Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djmidnight Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2007, 06:05 AM
    Can a 16 year old and a 13 year old date?
    Hi! I have just turned 16 and I am dating a 13 year old, and I was wondering if that is "OK". We are both virgins, and we DO both love each other very much. WE both know our limits when it comes to the relationship, niether one of us would go further than the other would want to at anything. Yes I have just turned 16, and yes lot of guys that age aren't in it for love, but I can say that I am. I am not going to say.. ohh I don't want sex, for any guy would like that, but I know the limits. You might think she is immature, but she is not. We like to play around and stuff like that but at the same time we can still be serious and have normal conversations and what not without it getting "silly". Of course, I am more or less afraid of what her parents will think about it. My first thought is they may not like the whole idea, but maybe if we explain all this to them they won't have a problem.
    Please help me out on this one! Thanks!
    coolabe87 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Nov 3, 2007, 06:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by djmidnight
    Hi! i have just turned 16 and i am dating a 13 year old, and i was wondering if that is "OK". We are both virgins, and we DO both love each other very much. WE both know our limits when it comes to the relationship, niether one of us would go further than the other would want to at anything. Yes I have just turned 16, and yes lot of guys that age arent in it for love, but i can say that i am. I am not going to say..ohh i dont want sex, for any guy would like that, but i know the limits. You might think she is immature, but she is not. We like to play around and stuff like that but at the same time we can still be serious and have normal conversations and what not without it getting "silly". Of course, i am more or less afraid of what her parents will think about it. My first thought is they may not like the whole idea, but maybe if we explain all this to them they wont have a problem.
    please help me out on this one! thanks!
    No that's just wrong
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2007, 06:58 AM
    Its not likely to be okay with her parents. I know it wouldn't be okay for my daughter. And I wonder how her parents don't already know about this, where are they??
    Keatts16 Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Nov 4, 2007, 10:56 AM
    Legally yes.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 4, 2007, 11:05 AM
    There is nothing illegal about dating. The legalities come when having sexual relations.

However, I can't understand how you can think you are dating if her parents are not on board with this. A 13 yr old should definitely not be dating without her parents knowledge.

I would wait until she's 14 and then let her get her parent's permission.
    Miss Sparkle Posts: 111, Reputation: 6

Nov 6, 2007, 04:47 AM
    To most people it would seem that you are taking advantage of this young girl. Just treat her with respect and don't engage in sexual activities, she's not old enough and you could be prosecuted. Just enjoy eachothers company and see how your relationship progresses
    La Siesta Encantada Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 10:26 AM
    NO that is not OK. Think of it this way. She has only reached her first year of being a teenager. Sorry if you don't want to hear this but my guess is that she has not even reach puberty yet. I dated a 16 year old guy when I was 14 and I regret it until this day. BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE. Please if you can let her stay a kid as long as possible and find someone closer to your age to date. Not to mention if something were to happen that she pressed charges against you that you can be tried as an adult in court at the age of 16. I can't make you do anything. But use your common sense and DO NOT PUSH HER INTO ANYTHING, she is young and gullable. It will be best for the both of you.
    confused4 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2007, 10:53 AM
    OK, I know a lot of people "just say this", but I dated a guy who was 17 when I was 13. And... idk. He didn't take advantage of me. But for me, when I told my parents they FLIPPED. It was honestly the worst time in my life because my parents neva trusted me. It was horrible. However, of her parents were OK with it it might be a different story. But if there not, please take my advice, and Don't do that to her. If you really love her, then you both can wait and be friends for a while intill she hits 14 or 15. That would make the situation a hole lot more better
    wonderingirlfriend Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 01:01 AM
    Hey there I was 13 when I dated a 16 year old and our relationship was great his parents knew about and so did mine but my parents never freaked on me they said now that I'm a teenager and will make my own mistakes and learn from them but they also guided me in to the relationship also they told me about sex and stuff and they helped me they didn't really care but they also did care a lot when he broke my heart my parents were there just don't rush in to anything with this girl and yes I say it's just fine as long as it's not a sexual contact relationship
    godsbabygirl267 Posts: 175, Reputation: 11

Nov 22, 2007, 11:40 PM
    TECHNICALLY YES YOU CAN.
    I am also a 13 year old girl and to me age does not matter. Almost all of my guy friends are older than me and all of my boyfriends have been older. THe parents in the situation, may not like it so much. If it was the other way around then it might not be a problem. I can't say first hand, but dads seem to be more protective over their daughters than their sons. I can't really be all that intune with dads though because mine lives 3 states away and I only see him 3 times a year. Mom is also always really busy with stuff and hardly ever notices what I do. Anyway, Age should never create an issue in a relationship, however, in this scary world in which we live, its basically all that matters to people outside of a relationship. Don't let that affect you and her. However, I do not support the main obvective of most guys. SEX DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, take advantage of her and tell her things like, You're pretty, or I love you, or Ill always be here for you, just to get her to have sex with you. That's not right. Obviously she can't be emotionally mature enough to do that. No matter how intellecutally secure and emotionally stable she may act, she can't be ready yet. You can love her though. And you can and should support her and let her know that someone in this big old world loves her. If not that, you can be her friend, her brother, even her boyfriend, but not her LOVER.
    That's about it
    L4<3
    Nikki
    carly381 Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Nov 23, 2007, 04:02 AM
    I Think That if you two love each other then forget the age I've gone out with younger gus and older it doesn't matter about age her parents should be willing to look past the age and see that you really love her with your heart !
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Nov 23, 2007, 05:12 AM
    Age does matter when you're 13 and he's 16 or when one is a minor and the other one is not. Love has nothing to do with it. She is too young to be dating and you are too old to be trying date her.
    I know if it were my daughter, I would have a fit and would be having a conversation with your parents.

Nov 23, 2007, 06:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by carly381
    I Think That if you two love each other then forget the age ive gone out with younger gus and older it doesnt matter about age her parents should be willing to look past the age and see that you really love her with your heart !
    When one is in their adolescence they are more often than not more in love with the concept of being in love then actually in love with someone. Kids in their adolescence don't have the maturity and experience to truly judge whether they are really in love or not. Sure it feels like love to them, but it rarely is.

Age doesn't matter when both are adults, but it certainly does matter when one or both are minors. Part of the responsibility of parents is to make judgements that their children are not experienced enough to make. They know that what I said about adolescents and love is true. That's why parents aren't so willing to look beyond the age because they can see the difference between love and infatuation.
    hennyxlb Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2007, 11:37 AM
    Who says what its not breaking the law at all and if you like each other why not its no one els business is it good luck together
    steffy_bear Posts: 47, Reputation: -2

Nov 24, 2007, 12:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by djmidnight
    Hi! i have just turned 16 and i am dating a 13 year old, and i was wondering if that is "OK". We are both virgins, and we DO both love each other very much. WE both know our limits when it comes to the relationship, niether one of us would go further than the other would want to at anything. Yes I have just turned 16, and yes lot of guys that age arent in it for love, but i can say that i am. I am not going to say..ohh i dont want sex, for any guy would like that, but i know the limits. You might think she is immature, but she is not. We like to play around and stuff like that but at the same time we can still be serious and have normal conversations and what not without it getting "silly". Of course, i am more or less afraid of what her parents will think about it. My first thought is they may not like the whole idea, but maybe if we explain all this to them they wont have a problem.
    please help me out on this one! thanks!
    That is totally okay. As much as people want to think it is wrong, age is just a number. Most of the time parents will dissagree but you two will have to be stronger than that, trust me I know. I went through that at a point in my life as well. I was 13 dating a 17 year old, 14 dating an 18 year old, and 14 dating a 17 year old. Age is just a number and if it was meant to be, it will happen.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Nov 24, 2007, 04:49 AM
    I meant to add to the above reddie, that it is wrong to encourage teens to do things against their parents wishes. That is not being strong, that is being disobedient.
    There is no way I would have allowed a 16 year old boy around my 13 year old daughter. Parents are supposed to make sure their kids are not doing things that aren't good for them. Just because something may be meant to happen does not mean you don't put some restraints on your teens. People are meant to have sex and babies but you don't just give your young teens free range to do it.
    A 13 year old girl is not ready for a relationship, let alone with a 16 year old boy with raging hormones.
    Like I said earlier, me and your parents would be having a chat about my daughter.
    oreo630 Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Nov 24, 2007, 01:37 PM
    Well I'm 13 but most people thnk I'm 14 or 15 because I already went through puberty and developed so a lot of older guys look at me atnd they just want some I just know it. So many people are going to say that you just want to get some from her but you have 2 prove to them that your different because alll boys want is sex. And you know its true so yea. Hope I helped
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Nov 24, 2007, 02:43 PM
    Let's pretend that she is my daughter and you have just asked my permission to date her...
    I'm now hollering for my husband who is going to explain a few life lessons to you, and if that doesn’t sink in then maybe he will shove it down your throat with his fist. How is that for a NO.
    steffy_bear Posts: 47, Reputation: -2

Dec 1, 2007, 06:08 PM
    For stonewilder, I really haven't really got around that much, just because I date older guys doesn't mean that I won't responsible. Just because someone is dating someone it doesn't mean that and that is exactly what everyone is thinking. I'm sorry but if the parents trust their child enough then why not? I'm also straightedge so that means I don't have sex before marriage, do drugs, or drink. I'm sorry but age is really just a number and it is someone's choice if they would like to date older or younger no matter what everyone else thinks, because in life no one really cares about everyone's else's opinions.

Dec 1, 2007, 06:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by steffy_bear
    I'm sorry but if the parents trust their child enough then why not? I'm also straightedge so that means I don't have sex before marriage, do drugs, or drink. I'm sorry but age is really just a number and it is someones choice if they would like to date older or younger no matter what everyone else thinks,
    First, If you read the OP, you will see that her parents don't know about. He specifically stated he was afraid what they will think. So we don't know if the parents are OK with it.

Second, those of us that are mature have repeatedly said that age DOES matter when one or both of the parties are minors. This is because minors are still developing and maturing. As children mature they go through different stages, and the difference between those stages can be a wide gulf at just a few years. When both parties are adults, then age differences are not a real factor, but for minors it is.

Third, as minors, they still are subject to parental care and concerns. So it is NOT entirely their choice.

So please stop giving such bad advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm 11 and I'm in love with a 16 year old can I date him? [ 98 Answers ]

OK.. I'm 11 years old and I'm in love with a 16 year old. Can I date him without one of us getting in trouble? We don't want to have sex. We just want to hangout,hold hands, hug and a kiss every now and then, That's all. What do I do? I love him so much and he loves me back. Can I date him?

I'm in love with a 14 year old and I am 19, can we date without getting in trouble? [ 76 Answers ]

Hi, Me and my friend are deeply in love with each other! And what I want to know is, is it OK for me to date her without getting in trouble. If there isn't no sexual inter actions with each other. I'm 19 and she's 14. I would appreciate the help !

Is it legal for a 25 year old and a 16 year old to date in pa [ 59 Answers ]

:confused:is it legal for a 25 year old and a 16 year old to date in pa and if not why

6-year Indian Student, 1040EZ but claiming social security taxes from 5th year. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and all at the same university in NYC. This will be my first year filing the 1040EZ, and I have a few Q's... Four questions: * Is the 1040EZ form the...

View more questions Search