Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eemia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 11:38 AM
    Did not file taxes last year
    What do I do if I forgot to file my taxes last year? Can I file them with this years taxes?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 9, 2007, 12:22 PM
    No - you must report 2006 income on a 2006 Form 1040 - you cannot combine 2006 and 2007 into a single filing. It's never to late too file - I suggest that you complete and send in your 2006 income tax ASAP. If you owe the IRS money they will charge you interest for late payment, and also a penalty for late filing, but the sooner you do it the less those charges will be. If they owe you money, it's in your best interest to file and get your refund. Do not wait!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 9, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Ebaines is correct!

Also, if you are entitled to a refund for 2006, the IRS will pay YOU interest, so the refund will be slightly higher than the figure on your tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I did not file my taxes but had taxes taken out of my check [ 14 Answers ]

I'm kind of worried here... I don't know why I didn't, but it is what it is. I just didn't file my taxes for 2005 and 2006. I also worked for a company in 2004 that paid me in personal buisiness checks that I would cash at citibanks, etc. but they never had me fill out any paperwork and never...

6-year Indian Student, 1040EZ but claiming social security taxes from 5th year. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and all at the same university in NYC. This will be my first year filing the 1040EZ, and I have a few Q's... Four questions: * Is the 1040EZ form the...

I need to file a W-4 for this year. [ 2 Answers ]

I got married last June and when I filed my new W4, they somehow put me as exempt and no taxes were withheld from july-dec. I need to re-file a w4 for this year and need to make sure I get enough taxes withheld. I know to put at the bottom married, filing at higher rate, but do I put o 0r 1 on the...

Can I file last years taxes this year [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Rhode Island but work in Massachusetts. I filed my Rhode Island income taxes last year but forgot to file my Massachusetts non resident. Can I send in my Massachusetts non-resident form from last year (2005) this year (2006)?

Relocating back to Europe ~ how to file taxes next year [ 1 Answers ]

I will be moving back home to Austria in a few weeks and was wondering what the procedure is for me to file taxes next year (I was working until May 06). Can I do this from Europe? Is there any paperwork I need to fill out before I leave the country?

View more questions Search