Ask
    lil miss vixen Posts: 49, Reputation: 0

Jan 11, 2006, 08:38 PM
    Putting her down?
    My dog,a schnauzer terrier cross, has been acting very funny latley
    She's always been a great dog, good with adults and children,
    Bit the other day she nearly bit my mom. She's nearly 9 years old
    And the just day I was petting her, and went straight for my hand she
    Would have made a nasty hole in my hand if I wasn't faster.
    She hasn't turned on my dad yet, but I'm worried she will. Now that she's attacked me and my mom for no reason, I've been starting to close my bedroom door at night. But she rams her head at the door until I open it.
    Then she'll snarl at me, and lay down, I'm very uncomfortable with this
    Situation, and my dad says if she does anything else she will have to be put down. Do you agree with this? I'm not sure how I feel nad I think if you tell me how you feel about the topic I may have an easier understanding about this situation. Thank you very much.
    mrs.pennell Posts: 132, Reputation: 21

Jan 11, 2006, 08:44 PM
    Have you taken her to the vet? Sometimes if an animal undergoes a big change in personality it is related to illness. Before you decide to put her down you should get her checked out... but do it quickly before someone gets hurt!

Jan 11, 2006, 08:46 PM
    Than kyou
    Thank you for replying so fast, she's been to the vet numerous times,
    And the bill is getting lengthy, we drive 4 hours regularly to get tests for her
    And we don't know what to do, I want to figure this out before anything gets worse.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2006, 08:52 PM
    We are talking a fairly small dog? At 9 years old, she should have many good years yet. In all but the most obvious cases, especially beyond 3 years old, any behavior changes, the first step is a visit to the vet. Tell the vet the problem. Also be ready to answer the vet's questions about possible changes in her life.

Please post back with what you find out. I will help if I can. For medical problems, best thing is to do exactly as the vet says.

I was writing another suggestion to visit the vet when you posted back that you had. I don't see a 9 year old dog suddenly turning nasty without some real cause. Would it be possible to check with a second vet without driving even further? Other than her health, what else could have changed in her life? Dogs get set in their ways and may not accept changes very well. Is she still getting the walks and grooming she always did? Are there new people or animals in the home or neighborhood? Strange, new noises or smells?

I doubt we can fix the problem until we figure out the cause.
    mrs.pennell Posts: 132, Reputation: 21

Jan 11, 2006, 08:53 PM
    I'm sorry... I don't know what else to suggest. I certainly feel bad for your situation though... we put my husky down this year because she was very ill and it was so sad. Maybe labman will have some good suggestions. He is the expert on pooches!

Jan 11, 2006, 08:58 PM
    Labman
    You guys are great. I really appreciate the feedback
    She's allergic to fish. But she never eats fish and neither
    Do we, in the case she might be allergic to the smell.
    That's the only thing the vets have found. (we've been
    To numerous for different feedback) but I'm really worried.
    My dogs only 8 ish. And, I thought medium dogs were supposed to have
    Medium amout of life years I was expecting over 10 for my dog.
    She's about the size of a standard schnauzer, and weighs 37 pounds.
    But do you thin kthat maybe if somebody who came to our house that
    Recently haad fish may have bothered her? But even if so, wouldn't
    The smell have to be recent for her to pick it up?
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2006, 09:10 PM
    Could a well meaning neighbor have slipped her some fish scraps or could she be stealing some cats dinner? Still allergies usually cause itching, not aggression. Maybe the second vet is still the best answer.

Jan 11, 2006, 09:12 PM
    Thanks
    Maybe, but I certianly hope not.
    I don't know. I'll see how she's feeling
    Maybe we'll ae to be more gentle with her?
    But she's kind of like a cat she just eats and sleeps
    And we let her. So I don't know what we could be doing
    To aggitate her.
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2006, 09:37 PM
    Was she so inactive before starting to snap? It doesn't sound like she is enjoying life much at all. I would like to see you help her. I am afraid your father may be right, if you can't get her enjoying life again, you may have to put her down. Before giving up, let's make a fight of it. Is she over weight? Losing some weight might give her more energy and a better outlook.

Jan 12, 2006, 02:50 PM
    Yes
    Sadly, she is inactive, and has always been over weight.
    She lost a ton of weight I nthe alst few year but she's still about 10 pounds too heavy. :(
    cdh Posts: 54, Reputation: 4

Jan 12, 2006, 03:14 PM
    I grew uo with a boxer that was diagnosed with a brain tumor. It caused behavior problems with him. Growling, using the bathroom in the house... Might be soemthing the vet needs to consider.
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2006, 04:59 PM
    Is the weight loss because you have carefully fed her less, or as part of her problem, is she just eating less? If she is less interested in food now, again, it looks like a physical problem. I really would like to see another vet have a look at her.

Jan 12, 2006, 08:07 PM
    OK.
    The vet had carefully planned out the diet, wo it was because of carful feeding schedules.
    But maybe I will check her into another vet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Putting on the weight [ 1 Answers ]

What foods can make you gain weight, that have no fats, if you have become ill but have lots of protein and calcium. Which are also tasty as say fast foods. As I like fast foods, but I would like something with more nutrition and quick and easy to make, or even better a ready made meal. I suffer...

Putting in a basement bath and laundry [ 5 Answers ]

I am putting in a sump and grinder pump in for a basement bath and laundry. I was wondering if I could use the 2" vent pipe from the pump package for the washer and bathroom vanity drain. Any thoughts? use a 3" vent ?

Bathroom remodel question (putting tub where WC used to be) [ 3 Answers ]

Not sure exactly how to connect to the 4" cast soil pipe that the house has, but, as the title says, I'm trying to connect a 1.5" or 2" tub drain to the 4" cast pipe (that's been in place for many, many years, and is pretty crusty). Any recommendations on a good sol'n to this? Thanks, Jeremy

Putting a web page together [ 1 Answers ]

>:(I received this freelance project to develop a website using Dreamweaver. I need to convert the layers to tables but when I do, a large .jpg image shifts out of place. I can't use it as a background image because that will tile it. I've had to insert other small layers on top of it and I think...

View more questions Search