Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    naderbd Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2005, 01:13 PM
    internal and external vga & Video card with TV out...
    Ho.. sorry I an a beginner on this field... I want to buy a vga or video card for watching movies loaded in my computer on my TV screen.. so I want to know what is the difference between the VGA and The Video card.. my computer is pentium 4 so if I bought a 256 mb vga card or video card with 2048x1536 Max.Res. Is enough to get a clear stable picture on my 27 inch TV... please help me...
    deejay88 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2006, 07:15 PM
    I see it's been a while since you posted your question, so this may be centuries too late. But, anyway...

The video card you mentioned (256 mb, etc.) is plenty to shoot the image onto a TV set. The important thing is to make sure that both the video card and your TV have a common connector type (i.e. both have an S-Video port, or composite video connectors).

VGA (Video Graphics Array) is simply a "standard" or a benchmark, if you will, to rate video cards. The VGA standard required a video card to be able to display 16 colors with a resolution of 640x480, as well as many other specifications that don't mean anything to us.

There are many other standards, but today all you hear about is VGA and SVGA (Super VGA). SVGA is the "norm" nowadays. When you hear terms like "UVGA" or "XVGA", realize that those aren't actual standards, but rather marketing terms (they are, in actuality, SVGA).

Hope this makes it clear as mud.

Cheers,
    D.J.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2006, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by naderbd
    Ho ..sorry i an a beginner on this field...i want to buy a vga or video card for watching movies loaded in my computer on my tv screen ..so i want to know what is the difference between the VGA and The Video card..my computer is pentium 4 so if i bought a 256 mb vga card or video card with 2048x1536 Max.Res. is enough to get a clear stable picture on my 27 inch tv....please help me....
    The problem is that VGA and NTSC (the system used to display images on TV screens) is very different. The card actually converts the signals to NTSC and then sends them to the TV. That's why you need a card with TV Out. So it really doesn't matter what the video card supports, it's the TV Out that matters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ping not recognized as internal or external command [ 9 Answers ]

When running cmd C:\Documents and Settings\... \ping I get the following error 'ping' is not recognized as an internal or external command. Please help me solve my problem Thanks

Do I have to uninstall my video card? [ 10 Answers ]

A few months back I purchased Doom 3, as an interim game to play while waiting for the release of Half Life 2. My Compaq Presario's onboard video card handled the game with no problems. When Half Life 2 was released, I purchased it and installed it, only to find that my onboard video card...

Video Editing on a External Drive [ 3 Answers ]

I have an external Hardrive and would like to use it for Video Editing, when I Try to install software i.e. nero 6 suite, it always goes to my exsisting Drive Which is very nearly full. Is there anyway I can use my external Drive for this purpose. Many thanks ronat75.

Video card [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, The problem is that I can't get anymore than 16 colors. I have purchased two different VGA card with cd holding the software (drivers). Here's my PC info please help Thanks .

Help with video card [ 1 Answers ]

I was given an older pc. I had to reformat and now I'm having problems with the display. From what I can see, my video card is a 3D-FX. How can I find which version and where can I find the drivers for it. Operating Win95.

View more questions Search