Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 16, 2007, 12:44 PM
    Oil in radiator
    My wife's car (98 Buick Century) was just diagnosed with oil leaking into the radiator. We took it into a place because the heater stopped working.

Can anyone give me an idea of what the repair would need to be and the approximate cost?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Well I am guessing you'll have to fix whatever is causing the oil leak, and probably the radiator too. I will talk to my boyfriend, he is a mechanic, and get back to you.

I know car problems are SO frustrating sometimes.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 16, 2007, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    My wife's car (98 Buick Century) was just diagnosed with oil leaking into the radiator. We took it into a place because the heater stopped working.

Can anyone give me an idea of what the repair would need to be and the approximate cost?
    Are you certain it's engine oil and not actually transmission fluid?
    More likely trans fluid because that car usually has a trans fluid cooler built into the end-tank of the radiator. In that case, that one radiator tank will need replaced, though both are often recommended, and the entire cooling system will need flushed. The O.E. radiator lists at $495, much less if they do only the tank(s), plus coolant plus a couple hours to R&R the radiator and the end-tank, plus the system flush...

If it is engine oil, the source of the contamination needs to be diagnosed. Gasket failure would be likely here, but my experience leans toward the radiator tank.

Now, having said that, the heater core itself may be clogged due to sediment build-up. It too may need attention. That job can run from $150 for an O.E. heater core plus about three hours to R&R, including console if equipped.

Shop around and good luck.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Captain Rich is right and you need to be careful cause a garage will tell you it is a more serious problem than it is. I thought I had tranny fluid in my radiator and it was over heating and leaking within 10 minutes of starting it up. I knew a garage would rip me off so I bought $1.99 aluminum powder stop leak, changed the thermometer and flushed the engine. My problem was fixed and I found out that what looked like tranny fluid was actually from the liquid bars leak that I had put in it about three months prior.
    If it is tranny fluid in your radiator it will probably have a red clay color to it.
    Also I'd advise not to drive it if it is over heating or doing anything to worry about or you could end up with a cracked or blown head gasket.

Nov 16, 2007, 05:22 PM
    The shop I took it to said they can't handle this level of repair and they specifically said oil. Its also a shop I have a long term relationship so I tend to trust them. I did look in the reservoir a few days ago and the fluid was a muddy color.

I now have to find a shop that will handle this. I would assume that taking it to a Buick dealer will be overly expensive. But if I can get away under a G to fix it, I'll be happy.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 16, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Hey Scott, Buick may give you a diagnois of the problem at a resolable price and then drop that fee if you go with them for repair, any GM for that matter. Do you know if your shop did a compression check to see if you had a blown head gasket, that's a possibility too. A nine year old car starts taking you places you don't want to go, the bank and the repair shop.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 16, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Oil in coolant is unusual. It's usually coolant in oil: aka, milkshake in the oil. The intake gasket would be suspect here before cylinder head gasket, due to lower system pressures. Upper and lower intake gaskets can be done for around $66, plus coolant, for O.E. parts and under six hours flat-rate for R&R.
    Barring any other symptoms, like drivability issues (ruff run, or loss of coolant) the head gaskets should be fine on this car. Except for seals and some gaskets, this a very reliable engine.

I do want to share this service bulletin (editted here):

Bulletin No.: 00-06-02-004

Some customers may comment about a brown colored gel-like substance on the radiator cap and upper filler neck.

Correction
    Important : This condition is unique to the 3.1L and 3.4L engines and should not be confused with the condition described in an earlier bulletin describing rust in Coolant System.
    This condition is almost always confined to the radiator cap and upper filler neck, and is unrelated to heater performance. So it is not always necessary to change the coolant. Keeping the cooling system full at all times should eliminate future recurrence. Be certain that the cooling system is a 50/50 mix of Dex/Cool or equivalent.

Nov 16, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Captainrich, they tell me I got to spread it around before I can give you another greenie but you did great research here today.

Nov 16, 2007, 06:39 PM
    I'll check tmmw if they did a compression check. The guy I spoke to said he was going to check for bulletins on this but he had left by the time I got there to pick up the car.

The heating system is definitely not working. When set to front defrost there is cold air coming out of the top of the dash. If set to blend or heat, there is no air coming out of the front vents. If set to vent, there is cold air coming out of the dash. Also the temp gauge runs hot when idling.

Is the consensus that I should take it back to a Buick dealer? There is one with a good rep in the area.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 16, 2007, 07:23 PM
    I'll check tmmw if they did a compression check. The guy I spoke to said he was going to check for bulletins on this but he had left by the time I got there to pick up the car.

The heating system is definitely not working. When set to front defrost there is cold air coming out of the top of the dash. If set to blend or heat, there is no air coming out of the front vents. If set to vent, there is cold air coming out of the dash. Also the temp gauge runs hot when idling.

Is the consensus that I should take it back to a Buick dealer? There is one with a good rep in the area.
    I think I would take it to whomever you trust the most, Scott.

The factory dealer's service dept is a focus group, and I do believe that they could/should be able to pin-point the problem(s) with the greatest alacrity.

Again, In my opinion, they deal with these vehicles more frequently than any other facility. However, I admit, I tend to endorse dealers. Partially because I have been on both sides, with the aftermarket and with factory dealer's, and I personally know the dedicated experience, and warranty, is with the ones with the most training and the most current information.

Nov 16, 2007, 07:33 PM
    My problem is more that I don't have a mechanic that I truly trust. The shop I took it to is a national tire chain that I've been going to for years. But they apparently can only handle certain types of repairs.

On the flip side, dealer shops have a rep for higher costs. So, if I'm being advised that I can trust the dealer and that they won't overcharge then I'm willing to give them a try.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 16, 2007, 07:47 PM
    Scott, please take all of what you already know, in addition to what has been offered here, to the dealer. Get an estimate. They may offer additional repair's in addition to you original concern. Take that with a grain of salt... you know your car, and your needs better than they do...

Ask them to offer a warranty and don't be afraid to ask for their credentials: ASE Engine Repair and Performance Certification's in always nice.
    IR0NH0RSE Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Nov 16, 2007, 08:18 PM

If you're lucky , it'd be one head gasket. If not, it could be both head gaskets, or a cracked head or block. Repair would be based on time and local shop rate.

Nov 17, 2007, 08:02 AM
    One last thought, is there a snowball's chance in hell that someone who did not know their way around cars accidentally added oil to the radiator than the breather? I was thinking about Captain's comment that water in the oil can happen but oil in the water is rare due to the different pressures in the system. I thought, what else could put oil in the cooling system. I pictured a certain person in my life.

Nov 17, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    One last thought, is there a snowball's chance in hell that someone who did not know their way around cars accidently added oil to the radiator than the breather??
    I doubt if that happened. We have the oil changes done at a local tire place and my with wouldn't even know how to pop the hood and I know better.

I just talked to the shop and they agreed its more likely to be tranny fluid then oil. What they said is they couldn't tell. Also they didn't do a compression test.

The did give me a recomemndation for a place, but its kind of out of the way. So I probably will go with the dealer. I tried to make an appointment, but they are closed on the weekend and while their website allows you to make appointments the first available was Wed.

Any other insights anyone can offer would be appreciated.
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 08:53 AM
    I keep bumping the enter button for the enter button for the '
    I was saying that there aren't too many ways for oil to get in the radiator so it has to be like capt Rich said and I can't imagine anybody mixing up motor oil and coolant.
    Str8cntryboy Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Nov 17, 2007, 08:57 AM
    My (?) is has the little ladie been buggin you for a new car?
    Hint Hint
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 17, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Also the temp gauge runs hot when idling.
    This makes me think the whole system isn't flowing very well.
    With a vehicle like yours, the radiator and the heater core are likely at least partially clogged.
    What are the condition of the radiator hoses? And heater hoses? If they are too stiff, or too soft, now may be a good time of year to get them done.
    If done all at the same time, i.e.: radiator, heater core, and hoses with new clamps, fresh coolant, you'll save some money. And you, or your cars next owner, won't likely have to worry too much about cooling system problems for the life of the car.

Nov 17, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Nohelp4u asked how you pour oil in the breather. I am using old man terms when I said breather, the breather cap on the valve cover is no longer a breather in today's car, it is simply a oil filler cap. Sorry for using an outdated term, you aren'y 60 yet. I am betting the Captain was on the right track on the second post. He suspected trans fluid which is why more common in a radiator than oil.
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2007, 11:55 AM
    I know in my ( I think) 1970 Fury and my 1972 Eagle the breather was just a piece of sponge in the air filter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil Burner still dripping.Oil Co. Tricks.fear for 3 dogs lives [ 8 Answers ]

That 1 you see as a response to my boiler question was to redirect my boiler question to heating and cooling. Please refer to boiler burner dripping below. Still need an answer as am not willing to have the tricky oil companies service my problem after causing it. They want to see more dollars...

Moving a oil radiator [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently remodeling a bathroom with a oil fed radiator. (It has a Boiler) The radiator has to be moved from on wall to another. How do I do this and can you solder the joints without causing a fire.

My Oil burning boiler deloped an oil drip. [ 1 Answers ]

My oil burning boiler developed a drip. I recently had my boiler inspected for rust on the exterior. A sticker on the unit housing was charred and the burning area seemed rusty. I had gone a year saving money by allowing the unit to run only when I needed a shower or wash something in warm. I saved...

I accidentally poured oil in radiator [ 6 Answers ]

I stupidly poured about 1/2 quart of oil in my radiator (cap screwup). I'm sure I need to get this backflushed. But can I drive it to a mechanic or do I need to have it towed? 2003 BMW X5.

Commercial oil-based v.s artist's oil paint [ 1 Answers ]

I am painting on interior brick, already painted with oil-base commercial and wish to use commercial oil-base paint because I think it is more durable than artist's paints, i.e. dusted, perhaps even washed. Is there something I can use to thicken it, thus allowing it to work more like artist's...

View more questions Search