Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cherylturrell Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 09:02 AM
    How do I dye my hair brown? From purple
    I dyed my hair dark purple and now its faded to reddy-purple and was wondering how to take it all out to go back to brown? I tried to dye my hair to red but it just remained the same purple. Ant ideas? I would like to do it at home . :confused:
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Nov 8, 2007, 06:42 PM
    Try using an "ash brown" hair. This will neutralize red/purple tones in your hair and make more brown.

Nov 17, 2007, 04:11 AM
    I have dyed it ash brown,still has a strong tinge of purple. I was wondering because I wanted to go brown so I could start over and go back to blonde, could I just simply dye over it now to a platinum blonde? I always use LIVE hair colours in platinum blonde and it sends it light blonde if I use 2 boxes, would it work?
    -

Nov 17, 2007, 12:13 PM
    A green-based ash brown or regular brown hair color will cover reddish purple tones in the hair. But since your hair is more purple than red, you will need to use a yellow-based color to control the purple cast. Please do not use another at-home hair color on your hair, you will end with unpleasant shades. I recommend that you visit a salon and have them do corrective color. A professional may be able to mix a formula and correct the problem for you.

Nov 28, 2007, 06:32 AM
    Going to a hairdressers tomorrow and theyr just going to dye my hair with a semi permanent dark brown, like black, just to cover it. The test pieces they took of my hair were coloured with only the faintest tinge of purple visble in light.but if its only covered and the purple is still there under neath I don't understand how they will be able to get it blonde later on.
    -

Nov 28, 2007, 04:16 PM
    If you have your heart set on being blonde, then you should go for it. In salons, they many different shades of blonde, I'm sure they can find a shade that suits you. In order to go blonde, you will have to bleach your hair to remove the pigments and then apply a blonde toner. This is known has double process hair coloring. Let the stylist know that you would like to go blond rather than dark, and he or will try to achieve your desired color.
    moooskimo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2011, 09:20 PM
    I don't know what to do to get the purple out (I actually have the same problem - my hair is brown with some purple tinting left over from when it was all purple and blue), but I can tell you from experience that if you have any purple in your hair at all, even the kind where you only notice it in the sun or bright lighting, and you dye over it with blonde with an at home kit, the purple parts will turn bright pink.
    alwaysblonde Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2011, 08:05 PM
    I hate to break it to you but once you go red or purple you CANNOT go back blonde. I have had red hair and tried and tried and tried to bleach it out but there is ALWAYS some red tones left over. I am going through a similar predicament at the moment and I am forced to go dark brown from red. Sorry to burst your blonde bubble but the red just isn't going to come out enough for it to look even decent.
    Ellie_M_ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2011, 08:23 AM
    I think you should ask for a hair dressers advice.. I am the same, and I'm going to ask tonnes of hair dressing shops and get their opinion on what they think I should do :)
    aw1290 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2011, 05:24 AM
    Okay so I've had dyed auburn-red hair FOREVER and decided I wanted platinum... it took way too many bleaches and dyes before I got it a nice shade because no one told me in the first place I should use a special "blue bleach" to neutralize the orange copper tones and make it less brassy. However, before I used the blue bleach, I did do normal bleach a few days before to get a lot of the red out (be prepared for sherbet-colored hair... though surprisingly I got compliments on it), so I'd recommend doing that first. If it still leaves copper shades over the blonde (probably will be some), you can buy a blue-based toner instead of dying it again. If there's more yellow shades in your hair, use a violet-based toner but don't leave either of these on too long or else your hair may look silvery. The ladies at Sally's told me all this, so I'd try to find one of those near you for further advice and tell them what you already know! Hope it helps
    rosalineee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2011, 06:06 PM
    There's a new product specifically for people with this kind of problem.
    Colour before by scott cornwall. They sell it in boots for 12.50
    Its amazing, I used it to dye my hair from dark purple and it went like a golden ginger and it was a lovely colour, but unfortunately I put a red dye on hoping to go red but am back to the purple I tried to get rid of.
    So if you want to go blonde, I recommend using this product, and then after using it put a semi permanent ash blonde hair dye on it. And then you can dye it whatever colour you like :D
    Survivorsrest Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2011, 01:04 AM
    I used epielle dark auburn on my gray hair and it turned purple. Wedding is at 2:30 pm on the 29 how can I get my hair to dark brown?
    -x-ice-cube-x- Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2012, 09:52 AM
    OK, you can get the purple out and go blonde straight away if you like, you will need a hair stripper though first (colour before should be fine), and then get a blonde dye, the best one I find to use is an ash blonde co lour, although all hair types are different so you may get away with using a different kind, it also depends on what colour you hair was to begin with though.

Another way is to use a bleach powder and crème peroxide, this will turn your hair slightly orange but the blue bleach will also remove your purple. I have always had strange and bright colours in my hair but can always go back blonde or brown when I want to doing this.
    glam86ss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2013, 04:56 PM
    If you get a damm good hairdresser then maybe, I was bright red when it was the in fashion color and my hairdresser got me from that to a damm decent blonde! Just saying!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Black hair, dyed brown, how can I dye it ash brown? [ 19 Answers ]

Hi I have naturally very dark brown hair, its pretty much black. I have been dying it black for the past two years. Today I bleached it and then dyed it "light ash brown". Obviously it didn't come out "ash" at all it more like a golden brown. My hair is actually still very healthy after...

Can I use a medium brown permanent hair dye over adark brown permanent hair dye? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I really need some advice about 3 weeks ago I dyed my hair dark brown permanent, my hair colour is naturally dark brown but now my hair is black and really making me look very hard and pale. Am I able to buy a permanent medium brown hair dye to lighten it up? I have read your site and see...

BROWN hair dye came out RED! [ 9 Answers ]

I have just dyed my hair yesterday using clairol natural instincts hair dye (last through28 shamppos). I wanted to go from a light brown hair to a little darker because my roots were coming in dark, but instead, my hair came out a dark red! I really hate it but I'm not sure of what to do. I don't...

My hair dye has gone purple! [ 4 Answers ]

I went to this really good hair salon yeaterday, and the woman dyed my hair "semi-permentant dark brown", but when I got home I noticed it had gone a dark red-brown color. This morning I went and asked her to re-do my hair. So she did the same thing but with a bit darker tone or semi-permanent hair...

Can I re dye my hair from dark brown to a lighter brown or darker blonde? [ 3 Answers ]

Here is my dilemma, please help!! I wanted to do a hair color change, so I had my hair 2 toned. I told her I wanted to be dark on the bottom and blond on top so she did half the bottom dark brown and mixed sandy blond with another color for the top and it came out very brassy/red did not look...

View more questions Search