Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Nov 14, 2007, 08:36 PM
    I've gained 50 pounds in 6 months
    And my diet has not chnaged any... I'm getting a little less exercise, but not that much. I can't afford to go to the gym. And since I sustained a serious back injury in my youth, it's difficult for me to exercise without being in an enormous amount of pain. What is the best way to lose weight without vigorous exercise? I've tried diet pills and everything...

I'm getting to a weight that is unhealthy...

I need help. :(
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 08:38 PM
    Count calories, limit the intake of fats, sugars, complex carbs, and keep a food journal, if that's what you think your problem is.

Even just taking long walks, bike rides, or doing less strenuous exercises will also help you.
    Vision Expert

Nov 14, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Thank you.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 08:46 PM
    Good luck!

If you talk to a doctor, they will be able to set up a good diet/exercise plan with you usually.
    Vision Expert

Nov 23, 2007, 02:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by malin20
    Dats why u respond to everyones question and is so rude!! ur miserable. instead of sitin at the computer go walking and jogging!!! instead of yelling help thru the computer. U need to go help urself. EXERCISE EXERCISE EXERCISE. dats da only way!!!!! U dont need the gym ma'am!!!
    I don't think that my response to anyone's question was rude. Perhaps unhelpful if I wasn't aware of all facts, but that happens. You, on the other hand, are very rude and are not being helpful. BTW, you just contradicted yourself. I need to exercise but I don't need a gym? Why, my goodnes, what are gyms for then?? SHUT EM ALL DOWN. :confused:
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 02:49 AM
    Maybe your metabolism is changing and you need a change in food plan. Also there are simple exercises that will keep the wait of depending on what kind of back pain you have and what exercises you need to avoid. Diet pills are no good. They will just make you lose it fast but gain more back later. There is no quick fix.
    little firefly Posts: 139, Reputation: 36

Nov 24, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Over the past 2 years I've lost 173 pounds. The way I did it was pretty simple. All I did was
    Cut out fried foods, regular soda (I drink diet soda, and have water throughout the day) and junk food (chips, candy bars, ice cream, etc, etc). I don't really like to cook, so I eat a lot of packaged meals, like Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice, and I make sure I eat a couple of pieces of fruit every day. I keep my calories at between 1200 and 1400 per day.

I really don't have time to go to the gym because of my job, so I just go for 20 minute walks during my lunch hour. You really don't need to go to a gym unless you want to tone up or build up your muscles, any kind of light, non stressful exercise will help you to lose weight (I'm living proof of that).

Something else that has helped me is that I allow myself one day a week to "cheat", usually Saturdays. On that day I can feel free to enjoy some of the foods that every other day are of limits to me, and it's easier for me to stick with my program for the rest of the week.

Good luck. Please keep us posted to let us know how you're doing. :)
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2007, 12:44 AM
    Please talk to your doctor... he or she should know about a sudden change in weight without a major change in habits.

As for affordability of a gym... check out the ymca... it's a great, friendly place to be and they will work with anyone on a pricing scale that can be met. At least talk to them.

Can you swim or recumbent bike? These can help you move your body without joint stress to back stress. Again, your doctor should be on board here.

And, as mentioned, your metabolism is going to be your enemy the rest of your life. When I turned 28 something bad happened. The normal lighter/heavier cycles id gone through stopped and the "skinny" phase didn't come back... and then again at 31... finally I realized I didn't have choice. An extra fifteen lbs wasn't going to go away without some work and changes.

Eating habits also needed to change... smaller portions, thoughtful planning. Oh for the teen days of sloth and gluttony when it didn't dent you. Youth IS wasted on the young.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2007, 11:43 AM
    It takes time to lose weight. Just like you didn't gain it over night it will take even longer to lose it. Follow the advise everybody has given you in the other posts and be patient.
    One time I tried for 4 months to lose weight eating right and exercising and two months after I basically gave up I started losing the weight. So it pays off in the long run. Giving up and staying on your old diet will only assure more weight gain.

Good luck
    taurinegb Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    And my diet has not chnaged any...I'm getting a little less exercise, but not that much. I can't afford to go to the gym. And since I sustained a serious back injury in my youth, it's difficult for me to exercise without being in an enormous amount of pain. What is the best way to lose weight without vigorous exercise? I've tried diet pills and everything...

I'm getting to a weight that is unhealthy...

I need help. :(
    If you gained that much weight in that much time you might want to go to the doctor to see if you have a Thyroid problem...
    Even if you can't go to the gym, walk. Walk everyday!
    TrueFaith Posts: 1,202, Reputation: 313
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2008, 02:54 PM
    I gain wight like a train that's why I'm so scared to eat anything

I'm at 178 pounds I'm 6.1 plus my work is based on the fact that I look in shape

So you can imagen even 10 pounds is a lot!

The only way I stave off it is by working out a lot.
    To give my meto a huge boost
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2008, 04:04 PM
    well... the post is about a couple months old, so its probably time for some feedback or updates... or to close it.

any news?

have you seen your doctor?

I'm a boy, and I don't beg for things that usually don't benefit me... but if you have not seen your doctor about this, please do? Ill even say pretty, pretty please if you promise...

=)
    little firefly Posts: 139, Reputation: 36

Feb 1, 2008, 11:28 AM
    TrueFaith agrees: Jesus how big are you?
    Well, I started at 320, and now I weigh around 150, and have been holding steady for a couple of years now.
    flowerkitty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2010, 11:39 PM
    All this advice is useless... Unless you've had your thyroid checked. Please, please, please ask your doctor to check your thyroid production levels. Mine put me on Synthroid and I was back to my normal weight and energy level in no time. People can pass out from a low thyroid production. Do not do it for your weight alone.. your health is at stake.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gained some weight [ 3 Answers ]

is it unusual to gain 5 pounds in a year? ( I'm 15 if that makes a difference )

I've gained some weight and I think I'm going to lose my husband [ 11 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married 6months. We have lived together for 2 years before our marriage. Needless to say we've been together a little while. When I met my husband I was 18 and 110 pounds and my husband told me every day how lucky he was to have a girl as beautiful as me. He would...

Why have I gained? [ 21 Answers ]

Okay, this makes ABSOLUTELY NO sense!! So I'm a size 2 and I'm 5 foot 6. I went on the scale and saw I weighed 140 and almost puked, so I decided it's time to work out. I usually don't gain weight but I hadn't exercised in like 3 months, so I started running 1.5 miles a day, and got sick of...

Got dumped.gained weight! [ 1 Answers ]

Well my boyfirend and I broke up... I used food for comfort especially chocolate and maccas... I have such a busy schedule that while eating all this food I didn't find time to work it off... so now I've put on 5kg... I just don't have time to work it off now I'm scared that I will continue to...

I have lost weight but gained half of it back [ 5 Answers ]

I lost weight 70 pounds but it was because I was really stressed out at the time and really I don't know how it came off, but I was happy that it did. I tried to keep the weight off by eating better and getting a little more exercises than I normally would but Ive gained almost half of it back and...

View more questions Search