Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nataliefindlay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 02:23 AM
    Effects of Ephedrine when taken with Fluoxetine
    I have just purchased Ephedrine and taken it a couple of times to help me lose weight and decrease my appetite. I have come across some information saying that Ephedrine should not be taken with some anti-depressants such as Fluoxetine, which I take. Why is this and what side effects could I expect? Also can the taking of ephedrine effect the contraceptive pill?

Thank you very much,

NF.
    Sissy108 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2007, 08:18 PM
    Where did u get ephedrine pills? I thought ephedra was banned in the united states. That is the only pill that actually worked for me
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2007, 09:01 PM
    It is banned but I buy it about once a year at the convenience store.
    I have to sign for it. I only take it occasionally when I need an extra energy boost.
    24 pills last me approximately a year. If you are going through 100 a year or 8 a month you most likely are taking more than you should.

Ephedrine does N0T work as a contraceptive and should N0T be taken with ANY other medication.

It was banned because it increases your heart rate to a potential heart attack and should never be taken on any regular basis. It was banned after a basketball player died from taking it. He was one of many that have died from it. Daily consumption is asking for serious trouble. It should not be taken as straight ephedrine, but only be taken as an ingredient in another pill but other pills (such as up your gas and stackers) had it removed when it got banned.

There are no warning labels on the container which is a problem since people have no idea of its potential dangers.
    Do not take if you have heart problems, D0 N0T take with any other drugs, MAO inhibator,
    Do not consume it with caffeine products (i.e. coffee, tea, cola, ) or other stimulants. Also, do not exercise after ingesting ephedrine and limit the amount taken. The combination of exercise and ephedrine can raise the heart rate and blood pressure to dangerously high levels (It can increase the heart rate to dangerous levels without exercise as well). Not for anybody under age.
    D0 N0T take if pregnant or breast feeding.

Ephedra Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings
    nataliefindlay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 02:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sissy108
    where did u get ephedrine pills? I thought ephedra was banned in the united states. That is the only pill that actually worked for me
    Hi, I got it from Buy pure ephedra / ephedrine hcl diet pills for weight loss - It is illlegal in certain doses but this is a low dose and you can make it up to the required dose and combine it with caffeine and asprin (although see comment further down as it does come with dangers and side effects). I find it decreases my appetite and gives me energy!

x x x
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 19, 2007, 07:53 PM
    You take ephedra with Prozac? Do you realize how dangerous this is?

Avoid medications such as fluoxetine (Prozac), sertraline (Zoloft ), paroxetine (Paxil), venlafaxine (Effexor), trazodone (Desyrel), mirtazapine (Remeron), nefazodone (Serzone), meperidine (Demerol), buspirone (BuSpar), dextromethorphan (contained in various OTC cold remedies), and OTC nasal decongestants (pseudoephedrine, phenylpropanolamine, etc.).
    Taken from Herbal Remedies for Weight

Please read this before you pop another ephedrine.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2007, 08:01 PM
    Have to spread some rep to you J_9
    I didn't catch the fluoxetine being Prozac
    Prozac is bad news combined with ANYTHING
    My ex beat my daughter black and blue when she was 5 because he was on Prozac and mixing it with things he shouldn't.

Ephedrine and Prozac is ASKING for a heart condition or worse!

Why Did the FDA Ban Ephedra?

As a result of more than 16,000 documented adverse effects, including heart palpitations, tremors, and insomnia, the FDA determined that ephedra posed an unreasonable risk to those who used it and banned the use of ephedra-containing products on April 12, 2004. The FDA found that the modest, short-term weight loss attributable to ephedra-containing dietary supplements did not outweigh the significant cardiovascular risks. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) research supported the FDA's findings, which indicated a greater number of adverse reactions to ephedra relative to other herbal products.

23-year-old Baltimore Oriole pitcher Steve Bechler died of ephedra toxicity in 2003
    As well as hundreds of other people.

Ephedra Lawsuits
    metabadrine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2008, 08:22 PM
    I am pretty much an ephedra expert. It did not kill the baseball player. But all that aside, I agree that Prozac and "anything" would be dangerous.

A lot of research is coming out about the link to depression and low testosterone. I've read and written a good bit about it. I suggest getting your testosterone levels checked by a doctor that prescribes natural hormones, not synthetic. Women need testosterone, too!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Possible effects [ 1 Answers ]

I have never been nauseas with ne of my pregnancies... but is it possible to be pregnant and have heartburn , nausea , and headaches... a week before your peiord and a negative test>>>>

Ephedrine--Is it a blue oval gel-cap? [ 2 Answers ]

Is ephedrine off the shelves? What does it look like--is it a blue oval gel-cap? If it is being monitored (for meth lab production), for what purposes do people have/use it? Has it become illegal to have more than a specific quantity of it? Thanks for your insight.

Effects of time [ 3 Answers ]

Where would I look for a job based on time since a felony conviction? Mine was in 1988. I would like to think that 19 years would make some kind of difference.

View more questions Search