Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trippsdad Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 06:05 AM
    Crack in wall sheetrock
    We have a conventional foundation in a house built in 2001. There is now a 12-18 inch crack in the sheetrock ( very small, not deep) that goes from the top of a window sill at a 90 degree angle toward the ceiling. The outside of the house shows no cracks. Should I be concerned? Thanks a bunch for any help
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2007, 06:36 AM
    This , unfortunately, is typical settling for any new home, repair as needed.

If you see some breaks in the LOWER sections of the house, namely the foundation,especially around the ground line, or below grade( if you have an exposed basement.) then you might have a concern.

With all newer construction, settling will occur,small areas of a home will move to account for the changes, even weather can make interior wood to expand and contract slightly, till its in a 'final' position.

Hope this answers your question,

Ken

Nov 9, 2007, 08:25 AM
    Comment on KBC's post
    Thanks so very much--that is what I was hoping to hear
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 9, 2007, 10:04 AM
    KBC got this right. Did you also need to know how to repair this properly so it won't come back?

Nov 9, 2007, 11:45 AM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Yes , please, I would appreciate some tips on how to repair this THANKS
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 9, 2007, 12:23 PM
    Hey Trippsdad, just curious but what did you click when you rated my answer. I got a gray mark on my history, the normal color is green fro agree and red for disagree. Which did you click? Now for the repair, lightly sand the crack, parallel with the crack 1"both sides. Put down a strip of fiberglass drywall tape straight down the crack, now cover with joint compound and feather the edge. Do not sand the compound but feather about 3 thin coats and then wipe with a damp sponge to get it smooth. If this cracks again do the same repair but buy s pecial repair patch that is like the tape but 3x wider.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surface crack in new Vikrell shower wall [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought and installed a new replacement (4-piece) Sterling shower unit with Vikrell walls. A slight surface dimple/indentation (5 mm in diameter) was discovered on one of the walls after installation was complete. The crack has not gone all the way through the shower wall. How can I...

Wonderboard or Sheetrock? [ 12 Answers ]

This is not REALLY a plumbing question, but the experts here might be able to help. My tile man has installed "waterproof" sheetrock (green) on the walls that he is about to tile in a renovated bathroom. I heard that for a bathroom, one should use WonderBoard instead, because of its superior...

Sheetrock materials [ 2 Answers ]

What type of nails are used for sheetrock trim?

Sheetrock [ 3 Answers ]

What is 'fire tape'? Can 'green board' be used on ceilings? What are the various coatings on nails and screws and what are their uses?

Crack in pipe that enters the wall under sink [ 1 Answers ]

I have a crack in the chrome pipe that goes from the wall into the PVC that my kitchen sink dumps into. Is there a way to fix this without ripping out the wall and replacing that pipe?

View more questions Search