Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glenpaden Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 04:07 PM
    Wiring a 3 way lamp
    I am rewiring an old electrical hurricane lamp that has a small bulb in the bottom part and a regular bulb in the top. The appliance has 3 connector poles (one copper and two silver). What wires go where? There are two wires, one connected to the outlet and one from the small bult in the bottom of the lamp.

Egp
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 09:58 PM
    Confused. I got the two lamps and the power cord part.

I have no idea what a "small bult in the bottom of the lamp" is.

Is "3 connector poles" mean 3 terminals? Possibly a common and one terminal to one lamp and the 2nd terminal to the other lamp?

Does the lamp have an outlet on it?

Where is the 3-way switch? Does it have one?
    glenpaden Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 10:41 PM
    The hurricane lamp has two large glass globes one on top of the other. The switch is in the middle. The bottom globe has a small bulb like you would find in a nightlight. This has a wire to the switch. Then there is a large bulb in the top globe. We have a second wire from the outlet. So 2 two strand wires and 3 terminals.?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 05:06 AM
    Lets start with the plug. It should have one blade on it that is wider for the neutral. You want to connect that wire to outside of both bulb sockets, newer ones have a silver plated screw. The other, with the narrow blade is the hot. Run it to the copper screw at the switch. Then run wires from the 2 silver screws to the brass screws of the bulb socket.

The switch should switch power from the copper screw first to one silver one, and then the other. Most switches have a fourth position that connects both screws to light both bulbs.

If you don't have the wider and narrower blades, don't worry about it. It will still work, but if you change bulbs with the power on, the outside bulb base could be hot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 way lamp socket [ 5 Answers ]

I have just replaced an old 3 way (knob style) lamp socket with a new 3 way pull chain lamp socket. The bulb is good, but the lamp only lights on 1 stage. What did I do wrong?

Spiral Fluorescent lamp [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a Hampton Bay Outdoor Wall-mounted lamp with motion-sensor. The installation comes with a 100 watt incandescent lamp. The fixture works as described. I replaced the incandescent lamp with a 23 watt spiral fluorescent lamp (100 watt incand. eq.). It works as described except when it...

Wiring T-stat to control heat lamp [ 14 Answers ]

I would like to heat an area (128cf with no moving air) using a 1500W heat lamp(s). I would also like to control the temp. inside this space with a standard home T-stat. mounted inside the area being heated. I understand the T-stat uses 24v while the heat source is 120v. I would also like to add a...

View more questions Search