Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WINR Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2007, 10:37 AM
    NYC Does MONEY matter when findg ATTORN. For Child support for Wealthy DeadBEAT Dad
    I'm in a jam! I have to sue my x for child support! My son is several month old and he hasn't even met him! He left the day I went to give birth!
    He is very well off and so I need a great attorney. Im afraid that because I don't have a lot of money, he may be able to out spend me with a better attorney hence, not paying what's righfully owed to my son.

I live in NYC and he lives across the country.. how can I screen one out and what questions should I ask so that I don't get haggle by an overpriced attorney!
    this is a serious matter and if I don't choose the right attorney.. it may cost my son thousands of dollars (long term)

can anyone recommend a lawyer in NYC?

Does it matter how great the attorney is for this kind of situation? I ask because I know that NYC has a formula to assess the amount entitled to my son and so am I making it more complicated than it is in finding a lawyer?

If he has money in his business but its incorporated... will he be able to hide funds?
    K_2 Posts: 92, Reputation: 5

Nov 5, 2007, 04:44 PM
    First, if he left the day you gave birth, has paternity been established? This has to be done before you can get child support.

Second, have you tried going through Child Support Enforcement to get paternity established and child support ordered? This will save you the cost of an attorney.

You also need to go to court and get custody and visitation all set in writing.

If NYC has a formula that is used, then it doesn't matter what attorney you get. They aren't going to be able to get more than what the law says.

If he is a business owner and self employed, the courts will more than likely use his tax records to set child support.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2007, 06:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by WINR
    Does it matter how great the attorney is for this kind of situation? If he has money in his business but its incorporated ... will he be able to hide funds?
    Hello W:

Yes, it DOES matter, especially if your ex is HIDING money.

Interview lots of them. Hire the one you're comfortable with.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 6, 2007, 06:41 AM
    Go down to the Family Court, ask for recommendations there. As excon said, interview several. Ask for references from other clients and contact them.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Unless he has income other than work wages, it should be fairly easy. Child support is based on a simple formula calculated with your income and his. But you seem to think this is already going to get messy, so I would call around and get free consults with different attorneys and see which one works with you best.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2007, 03:59 PM
    In NYS child support - if he is proven to be the father - is by statute - the non custodial parent pays "x" percent of his/her income. Rest of assets does not matter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dad not doing his part, CHILD SUPPORT? [ 2 Answers ]

4 yrs ago me and my x-bf broken up with 2 children, his name isn't on the birth certificate but he made me go with him to the lawyer to sign a paper saying that I have the kids during the school year and he has them only for the summer and that I can't ask for child support from him. I sign the...

Child Support Money [ 5 Answers ]

My question is if my child's mother is collecting FIB (welfare). When I pay my child support of $85 does she get the whole amount or just a percentage. Also, back child support if I have arrearges does she collect the whole amount owed or does the state Get my back child support. Please help

Who Gets the Child Support Money [ 4 Answers ]

I currently have 2 daughters with my ex girl and pay child support. My oldest daughter (17 yrs) is not living with the mother but with the aunt (I have proof that she's living there) for over 4 months and not getting a dime from the child support money. She graduating from HS in June and is going...

Child support NYC after 18years old [ 1 Answers ]

I have full custody of my daughter and her father pays child support through the courts. My daughter turned 18 years old 2 weeks ago and does not like to follow my rules at home so she went to live with her father. She plans to attend college in sept. Do I have to pay support now that she has moved...

View more questions Search