Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amb482 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 09:17 AM
    Can I evict my roommate?
    Can I evict my roommate who isn't paying the bills and who is abusing drugs? Buffalo New York is where I reside, his name is on the lease but I'm the primary person for he has bad credit and would not of been approved without me.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 13, 2007, 09:36 AM
    His name is on the lease but are you on the lease too? You aren't the landlord so you aren't going to evict anyone but the true landlord could evict. Most leases contain landguage about illegal behaviors that void the lease. Might want to discuss this with the landlord. You could also sue your roommate in small claims and try to recover past rent that you paid for both of you.

Nov 13, 2007, 09:43 AM
    Thank you but I just want him out I don't want drugs in my life!

Nov 13, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Amb482, could you go back and answer my question, are you on the lease too? If both of you are on the lease you will be responsible for the entire rent but it sounds like you are doing that already. I think the drug use clause in the lease is your best way to go, that or turn the rm into the cops while you are away from the apartment.

Nov 13, 2007, 10:17 AM
    Yes my name is on the lease. And I felt bad calling the cops but I may have no other choice.

Nov 13, 2007, 02:00 PM
    Scott is correct, the LL may have to give both of you the boot in an eviction but if you work with the LL he may just allow you to re-rent on your own lease. That way he faces no vacancy period while looking for a new tenant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I legally evict a roommate... as soon as possible? [ 4 Answers ]

I let my sister in law move in to my house in which I currently have a 12 month lease. She is not on the lease and I need to get rid of her. She is always late or short with the rent and I believe she is doing drugs. I want her out but I want to do it legally so she has no recourse other than to...

Evict a roommate [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Recently my roommate currently decided not to pay rent rent or do any household duties. Her name is on the lease as a secondary tenant while I am the primary. The bills and the checks for rent are currently coming from my checking account. If I have the verification that I am the responsible...

I need to evict my roommate [ 4 Answers ]

I own a 2 family house in Massachusetts and I live in the first floor unit with a new roommate. I didn't know him prior to him moving in. He moved in on April 1st and gave me the $500 rent money before I gave him the keys. Yesterday when I asked him for the rent money for May he told me that his...

How do I evict a roommate if I am the landlord and live in the same [ 1 Answers ]

I am a townhouse owner in Massachusetts and I rent two rooms in the house out to two roommates. I do not have a written lease with them but they agreed to pay the rent and split all utility bills. One of the roommates started paying the rent and the utilities late (she now owes me over a...

How do I evict my roommate? [ 1 Answers ]

My roommate is not on my lease. We have been living together for about 5 months and he had paid rent once and never has paid the utilities. I have been letting it go because he lost his job and I gave him time to find a new one. However he has not even been looking. I have tried to be nice because...

View more questions Search