Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sellis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2006, 06:49 PM
    Painting Paneling
    I have very dark paneling I want to paint, am not sure what paint to use or how to prime it. Also can I make it look less like paneling once I paint it?

Thank you
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 2, 2006, 07:35 PM
    Scuff the paneling w/ 100 grit sand paper on a pole sander. Prime, then paint desired color. To get rid of the paneling grooves, you can spackle the paneling to fill in the grooves, sand smooth, prime, then paint.
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Jan 3, 2006, 10:40 AM
    The only suggestions I would offer to compliment Skibergers excellent comments would be to:

a) Wash the walls thouroughly after sanding with a TSP solution (or TSP substitute) and rinse the walls and allow to dry.

b) scuff sand and wipe down the wall after priming and between top coats.

Oil based (Alkyd) primers tend to bond better and cover better, but, I have had excellent results with Behr's Enamel undercoater (especially with Satin or shinier paints).

For the top (color) coat, use a latex paint. From what I remember when I was a depot paint geek, oil based tended to dry harder and latex remained a little more flexible. Since paneling is typically a 1/4" thick and is installed by itself and not over drywall, it will flex if anyone leans against and that may cause an oil based paint to crack over time.

Good luck, Dan
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2006, 11:13 AM
    We did this in our basement with some success. The key is the primer. Ask at a paint specialty store for the proper kind, stain blocking primer is what we got. The paneling will really suck in the primer so be prepared to use a little more than usual which will mean a lnger drying time. I agree with the TSP wash as oily stains on the paneling will make for a poor looking final result. I agree with Labman that I hated doing it but it's stopgap fix that looks quite good for the time being.
    sellis Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2006, 10:48 AM
    Thank you for your responses, looks like a lot of work but worth it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wood paneling [ 6 Answers ]

I just bought a house with ugly brown wood panneling :( For a cost effective solution (for now) instead of ripping it down, can we paint it? How about white washing it? Would white washing it make it look more like birch? We have the northwoods theme going on so that might work. ANy advice...

Painting Fun! [ 3 Answers ]

Here's a place where you can indulge your inner abstract expressionist: move your mouse to splatter virtual paint and click to change the color. To create a hard copy, right-click on the "canvas" and select Print. Painting Fun I am not printing mine out and showing it to anybody. Let's just...

Painting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a painting that has paris etching society ny usa at the top and I believe the name is Diane Emmla Leconte. Can you tell me if she is a artist and if so how much is the painting worth?

Paneling a bathroom.. need help [ 1 Answers ]

Do I panel before or after my sink tub and shower get installed?thanks

Paneling Seam Tape [ 2 Answers ]

I have put up some new paneling and most of it looks really good, but there are a few seams that show up. My brother told me about using seam tape that matches my paneling, I cannot find this, Lowe's & home depot thought I was on drugs when I asked. Can any one point me to a website or a store that...

View more questions Search