Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigblozy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2007, 07:16 AM
    7 year old grandson
    Our 7 year old grandson is having problems remembering even the smallest of things. I tell him to go upstairs and get his shoes, by the time he's to the top of the stairs , he forgets and will cry. I had him in catholic kindergarten last year and the teacher called time after time and wanted us to find a doctor to diagnos him with adhd, when we took him to the doctor he said no meds, the school said find another doctor. Now we've changed him to public school hopeful that hed have a better year. He does not understand or comprehend anything, Im beginning to wonder if he's slightly mentally disabled. He has also told me that voices talk to him, is this normal for a 7 year old. Hes not mean, or destructive. He plays good with others. Howeever, his mother is a addict, father as well. He llives with us, but when his mom comes its fighting , we try to curtail the language and ask her to leave. She did take drugs her first 3 months of pregnancy. Also my father was schifranic. I think my daughter could be bi-poler. Not sure. I am just concerned about my grandson and want to get him the help he needs just don't know where to start. We had my grandson on "focus" from Roex but did not see any difference. Any suggestions ? Thanks. Carol
    kiki_doki Posts: 200, Reputation: 11

Nov 12, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Carol, I don't think that putting your grandson on meds was a great suggestion by the kindergarten! First he needs to be diagnosed in order to establish what, if anything is wrong with him. The doctor should have referred you to someone else who deals with such matters, I think you should either go back and asked to be referred to a hospital or ask another doctor for a second opinion. What in his behaviour made the teacher suggest he had ADHD? With the history of mental illness I would perhaps take him to a child psychiatrist, just to rule things out and maybe they could advise you on where to go for further help!
    I wish you all the best Carol
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 12, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Carol,

You need to take him to a pediatric psychiatrist or psychologist. If Mom did drugs during pregnancy he could have some very serious mental disabilities.

While your Dad has been diagnosed with schizophrenia, many children have a 50/50 chance of getting this, it usually does not appear until the late teen years.

Stop spending the money on ROEX, as a nursing student many of these so called meds are a scam. Some work, but others are a total scam.

Your grandson needs a psych eval to rule out fetal alcohol/drug syndrome as well as (and this is probably not the case at this moment) schizophrenia.
    Mylittlesunshyne Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

Nov 12, 2007, 08:35 PM
    There, is, I am certain, for I take them myself, Nothing wrong with taking Medication, The case with me, though, is that I was tested, and they found I had a VERY high IQ, now the next few things I'm going to explain may sound like I'm bragging, but I'm telling you these things so that in you will find peace in your mind.

1st grade through 5th grade.. Bad grades can't remember anything, love to learn. 6th grade to 8th grade Highest honors, hono socioty, and student of the month. The thing sir, is that veryone is different, my father is a doctor, he was sure he had ADD when he was little, but there was no medicine for it. But then as he grew a bit older, it wnt away, leaving a high I.Q.I believe the same is happening for me. As I have a 4.0 right now. Anyway, what they did with me, was that they tested me for IQ. and for ADD, they found I did have ADD, and put me on medication. That is what they should do for you.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2007, 02:19 PM
    From what I have read about Roex it is a good product. Whether you get him put on psychotropic drugs you should have him taking B complex and omega fatty acids.
    Here are a couple good article on omega fatty acids and how they are beneficial for kids.

Children and Omega-3 Fatty Acids

Fish oil Omega 3 essential fatty acids for healthy brain function by Gretchen Vannice

Also the preservatives and chemicals in fast foods and junk foods worsen ADHD.

I really believe that one of the problems with the hyperness in kids is the parent(s)
    Drug addiction being passed on.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 04:09 PM
    First place to start is your pediatrician. Many catholic school educators are not certified or have the background to make a diagnosis. Further more I would have removed my son from her care.

Secondly, although medication may work it acts as a band aid. First you should get a diagnosis and then possibly treat with meds

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I claim my grandson? [ 13 Answers ]

My daughter had a baby this fall.. since he was born (and before that) I have paid the unsubsidised rent, utility bills, day care while my daughter worked for a short time and purchased most of his clothing,diapers etc.. So except for the state aid help, she does not get child suport.. I have paid...

Grandmother bathing with an almost 3 year old Grandson? [ 15 Answers ]

My stepdaughter told me that her almost 3 year old son is bathing with his other Grandmother. Is this normal or an OK thing to do? I told my stepdaughter that I think it is a form of child abuse. Am I right?

Evict Grandson [ 1 Answers ]

How can my mother evict her abusive, non -paying grandson from her home?

Getting custody of grandson [ 1 Answers ]

My oldest son went to prison when he was almost 18. At the time he had a girlfriend who had a baby after he was incarcerated. WHich turned out to be his. He just turned 24 this year and is coming up for parole. I never saw my grandson until this past July. During the last 6 years she also had a...

My Grandson [ 7 Answers ]

My precious little grandson does the weirdest thing once in a while. To explain a little when he was born he was breech, he never crawled, he sat straight up and hopped. He had months of therepy and started walking very late. At about age two he started with these little twitches, his legs go...

View more questions Search