Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    p_cogan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 11:45 PM
    Light on 3-Way Switch Won't Turn Off (Change Switches Already)
    To summarize, I have a light on a 3 way switch that will not go off via the switches. I replaced both switches with new 3 way switches and the light still won't go off.

We have a hall light that has one switch upstairs and one switch downstairs. The light won't go off so I changed the switches and replaced the old switches with new 3-way switches on both ends.

On the upstairs switch, were two black wires (old ones with a cloth type insulation) and one black wire with plastic insulation. The black plastic covered wire was on a black screw and the cloth covered wires were on brass colored screws on the old switch. I put the black plastic covered wire onto the black screw on the new switch, and the two old cloth covered wires onto the two brass screws on the switch.

Downstairs, there were two black wires and one white wire. The white one was connected to the black screw so I assumed it was the live wire and connected that one to the black screw on the new switch, and the two black wires I connected to the two brass screws on the new switch.

Thinking I was all done, I switched the power back on and the light still stays on all the time, even after turning the light switches off. I don't know much about wiring, but I had assumed that all power to the light would be cut off if a working switch is turned off.

The only thing I can think of is that one of the new switches I bought is also broken, but that seems so unlikely. Any other suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 13, 2007, 09:39 AM
    Mr. Cogan,

I would either hire an electrician because the wiring to the switches is mucked up or I suggest that you go to Lowe's, Home Depot or Barnes and Noble and pick up Black and Decker's, "Complete Home Wiring" that shows you how to wire two, three and four way switches.

However, I strongly suggest calling the electrician.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 09:57 AM
    I would try this:
    1) Turn power off for safety if needed.
    2) Remove all wires from both switches.
    3) Determine which of those 6 wires is hot, and connect to dark screw of that switch.
    4) Connect remaining 2 wires and connect to that same switch.
    5) Go to other switch and with power on, determine which wire is hot, identify.
    6) Go back to first wired switch, and switch to other position, and see which wire is now hot, those 2 wires are the travellers and connect to the same colored screws.
    7) The remaining wire goes to the light, and should connect to that switch dark screw.
    Note: the 2 wires(travellers)go from 2 same colored screws from one switch to 2 same colored screws on other switch.
    The single dark screw on one of the 3 ways is always hot, and the other switch dark screw goes to light.
    Good luck.
    Also, 1 of the switches could be bad.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2007, 10:47 AM
    If the problem is the switches were miswired, Stratmando's system will work. Could we have a little history? Did the switches ever work? What was done when they quit working? If nothing, it is possible a couple of the wires shorted together. After step 2, check all he wires to see if any pair of them show a very low resistance. If so, they are shorted, and you will have to track down where and perhaps replace them. The pair that goes to the light should show about 30 ohms. If none of them are shorted, turn the power back on and go ahead with step 3.

To do simple checks like this you do need some tools. A test light, a meter, or a voltage detector might be the best place to start with. I came across the niftiest gadget for trouble shooting, a voltage detector. They work through the insulation of wires. There are several brands. I have a GB Instruments GVD-505A, less than $15 at Home Depot. Touch it to a hot wire, and the end glows red. Find the doodad that lights it on one side, and not the other, and you have the culprit. You do not have to open up housings and expose electrical contacts. You are looking at where your hand is, not where the meter is. Most people are capable of doing repairs and will get it going and not get hurt if they use a little sense. The voltage detector makes it even easier.
    roswell doc Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 5, 2008, 03:55 PM
    I am replacing some old can lights with some new ones - the two cans aer on a three way switch and the wire from the switch to the old cans was a 12-3 - the way the cans were wired had the red wire twisted together while the white and black wires fed the lights - after the second canister light there was another wire (12-2) which looked like it feed back to the panel. When I wired the lights with the red wires being the runner and then tieing the 2 wire in with the white and black I wasn't able to turn the light off - what is up

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Turn off change oil light 2001 pontiac grand am [ 2 Answers ]

How do I turn off the change oil light on a 2001 pontiac grand am.

Change Pilot Light Switch with a Single-way Switch [ 1 Answers ]

It's worth noted that I am a complete novice, so please be patient with me. I want to replace an existing pilot light switch with a single-way lighted switch. The existing setup has four terminals (red wire, black wire, white wire, and ground wire). The red wire goes to the left, the black wire...

Fan and light kit are on the same switch. Want to change it. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just purchased a new construction home and I am wanting to figure out the easiest way to put the fans and light kits on separate switches or controls. I have a large vaulted rectangular living room that has two fans with a light kit on each fan. Both of the fans and the light kits are...

One Switch two lights - the second light furthest away from light won't turn off [ 4 Answers ]

One Switch two lights - the second light furthest away from light won't turn off but the first one does Worked until I swopped the roses. Suspect that didn't do something right when putting them back. Up to now - left bulb out but need to get it to work now.

Ceiling Fan single switch/Light two 3-way switches [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wire... Ceiling Fan with Light switched separately. Light to be controlled by two 3-way switches and fan controlled by a separate single switch. :confused:

View more questions Search