Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jasondbel Posts: 165, Reputation: -6

Nov 10, 2007, 01:48 PM
    Post dated checks
    My girlfriend wrote 3 post dated checks at 5000.00 a piece (rent advance) for a restaurant. The restaurant collapsed due to a hurricane. She was arrested. Is that extortion on the landlords part? Can she really get into trouble? I thought postdated checks are not considered NSF.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Actually the banks legally do not have to acknowledge the post date any more and can put it through and bounce it. I really don't follow the rest because if the restaurant collapsed why would she owe the rent and what would that have to do with NSF?

Nov 10, 2007, 02:01 PM
    After a hurricane flooded the bar and restaurant the owner told her he would give her 3 months to try and get it back together if she wrote out the rent post dated checks for those three months. She never could come up with the 5000. A month and lost the business.

Nov 10, 2007, 02:03 PM
    This was 8 yrs ago. She jumped bond and they just caught up with her last week.
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2007, 02:18 PM
    I am not following something. Why would she be responsible to pay for what the hurricane did?
    It sounds to me like he was trying to pull something. I think she needs a good lawyer.

Nov 10, 2007, 03:20 PM
    It was waterfront prime property the only people to get insurance was the owners. ONe had to be grandfathered in to receive insurance. It was a at your own risk business. One knew the stakes. It was a 20,000 a month business until a hurricane hit. It was flooded. She thought she had the means to clean it up. So the owner gave her 3 months
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2007, 03:26 PM
    So she still had to pay rent even though the building was basically non existent?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 10, 2007, 03:30 PM
    So let me see, did she write the checks, then not put any money in the bank to cover them, so she wrote three bad checks?? If so then each check would be a separate felony charge.

Since she jumped bail, she will have additional legal problems.

There is no crime in writing a post dated check, the crime is not putting money in the bank to honor them.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 10, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Independent of her motivation, you said she jumped bond!
    That means this has already been deemed to be her responsibility.

She was in agreements she probably shouldn't have agreed to.
    But she made financal agreements, and didn't repay them.

Good advice is often better enjoyed than a great lawyer.

Nov 10, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Comment on N0help4u's post
    Thank you great advice

Nov 10, 2007, 07:53 PM
    Do you think she will get time in jail for those checks and jumping bail? That was not extortion on the owners part?
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 10, 2007, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondbel
    Do yall think she will get time in jail for those checks and jumping bail? That was not extortion on the owners part?
    If she's already under judgement, she'll likely serve the remainder, plus what the judge feel's is appropriate penalty for violating.

Extorsion? Could be subject to argument... but that's secondary to this other issue...

Nov 10, 2007, 08:09 PM
    Comment on CaptainRich's post
    Thanks a lot!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 10, 2007, 08:12 PM
    Where's the extortion? The landlord entered into an agreement to extend her three months if she provided the post dated checks. She agreed to this. By not covering those checks she is guilty of passing bad checks.

She compunded the issue by jumping bond. What she should have done is declare bankruptcy.

Sounds like she's heading for jail.

Nov 10, 2007, 08:14 PM
    She was arrested for it 8 yrs ago, got out on bond, and never went back to court for sentencing or a plea so she was never given a punishment yet. But now they caught her have expidited her from one state to the other and holding her she will probably plead guilty. Do you think for first offense (although it was three post dated checks for 5000.00 a piece) she will get time? Because we have a two year old and I'm a truck driver.

Nov 10, 2007, 08:17 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Straight to the point no b.s. that's what I was looking for thanks!
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 10, 2007, 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondbel
    she was arrested for it 8 yrs ago, got out on bond, and never went back to court for sentencing or a plea so she was never given a punishment yet. But now they caught her have expidited her from one state to the other and holding her she will probably plead guilty. Do you think for first offense (although it was three post dated checks for 5000.00 a piece) she will get time? Because we have a two year old and im a truck driver.
    She signed her name, took the money and ran. Time to pay!
    If she doesn't, we all will. That's not fair!
    What YOU do is not relevant
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 10, 2007, 08:30 PM
    Had she not jumped bond, she might have not done time. Now its going to be much harder to keep out of jail. She needs a good lawyer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stale Dated Checks [ 1 Answers ]

Our bank reconciliation shows unclaimed outstanding checks from prior years. I want to clear these stale dated checks. How do I properly journalize stale dated checks? Some people say to debit cash and credit a special liability since they believe it's still a liability. Then after a few more...

Post dated checks [ 1 Answers ]

I issued 5 post-dated checks in different dates. Do I prepare a check voucher? What is the entry/ies?

Post dated check [ 2 Answers ]

If a bank accepts a post dated check and it causes your account to become overdrawn, is the bank responsible for the overdrafts or am I?

Post dated cheques [ 1 Answers ]

Hello how are you, 1. what is the accounting entry for post dated cheques issued & post dated cheques received and please mention how it will appear in trail balance. Thanking you.

Post dated checks in US Banking [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if post dated checks are used in US Banking?Say for example in take a loan for 50000$ Tenure :12 months.I give my bank 12 future dated checks.How is this condition handled in US banking. Thanks Sandeep

View more questions Search