up as normal except the main blower doesn't run while the inducer blower does run.

When I turn off the furnace and turn it back on (right after the test), the induced blower continue to run again. Guess I didn't remember it right when I stated earlier that turning off then on could reset it.

The only way to turn the inducer blower off is to set the fan to ON (on the thermostat) or set the thermostat to run the heat.

Since it's not consistent (has been running fine for the last two day), I don't think the limit switch is defective. I do notice that when the problem happens, the chamber is still hot, so I guess you are right that the inducer blower needs to run to cool it off. What I don't understand is: shouldn't the limit switch reset/turn off the inducer blower once it's cool enough?

On the limit switch there is an adjuster with values of 80, 85, 90, 95, 110. Currently it set to 110, and the main blower only run for additional 30 seconds after the thermostat reach desired temp and shut off. Can I adjust so that the blower run at higher speed or longer? I'm not sure if I can adjust the main blower speed but the diagram has the setting table.

Since uploading a 750px diagram is useless (too small to read), I uploaded the diagram here just in case:
    https://c4w-dev.cla.umn.edu/example/furnace_diagram.jpg

thanks lot for your help

Nov 23, 2007, 03:54 PM
    I was so stupid, the settings on the limit switch must be the lower limit for the main blower to stop running. I should have set it to lower number so that the induced blower don't have to do the main blower's work.

I'm lowering the setting to around 85 and see if it will change anything.
    johnjohn68 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Dec 30, 2007, 07:05 PM
    You have a control board issue,if inducer runs constantwhen no call for heat. But be sure there isn't a call for heat remove the rw at the conrol board if inducer runs replace the control board

Mar 31, 2008, 11:59 AM
    The problem was the relay that control the induced blower, it's too old and keep getting stuck. I read the diagram but it's not there, but I should have thought of it. Anyway, every time it happens, I just go down to the basement, kick the furnace slightly and the relay releases.

I replaced the relay and didn't have any problem within the last 3 months, so that's must be it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower motor won't stop running [ 6 Answers ]

Hello to every one, maybe someone can help with my problem. My furnace blower motor will not stop running. When the t-stat calls for heat it blows warm air after the heat cycle the blower blows cool air,so it's kind of working against its self. The only way the blower will shut off is if you turn...

Saniplus motor running on [ 3 Answers ]

I really hope someone can help us. We purchased our house in August 2004 and there was an ensuite shower room using a saniflo system already installed. The unit worked perfectly for 17 months (Dec 06) until the motor burned out, we assumed through age as we had no idea when the system had first...

Goodman furnace induced draft motor [ 3 Answers ]

On a call for heat the draft motor starts but the air proving switch does not close. I replaced it with the same result. Everything works normally if I close the switch manually with my own air pressure. Someone told me that somethimes the motor, due to age (this one is 13 years) will not spin fast...

Evcon furnace with motor constantly running [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have an evcon gas furnace in my mobile home, and it works fine, heats up and blows warm air, the problem is that the motor runs constantly, its very annoying(the blower does not go all the time only when it is heating). I was wondering if this is a hazzard that I should be worried...

Inducer motor starts running, but ignition never starts [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Payne Gas forced air furnace, and it's behavior has changed in the last couple of days, where it never gets past the Inducer motor cycle. When we turn on the thermostat (or even jumper across the "R" and "W" leads on the furnace controller) the inducer motor starts running and keeps...

View more questions Search